• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

Brake Controller Question

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi Mark,

I believe this was calculated before. I made a decimal error but it was corrected by another engineer and the Fox Ford spring was 14% stiffer...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil unrelated topic springs I have a question for a Ranger engineering person.
I had the Ford Trailer Brake installed 4 months ago and I figured out it was not working. Took it back in twice and was told it was wired properly on install but they would check with Ford to see what the factory says. My 2019 XLT did not come with tow package and dealer added a Ford hitch, at the back of the truck is a 4 pin trailer connector so I bought from etrailer a 4/7 conversion plug. Dealer is now telling me that Ford said unless the 7 plug was factory installed it won’t work and there is no harness conversion available from Ford and they would remove it and refund my money. There have been comments on this forum that my dealer is full of crap. For now I am using a Curt Echo which works but I really would rather have a Ford brake controller that keeps the emergency stopping feature working. Can you advise what I need, a link someone sent has a Ford 7 pin but no wiring included and the harness they showed was for the back up sensors I believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil unrelated topic springs I have a question for a Ranger engineering person.
I had the Ford Trailer Brake installed 4 months ago and I figured out it was not working. Took it back in twice and was told it was wired properly on install but they would check with Ford to see what the factory says. My 2019 XLT did not come with tow package and dealer added a Ford hitch, at the back of the truck is a 4 pin trailer connector so I bought from etrailer a 4/7 conversion plug. Dealer is now telling me that Ford said unless the 7 plug was factory installed it won’t work and there is no harness conversion available from Ford and they would remove it and refund my money. There have been comments on this forum that my dealer is full of crap. For now I am using a Curt Echo which works but I really would rather have a Ford brake controller that keeps the emergency stopping feature working. Can you advise what I need, a link someone sent has a Ford 7 pin but no wiring included and the harness they showed was for the back up sensors I believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Joe,

This topic has been covered in quite detail with others like you being handed a bag of crap from the dealer. One solution is to find another dealer, but lets take this one step at a time. A search for "What are you towing?" should be a good starting part on the forums.

I am guessing your etrailer adapter is for a 4pin OEM connector to mirror a 7 pin? If this is the case you do not have full 7 pin functionality for a brake controller. I would discard this adapter if this is the case.

If you contact LevitTown Ford they will be able to supply you with a 7 pin wiring harness and connector that is Ford OEM and plug and play with your Ford OEM RedArc brake controller. The difficulty with this Ford loom is the install of the 7 pin connector in the bumper. There is a cutout in the steel bumper but you have to cut the plastic fascia, and as they say "Results may vary".

I would also be concerned with the Dealer's install and have another dealer verify the install is actually correct. Getting proper functionality is critical for trailer tow and this dealer you are currently using is suspect in my mind.

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi Joe,

This topic has been covered in quite detail with others like you being handed a bag of crap from the dealer. One solution is to find another dealer, but lets take this one step at a time. A search for "What are you towing?" should be a good starting part on the forums.

I am guessing your etrailer adapter is for a 4pin OEM connector to mirror a 7 pin? If this is the case you do not have full 7 pin functionality for a brake controller. I would discard this adapter if this is the case.

If you contact LevitTown Ford they will be able to supply you with a 7 pin wiring harness and connector that is Ford OEM and plug and play with your Ford OEM RedArc brake controller. The difficulty with this Ford loom is the install of the 7 pin connector in the bumper. There is a cutout in the steel bumper but you have to cut the plastic fascia, and as they say "Results may vary".

I would also be concerned with the Dealer's install and have another dealer verify the install is actually correct. Getting proper functionality is critical for trailer tow and this dealer you are currently using is suspect in my mind.

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, we are out on the road until early August. When I return home i will contact LevitTown for ordering their harness. Glad I am on this forum, I suspected the dealer was not in the know after reading the many posts about the Ford controller
Sponsored