Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You wanting to get rammed again? :LOL:

At $700, you're a good chunk of the way towards a nice aftermarket bumper. Finding a chrome one will be tough though.

I replaced mine with an aftermarket unit with the corner steps and it's one of the best things I've done to my truck.

And yes, the rear bumper is a pain to deal with. Even my aftermarket bumper used the skeleton of the factory bumper and was a chore to install.

I don't have a pic of just the bumper but you can see it here.

IMG_0864.jpeg
Sponsored

passthrough

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
My wife backed my previous F150 into one of those yellow cement filled pipes that protect stuff from cars. Crushed the bumper up to the point where I could only open the gate half way. I did the research and found the same expensive bumper parts and decided I would try to fix it myself before spending the money.

Once under there it was only a handful of bolts that held the shell to the bumper. The plastic bumper cap on mine had all but 2 if the plastic tabs broken or damaged. You can use a needle nose pliers to compress them to detach the bumper cap. Then remove the bolts and the bumper shell will come out. Mine was painted so I taped it up fully with blue painters tape to try and protect the painted surface. I used a large block of wood to be the "anvil". Then used a short 2x4 piece and a claw hammer to pound from the back and remove the dents. Body hammers would work if you have them and maybe provide a level of finesse that I didn't have. When I thought I was close I peeled the tape and compared to the other side for contour. I ended up retaping and pounding more. I had to beat on it quite a bit to straighten it out. It is pretty stout metal so you will have to hit it pretty hard. Once I was good with the shape, I peeled tape again and used a cleaner wax to shine up the piece and put it back on. The fix was good enough to get by my trade in on my ranger, there was no mention of the bumper and I was not dinged for any damage.

Your damage is slight compared to what I had. Sadly I don't have any pics of it as I was less than happy about the situation and didn't think to take any. If you are handy at all you should be able to tap the dent out enough to not notice it nearly as much and save your money.