Ford Performance Tune and Tire Size

IAFFR

First Name
Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Anyone with 35s running the Ford Performance Tune?

I currently have a 6 inch BDS lift with 35s and used the Rough County speedometer calibration tool (which actually had to be set to 33.5" to get an accurate reading). I would like to run the Ford Performance Tune, but on their website it says "Tire size configurable up to a maximum diameter equivalent to a 265/70/17 tire"...

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB

Is that accurate? If so, does anyone know if I would be able to run the tune in conjunction with the Rough Country speedometer calibration?

20210715_184323.jpg
Sponsored

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Man, never noticed that. Curious what others say. I want the Ford tune but also plan on going 275/70/17 (~32.2") after these Tremor tires wear out.

OP
OP
IAFFR

IAFFR

First Name
Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I ended up sending them an email. They said they do not support anything over 265/70/17.

Just sent Rousch an email this morning to see what their tune supports for tire sizes... may end up going with 5 Star since they offer an extended warranty.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
This has been addressed in a few forum posts already, but I believe it will allow you to modify the tire size beyond the 265/70/17. They just don't officially support it for some odd reason... Plus worse case I don't see why you couldn't go in there after with forscan and adjust it yourself (although i'd recommend checking it with a gps and adjust it from there)

OP
OP
IAFFR

IAFFR

First Name
Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Tune was delivered very quickly...
Just installed it and can confirm that you can change the revs per mile to lower than what Ford states.

I'm currently at 610 with 35" Nitto Grapplers and the speedometer is reading perfect.

Tune definitely wakes the truck up.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this post:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-procal-will-adjust-speedometer-for-new-tire-sizes.9947/

So I'm not sure if the person who emailed me back really knew what they were talking about...

Just went ahead and ordered the tune from FP.
I'm pretty sure it means the warranty would not be honored for a tire size larger then specified. You may want to ask them specifically but I'm pretty sure you can run whatever size you want, but anything above the specified size will not be covered under warranty.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
For those that have the FP tune did you have the dealer or other ASE certified tech install it to get the warranty?

FP is pretty clear that for them to honer the warranty it has to be installed at the dealer or a certified tech. When I installed the FP tune on my Ecoboost Mustang I did it myself but my son is an ASE Master Tech and manages a tire and service center. So I had him generate me a receipt for 1 hours labor. I took that the purchase receipt from Levitown and a copy of his ASE certificate and emailed to the address in the FP warranty document. I received an email response about two hours latter confirming that the tune was registered to my vin.

In regards to tire changes I used the ProCal software to update the revs per mile when I went from 255/40-19 to 275/40-19 tires. I didn't see where there was any limitation on the size you could enter. It did state to record the original number so you could re-enter it if you wanted to revert back to the stock tune. If you don't you will get an error and possible will need to have the ECU flashed by the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited: