First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Before getting into a Ranger, I looked into the Frontier. One of the things that had me interested was the old tech, not as much 'lectronics.
Funny you say that because Nissan still went that route with the new body frontier. Keeping the less fancy tech to keep it more simplified. Some people say it's way behind but then again perhaps it's far ahead because it doesn't have near as many problems. Got to love simple vehicles that do have that little bit extra
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Funny you say that because Nissan still went that route with the new body frontier. Keeping the less fancy tech to keep it more simplified. Some people say it's way behind but then again perhaps it's far ahead because it doesn't have near as many problems. Got to love simple vehicles that do have that little bit extra
Yeah? But I don't like the look of the new body, which also got a new engine and trans.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah? But I don't like the look of the new body, which also got a new engine and trans.
Trust me I'm not a fan of that front end either. I still think it's fugly. As for the new engine and transmission so far they haven't had any issues with them that I'm aware of. The engine itself is still based on the VQ series which has been very reliable over the years. The nine speed transmission they have I'm not too sure of its reliability right off but I haven't seen any people complain. Unfortunately though service unit is a pain in the butt like the 10 speed on the Ranger.

leanit

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
That was my last truck -- a 2013 Pro-4X with the 6-speed. Although it lacked the electronic comforts of the Ranger, it was a lot more sturdy. I hung 257,000 miles on it, but traded it in when I could see its second clutch replacement on the horizon. It's a wonderful truck, and it was made of actual metal instead of whatever tinfoil covers the modern Ranger. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That was my last truck -- a 2013 Pro-4X with the 6-speed. Although it lacked the electronic comforts of the Ranger, it was a lot more sturdy. I hung 257,000 miles on it, but traded it in when I could see its second clutch replacement on the horizon. It's a wonderful truck, and it was made of actual metal instead of whatever tinfoil covers the modern Ranger. Enjoy!
I'm curious what features it did not have that the Ranger had? I won't argue that I do miss the Bluetooth audio as my 2012 does not have it. That said it's not a deal breaker as it has all I really need. Even the GPS is taken care of by my Garmin GPS.

leanit

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm curious what features it did not have that the Ranger had? I won't argue that I do miss the Bluetooth audio as my 2012 does not have it. That said it's not a deal breaker as it has all I really need. Even the GPS is taken care of by my Garmin GPS.
Carplay is new to me, and it's pretty handy for work texts while on the road. My Ranger is a Lariat, so heated seats are nice at times. LED headlights with auto dimming. Better parking sensors on both ends. Mostly it's fancy little gadgets that new cars get, now appearing in trucks. I guess it's 10 years of natural evolution rather than design differences. Nissan had better materials. Much more durable. I've got little dings showing up all over the exterior, and I don't know where they're coming from, as I'm too scared to touch it.

On the downside, I really miss the manual transmission, the sturdy construction, and the track system in the bed to tie down cargo. Nissan had that right for a long time, and overall it was much more of a truck. The Ranger is comfy and quiet and goes down the road like a car. MPG is better too. The automatic will be nice for towing the race car. Everything is a compromise, I suppose.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Carplay is new to me, and it's pretty handy for work texts while on the road. My Ranger is a Lariat, so heated seats are nice at times. LED headlights with auto dimming. Better parking sensors on both ends. Mostly it's fancy little gadgets that new cars get, now appearing in trucks. I guess it's 10 years of natural evolution rather than design differences. Nissan had better materials. Much more durable. I've got little dings showing up all over the exterior, and I don't know where they're coming from, as I'm too scared to touch it.

On the downside, I really miss the manual transmission, the sturdy construction, and the track system in the bed to tie down cargo. Nissan had that right for a long time, and overall it was much more of a truck. The Ranger is comfy and quiet and goes down the road like a car. MPG is better too. The automatic will be nice for towing the race car. Everything is a compromise, I suppose.
Some of that I'm going to say had to do with the package. Mine has the high level package of the Pro-4X which includes the heated seat, leather seats, sun roof, roof rack and a few other things. I can remember if the Rockford Fosgate is specific to the upper level Pro-4X or not. As for the track system in the bed, yeah it's nice

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Good Luck with the new truck! :like:

Frontiers 2011 and later have the fixes in for the major issues (timing chain and SMD) so you should be good for a long time.

