@Engineers: Cantilever Deflection Question (Non-Static Load)

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jack,

you have not given much in the way of loading info on the cantilevered part of the structure, but where the cantilever begins will be your weakest point. Since you are worried about cyclic fatique vs monotonic yield, this is where you need gussets or a flat piece of steel the runs most of the overhang and ties back to the main supported structure This flat steel should be taller than the side of the frame material (This can be added separately later of you discover you need reinforcement. If I was still working we would do this analysis based on your load case and likely take the load times 1.5g for a safety factor. Since I do not have that capability I can't really comment further, but the design appears quite robust. Now about Grade of bolt. If the bolts are in Shear, Grade 5 is better. If the bolts are to clamp two surfaces together, then Grade 8 is better Grade 5 tolerates clamping but is way better in shear than "brittle" Grade 8...

Best,
Phil
Man! I was waiting for someone to mention monatomic yield. No roof rack discussion would be complete without it! I mean, you always want that s&$t..or..maybe you never want it..

Getting back to cat videos now..
Sponsored