John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be doing a cross country road trip at the end of June and will be spending 3 days in Cascades area, 3 in Olympic. Is anyone here familiar with some trails or backroads/service roads worth checking out while we're out there? Single vehicle so it can't be too technical.
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Sorry. Can’t help you. Just keeping the thread alive for you.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be doing a cross country road trip at the end of June and will be spending 3 days in Cascades area, 3 in Olympic. Is anyone here familiar with some trails or backroads/service roads worth checking out while we're out there? Single vehicle so it can't be too technical.
Which side of the Cascades? Pacific? Sort of guess based on Olympic... If East, there are nice back roads out of Sisters/Bend...

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Which side of the Cascades? Pacific? Sort of guess based on Olympic... If East, there are nice back roads out of Sisters/Bend...
We're staying at North Cascades NP for three days and then three at Olympic. We might be able to catch that area on our way west from Missoula.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We're staying at North Cascades NP for three days and then three at Olympic. We might be able to catch that area on our way west from Missoula.
You camping or hotelling? If camping.....Jim & Mary's in Missoula is excellent

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I would check out Washington state parks website for cool places to visit and camp. reservations fill up fast. WWW.parks.wa.gov

Mount Rainier National Park or Mt St. Helens would make awesome trips while you're in the Cascades.

The Hoh rain forest in Olympic National Park would be a good place to check out.

Most of my off road trips aren't of the overlanding type. I usually drive 10-20 miles out to go plinking. There are a ton of forest service roads, you will probably need northwest forest day pass if you want more discreet camping. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_027010

If you could make it down to Oregon, highway 101 is an Awesome drive with lots of rugged shoreline.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I would check out Washington state parks website for cool places to visit and camp. reservations fill up fast. WWW.parks.wa.gov

Mount Rainier National Park or Mt St. Helens would make awesome trips while you're in the Cascades.

The Hoh rain forest in Olympic National Park would be a good place to check out.

Most of my off road trips aren't of the overlanding type. I usually drive 10-20 miles out to go plinking. There are a ton of forest service roads, you will probably need northwest forest day pass if you want more discreet camping. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_027010

If you could make it down to Oregon, highway 101 is an Awesome drive with lots of rugged shoreline.
We went to Hoh last time we were out there and we have a tent site reserved in the Hoh for three days for this trip

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We went to Hoh last time we were out there and we have a tent site reserved in the Hoh for three days for this trip
Hi John,

Back story on one of the main hiking trails in the Hoh...This trail was cleared during WWII by my now departed best friend, Bill Schmoe.. He rose to COO of Conoco Oil and Executive VP of DuPont. He was 16 at the time, a Quaker and pacifist so pressed into service to his country by clearing a trail through the Hoh to support the invasion watch Towers just in case Japan decided to invade Washington state. Once the trail was cleared he led pack horses to supply the watch towers. He also had a hand in putting out fires from the rice paper incendiary balloons that Japan launched to set the Pacific Northwest forest on fire....Balloons were a failure, but did cause small fires and Bill was injured by one he found when it exploded...fortunately not seriously. Bill passed on at 91 a couple years ago...

Best,
Phil

JimJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FX4. Level2. 2022 SC FX4 on order
Occupation
Retired
I live in Twisp which is on the east side of North cascades national park. Only one highway between east and west side, no off road roads in the park as it is geared towards hikers etc. camp grounds on the west entrance and a few on east side. Check out harts pass north of Mazama . Washingtons highest road. Probably opened and clear of snow by end of June

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Twisp which is on the east side of North cascades national park. Only one highway between east and west side, no off road roads in the park as it is geared towards hikers etc. camp grounds on the west entrance and a few on east side. Check out harts pass north of Mazama . Washingtons highest road. Probably opened and clear of snow by end of June
Ok, great! Thanks for the info.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I forgot to mention that the WA BDR group run thread in the west coast forum might be worth looking into. not sure you want to run a North /South trail though. I'm also looking to try the Natches trail this summer. don't know if it would be considered an overland trail as i think it's only about 40 miles (3hrs) long. A jeep buddy said the 1st couple miles could be tricky but fine after that. he believes a stock 4X4 should have no problem. I'll make a post if I run it this summer.
Sponsored