Best A-Pillar light option - Baja or Rigid?

Ranger Tremor

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor
Yes I just hacked off all of the extra stuff (switch, relay) it came with and hooked the negative to the frame and the positive to the upfitter wiring coming out of the aux fuse box. I wanted the lights to be independent, so I used switch 4 for the left ditch light and switch 5 for the right ditch light. That keeps them under the 5A max for those switches as well.

Otherwise you should put them on switch 1-3 if you want to operate them with a single switch. Another alternative is to keep the relay and use the upfitter switch to power the relay. That would let you use switch4-6 to power them both.

I went with the FP Rigid kit simply because they have the extra strip of lights on the outside, letting me point them straight while still getting good peripheral coverage.
Can you show me a picture of the connections? I've been trying to figure out how much to cut off the harness. I don't want to cut too much off.
Sponsored

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Kind of stupid. But I was hoping I could turn the peripherals on individually. Along with the ditch lights individually as well. Probably way too complicated for my electrical know how.
The periphery lights are not wired independently. I don't know how you would even enable this.

Can you show me a picture of the connections? I've been trying to figure out how much to cut off the harness. I don't want to cut too much off.
All you need is the hot and ground wire going into the lights. Keep them as long as you possibly can until you go to actually wire them up, then trim them to fit. I cut off everything that wasn't simply wire.

Ranger Tremor

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor
The periphery lights are not wired independently. I don't know how you would even enable this.

All you need is the hot and ground wire going into the lights. Keep them as long as you possibly can until you go to actually wire them up, then trim them to fit. I cut off everything that wasn't simply wire.
So I don't need the black box on the harness or the extra fuse? That makes it way easier. Thank you man I've been confused and scared to cut anything for a week lol

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So I don't need the black box on the harness or the extra fuse? That makes it way easier. Thank you man I've been confused and scared to cut anything for a week lol

Yup, the fuse, the harness, and the switch are all basically built into the upfitter switches. The lights come with them because most people will need them, but all we need are the wires going directly into the light.

Ranger Tremor

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor
Yup, the fuse, the harness, and the switch are all basically built into the upfitter switches. The lights come with them because most people will need them, but all we need are the wires going directly into the light.
Man you are a lifesaver. So let me just get it right. Red to one of the colored wires from the upfitter box. Black to ground. And I should be good?

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Man you are a lifesaver. So let me just get it right. Red to one of the colored wires from the upfitter box. Black to ground. And I should be good?
Yup, just choose your ground point properly. There are plenty around the engine bay, use one of them because you need a bare metal connection. I crimped on ring connectors for the ground wires and used a butt splice for the 12v connection.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The little black cap thing on the end of the wires from the upfitter, do you cut that whole thing off?
Your choice. I left some of it on, but if it is in your way you can just cut it

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I have searched through previous posts here and read a lot of information about A-pillar / ditch light options and still cannot make up my mind.

I was leaning towards the Baja Squardron Pro. Does anyone know the specific D-SS series light that comes in the FP Rigid kit or what the lumen rating is for comparison?

I have the Tremor package on my truck with the prewired aux switches and fuse box and am not sure if the kits offered by FP (Rigid) or Baja Designs would make sense as the wiring harness they come with might be useless with the Tremor aux switches? I was also looking at the A-pillar harness for the aux switches that SPV offers.

The Baja and Rigid lights can be purchased individually outside of the above mentioned kits but neither seem to offer the brackets standalone. I was looking at standalone brackets from Diode Dynamics and SPV. They all seem to be different and I could use a recommendation on which is best. Glare on the hood of the truck is a concern. The FP Rigid kit's brackets seem to place the light very low and close to the hood of the truck making for the most low profile option. Diode Dynamics brackets appear to offset the lights towards the fenders. The SPV brackets and the brackets that come with the Baja kit seem to provide similar placement.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-15200-RHM

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Ford-Ranger-2019-A-Pillar-Kits.asp

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...y-vehicles-see-details?variant=40532266123430

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...-sold-separately?_pos=21&_sid=6aeadfa75&_ss=r

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-led-ditch-light-kit-for-2019-2021-ford-ranger.html
I have the specialty performance ones with rigid lights.
Sponsored