First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
I recently mounted four Falcon AT3 wild peaks 285/65/R18 with the stock rims and a 3” leveling kits. I’m very pleased with the handling and the appearance. I’m thinking the spare tire needs to be replaced with the same rims and tires. I discovered the Falkon ATs with the 18” rims may not fit under the truck, which is really disappointing. I need some input from the Ranger 5G team. Do I keep the original spare tire? Has anyone been successful in mounting the a larger tire, 285/65/R18 in the spare tire well? Thank ahead for the feedback.

0F6ECF78-539D-45E4-869D-23879116F0CF.jpeg

59E75E5B-9CAA-4D57-80F9-80712B9A7076.jpeg

A1955B06-59A2-4557-8D5F-9E9B8058E247.jpeg
Sponsored

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Will the tire not fit due to width or diameter?
If it was due to width you could buy a 265/70r18 tire and get the same 32.6" diameter. Just a skinnier tire..

If it wont fit due to diameter.. then it might require adding a tire carrier.. either in the bed "5th wheel" carrier or tail gate mounted..

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Matt, just a question. With respect, is there a reason you want to spend that much money on a spare tire on the low chance you'll need it one day? I don't think any damage will be done to the drive train unless you have to drive 100 miles to a tires shop.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Matt, just a question. With respect, is there a reason you want to spend that much money on a spare tire on the low chance you'll need it one day? I don't think any damage will be done to the drive train unless you have to drive 100 miles to a tires shop.
I'm not so sure after a recent experience with a flat...fortunately it was at home so I used one of my original 265 set sitting in the garage...swapped it for the slow leak left rear and proceeded to drive roughly 5 miles to the nearest tire shop...carefully...wouldn't you know it...after a couple of miles, warning started to pop up that had no relation to the tire change...like front collision sensor malfunction, lane keep assist malfunction and something else I forgot...once I got the fixed tire installed back on, the warnings went away and never came back...got me spooked though...?

OP
OP
Mattvanderfeltz
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
Will the tire not fit due to width or diameter?
If it was due to width you could buy a 265/70r18 tire and get the same 32.6" diameter. Just a skinnier tire..

If it wont fit due to diameter.. then it might require adding a tire carrier.. either in the bed "5th wheel" carrier or tail gate mounted..

OP
OP
Mattvanderfeltz
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
Thank you Nathan for the input. It will not fit due to the diameter of the tire. I’m leaning toward not spending the money and keep the original spare and use it for my back up.

OP
OP
Mattvanderfeltz
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager

OP
OP
Mattvanderfeltz
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
I'm not so sure after a recent experience with a flat...fortunately it was at home so I used one of my original 265 set sitting in the garage...swapped it for the slow leak left rear and proceeded to drive roughly 5 miles to the nearest tire shop...carefully...wouldn't you know it...after a couple of miles, warning started to pop up that had no relation to the tire change...like front collision sensor malfunction, lane keep assist malfunction and something else I forgot...once I got the fixed tire installed back on, the warnings went away and never came back...got me spooked though...?
Thank you for the feedback. Based on the wonderful feedback I'm getting I'm going to keep the spare in place as I can use as you stated to get me to the tire repair shop. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Mattvanderfeltz
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
Great input. I decided not to waste the $250 for the spare