First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge... until I can get a Ranger when I graduate
Occupation
Structural Engineer
The Truck Rack Systems from Yakima are some pretty great racks, but as the first generation it has some limitations including:
1. Only one tonneau cover works with them
2. Overhaul doesnt go low enough to go below cab
3. Bedrock is not as easily removable as Outpost or Overhaul

I don't particularly want the Retrax cover, so I reached out to Truck Covers USA to see if their American Rack System works with the Tonneau Kit 1. Unfortunately, it does not. However, their source from Yakima says they are developing a way to make the Tracks compatible with the Truck Rack Systems, or at least make them available for more tonneau covers via custom install using some variation of Tracks. In this case, I am considering getting the American Roll Cover and hoping the Outpost or Overhaul eventually become compatible.

Anybody else have any ideas to add to the list before I send it in? Or better yet if you think these ideas are good then suggest them as well! Maybe if Yakima gets enough suggestions they will be implemented.

Yakima Product Idea.jpg
Yakima Product Idea.jpg
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking into some options as well. I didn't want a retractable bed cover, as it's just $$$$ and you can't put any weight on top of it. I've bough a DiamondBack HD cover instead. It can hold 1600lbs and is doesn't waste bed space. The issue I'm having is... I want to put something like the Overhaul on top of the bed cover (removable when I'm not traveling). You apparently can do it by buying the Yakima tracks/rails (t slots) and mounting them on the cover, and putting the overhaul system on top of that (for me, it's for camping). There's not a whole lot of info though, as I don't think the standard rails work with it? I don't care too much about it being over the top, as I'm going to put a rack system over the cab as well, and this way I can adjust so it's one big platform.

I know that went a bit off topic but...

For bikes, you CAN just have the center one reversed, so the handlebars are facing the rear. For bikes, I have a hitch mount Kuat holder. If you need 3 bikes, I think Yakima and Kuat make one that holds up to 4. Also, on the roof rack idea, you can have wider cross bars, and overhang the bikes a bit (just be careful on narrow trails).

OP
OP
j_slate

j_slate

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge... until I can get a Ranger when I graduate
Occupation
Structural Engineer
You apparently can do it by buying the Yakima tracks/rails (t slots) and mounting them on the cover, and putting the overhaul system on top of that
For bikes, you CAN just have the center one reversed, so the handlebars are facing the rear.
I asked Yakima if their Tracks are in any way compatible with the Outpost/Overhaul and they said they are not. When I asked Truck Covers USA they said that Yakima told them that they are developing a solution for it. I dont think that Track/Overhaul system would work YET but keep your eyes open because something may change. In the meantime that is why I am suggesting to them that Tracks be compatible.

Good idea about every other bike facing the rear.... I imagine it'd look a looker sleeker if they all faced forward but I guess it doesn't matter THAT much. I currently have a hitch mount that holds two, but I'm trying to abandon everything that would block the rearview camera, but if needs be I can swap directions of bikes up top and add the hitch as well. Thanks!
Sponsored