First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I bought my White Platinum Lariat (Chrome package) truck from dealer stock in mid-December 2019 and have been very happy with my first truck. I had no issues until I recently noticed that the following areas don't appear to be covered with the White Platinum paint, only something like Oxford White: small sections above wheel openings, door opening areas, under hood. Has anyone else with a White Platinum Ranger noticed a similar condition?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my White Platinum Lariat (Chrome package) truck from dealer stock in mid-December 2019 and have been very happy with my first truck. I had no issues until I recently noticed that the following areas don't appear to be covered with the White Platinum paint, only something like Oxford White: small sections above wheel openings, door opening areas, under hood. Has anyone else with a White Platinum Ranger noticed a similar condition?
Hi Ben,

My White Platinum Lariat does not seem to have this concern...built in Feb 2019...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No issues here.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
No issues with mine that I’m aware of.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Ben mine is this way also,appears to be Oxford white in door jams and under hood. No metallic or pearl compared to body color. Im sure others are like this also,platinum white is a multi stage paint and costs more so I guess Ford is trying to save some money. Bret

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
This is a standard procedure for many auto manufacturers. Oxford white is not the base color for the tri-coat. It is actually a reflective base color. What you are seeing is the primary base color. There is no loss of UV protection or durability. Does it save the company money, I suppose so but that is not the primary reason behind the process. Productivity and exterior color consistency is the main focus.

OP
OP

RangerBen

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for all replies. As Bret suggests, fr after year builds I am wondering if this is a similar cost cut as the four bed tie downs. Attached are pictures.
0321201900_HDR.jpg
0321201857.jpg
0321201857b.jpg
0321201857c.jpg
0321201857d.jpg
0321201858.jpg
0321201900.jpg

OP
OP

RangerBen

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Been a while since my last post. Have been observing COVID-19 protections to the max and have had plenty of time to get worked up over my white platinum paint coverage issue on my beautiful Ranger.

I mostly get annoyed about the slight color difference on the wheel well trim pieces. A couple of weeks ago I saw a slightly older F150 white platinum (or similar color) truck with much different color wheel trim pieces. Since then all I can think about is that image of my future Ranger wheel trim pieces.

For any person with the same problems as mine, have you addressed the issue with FORD? Have you thought about how you would approach proving that the issue exists and then approach Ford?
I am looking for color spectroscopy devices now.
Sponsored