Ask for a purchase agreement, lose order tracking ability?

FrogDarner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
An interesting turn of events while waiting for my ordered Ranger. The online order tracker stopped working for me last week and just keeps giving me an error message. Up until then it said my Ranger would be in between the 19th and 25th. It's now the 26th, and no sign of it.

I called the dealership who said: We can no longer track it once it's "sold", hopefully we see it this week.
I called Ford and their tracking person said: Hmmmm, your VIN isnt' coming up, and it's saying something about being sold.

This all coincides with the day I got a purchase agreement from the dealer on about the 21st, to take to the CU to secure financing. The day the tracker online stopped working.

Thought this might help someone in the future. I guess learned that, if you want to track your truck to delivery, you may not want to do any paperwork just yet.

Anyone else have their truck "disappear" after getting a purchase agreement?
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
An interesting turn of events while waiting for my ordered Ranger. The online order tracker stopped working for me last week and just keeps giving me an error message. Up until then it said my Ranger would be in between the 19th and 25th. It's now the 26th, and no sign of it.

I called the dealership who said: We can no longer track it once it's "sold", hopefully we see it this week.
I called Ford and their tracking person said: Hmmmm, your VIN isnt' coming up, and it's saying something about being sold.

This all coincides with the day I got a purchase agreement from the dealer on about the 21st, to take to the CU to secure financing. The day the tracker online stopped working.

Thought this might help someone in the future. I guess learned that, if you want to track your truck to delivery, you may not want to do any paperwork just yet.

Anyone else have their truck "disappear" after getting a purchase agreement?
Did your CU require a purchase agreement for financing?
Seems to me a purchase order would have sufficed...

OP
OP

FrogDarner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Did your CU require a purchase agreement for financing?
Seems to me a purchase order would have sufficed...
That's what they asked for to finalize financing, not approve financing. As soon as the dealership created it the vehicle was considered "sold" in the system and that's why tracking disappeared.

I could have certainly waited but I wanted to get the down payment cashiers check from the CU so I'd be ready to go, which I was, and picked up my ranger hours after arrival.

It did show up days after the estimated arrival date so that was the only issue was no one could track it.

A benefit to doing it this way.... My ford pass points got going in the background as soon as it was "sold" so when it arrived I clicked the button on the screen and my points were available by the time I walked over to the parts department.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
That's what they asked for to finalize financing, not approve financing. As soon as the dealership created it the vehicle was considered "sold" in the system and that's why tracking disappeared.

I could have certainly waited but I wanted to get the down payment cashiers check from the CU so I'd be ready to go, which I was, and picked up my ranger hours after arrival.

It did show up days after the estimated arrival date so that was the only issue was no one could track it.

A benefit to doing it this way.... My ford pass points got going in the background as soon as it was "sold" so when it arrived I clicked the button on the screen and my points were available by the time I walked over to the parts department.
I completely understand the process of the tracking info being lost because of the purchase agreement being generated.

However I'd be very hesitant to endorse (if you in fact did) such an agreement without the truck in my physical possession, just saying.

But, to be completely honest with you, I don't remember what documents I provided to my bank in the past for financing, besides tracking information was not easily available back then as it is now.
Sponsored