First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Automotive Detailing
I'm getting rid of my OEM catted downpipe, but want to save the OEM to put back on when I trade in my truck. :cool:

Anyway, i'm looking for a flange for the custom downpipe i'm putting together. The picture shows a good angle of the flange I need to hook it up. YES, I know the picture displayed is catted.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 4.11.36 PM.png

I was thinking that I could just 3D scan it, and plasma cut it. Thoughts? :whew:

My other concern is throwing a code when I do this. Any way to get rid of that... a tune or a defouler right?
Would having the check engine light on all the time do anything negative to the truck?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To start the simple answer is to not do a cat delete and there are reasons for it.

#1 it is against Federal Law to remove it. It has become so common that you will have one hell of a time getting a local tuner to take the logic out. Get cought and you will pay some hefty fines.

#2 believe it or not when in good working order the Catalytic Converter will help keep the Exhaust from giving a horrible smell. I know because my old 280ZX has it deleted and it was a horrible smell.

#3 if you want more performance(as I'm sure that is the goal) you should be able to spend some money on a high flow Catalytic Converter that has.proven performance gains and is still Emission Compliant(and has way less chance of you getting in trouble.

That's my input and I hope you follow it

Miles Mac

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Super Cab STX 4X4
Occupation
Aircraft Parts Mfg.
There is more to the down pipe than just cutting a flange and bolting it on, watch the following video of doing mine and at the 2:20 time stamp, you'll see the machined ring that extends into the turbo from the flange. This ring is necessary for proper flow and to prevent leaks. reprograming is absolutely necessary if removing the cat, and it WILL cause running issues if you just pull it and let the check engine light on.... Just don't do it, the computer system on this engine is too complex, it's not a 90's chevy throttle body! I'm a do-it-your-self guy with a machine shop and CNC plasma equipment, and I spent the $750 for a catted down pipe, runs great with no engine lights or issues.

OP
OP
tygr2007

tygr2007

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Automotive Detailing
🙏🏼
There is more to the down pipe than just cutting a flange and bolting it on, watch the following video of doing mine and at the 2:20 time stamp, you'll see the machined ring that extends into the turbo from the flange. This ring is necessary for proper flow and to prevent leaks. reprograming is absolutely necessary if removing the cat, and it WILL cause running issues if you just pull it and let the check engine light on.... Just don't do it, the computer system on this engine is too complex, it's not a 90's chevy throttle body! I'm a do-it-your-self guy with a machine shop and CNC plasma equipment, and I spent the $750 for a catted down pipe, runs great with no engine lights or issues.
Thanks for the write up and showing the ring around the flange. I ended up having someone make the pipe and weld on the flange that I made.

I see what you’re saying about the flange ring, that’ll have to be something I add. Wish you wrote that sooner and I would’ve saved myself some time.

However I did put defoulers on the pipe made and put in the sensors… no codes yet! Next step will be tearing it off and adding this ring. Thanks!

Will post pictures eventually
Sponsored