If it hasn't already been done, 2 things I would do, actually 3:

1. Get rid of the crush bend Y-pipe and put a real Y-pipe in it. The factory unit is a real choker.

2. IMS (intake manifold spacer). I had one on both my Frontiers and it did seem to torque it up a bit.

3. A 2012 has lots of tuners available for it. They are scarce for 2013 and later. A tuner will remove the Nissan speed limiter that is built into them from the factory. Basically, even if you floor it, you only get around 66% throttle until 40 mph. I noticed a BIG difference when I installed a tuner on my 2011. I didn't keep my 2018 long enough to tune it.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good Luck with the new truck! :like:

Frontiers 2011 and later have the fixes in for the major issues (timing chain and SMD) so you should be good for a long time.

If it hasn't already been done, 2 things I would do, actually 3:

1. Get rid of the crush bend Y-pipe and put a real Y-pipe in it. The factory unit is a real choker.

2. IMS (intake manifold spacer). I had one on both my Frontiers and it did seem to torque it up a bit.

3. A 2012 has lots of tuners available for it. They are scarce for 2013 and later. A tuner will remove the Nissan speed limiter that is built into them from the factory. Basically, even if you floor it, you only get around 66% throttle until 40 mph. I noticed a BIG difference when I installed a tuner on my 2011. I didn't keep my 2018 long enough to tune it.
#1 for the Y pipe I have considered a few different cat back exhaust systems already. Im looking at both JBA and Magnaflow. Just haven't decided yet

#2 already ordered one from Z1 and it should be here today.

#3 I thought about a tune, but decided to leave that part be as it has was more getup and go compared to the old 93 Pathfinder. I was actually happy that I didn't need 5 miles to pass someone.

As for all the fixed you mentioned, thankfully I'm happy about it. I knew about the timing chain problem. The SMD, well I'm not to sure what you are speaking of. Maybe the transmission cooler in the radiator? Please elaborate

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
#1 for the Y pipe I have considered a few different cat back exhaust systems already. Im looking at both JBA and Magnaflow. Just haven't decided yet

#2 already ordered one from Z1 and it should be here today.

#3 I thought about a tune, but decided to leave that part be as it has was more getup and go compared to the old 93 Pathfinder. I was actually happy that I didn't need 5 miles to pass someone.

As for all the fixed you mentioned, thankfully I'm happy about it. I knew about the timing chain problem. The SMD, well I'm not to sure what you are speaking of. Maybe the transmission cooler in the radiator? Please elaborate
SMD = Strawberry Milkshake of Death.

Yes, it's the radiator leaking into the trans cooler and destroying the transmission.

Transmission fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake.

The timing chain issue was actually due to the vendor of the timing chain not replacing their stamping dies on time. The links of the timing chain would start getting rough edges that would eventually eat into the timing chain guides. Depending on where in the production run your chain came from, it might last forever or the guides may be chewed up at 60k.

As for the tuner, you will be surprised at how much more responsive it is off the line with the throttle limitation gone.

Nissan supposedly limited the throttle below 40mph due to warranty concerns with the rear axle.

You have a Pro4X so you already have the better axle. The beefier axle comes on Pro4X and manual transmission models.

I still find myself occasionally looking through the classifieds for a 2011-2015 Pro4X Frontier or Xterra.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SMD = Strawberry Milkshake of Death.

Yes, it's the radiator leaking into the trans cooler and destroying the transmission.

Transmission fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake.

The timing chain issue was actually due to the vendor of the timing chain not replacing their stamping dies on time. The links of the timing chain would start getting rough edges that would eventually eat into the timing chain guides. Depending on where in the production run your chain came from, it might last forever or the guides may be chewed up at 60k.

As for the tuner, you will be surprised at how much more responsive it is off the line with the throttle limitation gone.

Nissan supposedly limited the throttle below 40mph due to warranty concerns with the rear axle.

You have a Pro4X so you already have the better axle. The beefier axle comes on Pro4X and manual transmission models.

I still find myself occasionally looking through the classifieds for a 2011-2015 Pro4X Frontier or Xterra.
Yeah having that Dana 44 in the rear with the e-locker from the factory is kind of nice. Too bad I can only engage the locker in 4-lo.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after doing the tune up and spacer I can say it does seem a little smoother on the drive at least. That said I get to replace the valve covers since I have the dreaded tube seal leak on cylinder 5(passenger side)..... I'm curious if the manifold spacer will make it easy where I don't have to pull the manifold?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well after doing the tune up and spacer I can say it does seem a little smoother on the drive at least. That said I get to replace the valve covers since I have the dreaded tube seal leak on cylinder 5(passenger side)..... I'm curious if the manifold spacer will make it easy where I don't have to pull the manifold?
It does give you more room, but I never pulled the valve covers on mine so I don't know if you could do it without removing the intake.

On the bright side, while you have the intake off to replace the valve cover gaskets is the perfect time to install the IMS 😁
Sponsored