You will need a 6+ inch drop hitch

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I did a short test drive with my 10 ton utility trailer and was very surprised how high the ranger receiver is. I backed it up to my F250 with plow package (higher then normal F250) and you can see that the Ranger is 3-5 inches higher than the F250.

I used a 4 inch drop with my utility trailer and the front of the trailer rode way too high.

The high hitch is great for offroad departure angle. But remember to get a 6-8 inch drop hitch when you get one for the Ranger.

IMG_4692.jpg
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I did a short test drive with my 10 ton utility trailer and was very surprised how high the ranger receiver is. I backed it up to my F250 with plow package (higher then normal F250) and you can see that the Ranger is 3-5 inches higher than the F250.

I used a 4 inch drop with my utility trailer and the front of the trailer rode way too high.

The high hitch is great for offroad departure angle. But remember to get a 6-8 inch drop hitch when you get one for the Ranger.

IMG_4692.jpg
Thanks. My trailer will require a 16-inch above surface ball height. I will measure the ranger to be sure the drop I need.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I got a 5-1/4" drop hitch and it was "reasonable" for my utility trailer, and nearly dead flat when loaded heavy. My camper is a 24" ball height, and it was pretty much at the first bolt hole of my weight distributing hitch when in "drop" mode.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Good info I was wondering how much drop I would need

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked mine out today and noticed it required an almost 6" drop. My F-150 is 20" with a Triple hitch. The Ranger is 25 1/2" with the triple hitch. I couldn't raise my 6x12 enclosed trailer up enough to hitch it to the Ranger. Should have taken a pic!

We normally tow with the F-150 anyway, but I will get an appropriate hitch in case we tow with the Ranger.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I just checked mine out today and noticed it required an almost 6" drop. My F-150 is 20" with a Triple hitch. The Ranger is 25 1/2" with the triple hitch. I couldn't raise my 6x12 enclosed trailer up enough to hitch it to the Ranger. Should have taken a pic!

We normally tow with the F-150 anyway, but I will get an appropriate hitch in case we tow with the Ranger.
I got a 6-inch drop so it will be about 16 inches above the surface when trailer weight is applied.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I installed a drawbar with an 8" drop in my new Ranger with stock tow package.
With 240 pounds of tongue weight and an empty box, it was 17-1/2" to the top of the a standard 1-7/8" ball.
Adding another 350 pounds or so to the payload at the back of the box only dropped another 3/4" or so.
I could not find a 10" drop drawbar locally and my trailer really needs 16" max to the top of the ball.
I plan to raise my trailer with a bolt-on Zero° torque-flex which will allow it to match the Ranger better.
Then I will have to get a shorter drop drawbar for my TC.
When its all sorted out, everything should be improved.:whew::clap:

Kev7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I just ordered a 6” drop to tow a m/c trailer. I might be towing a small camper and need to use brake assist and wonder if anyone has added a brake assist.
Thanks

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered a 6” drop to tow a m/c trailer. I might be towing a small camper and need to use brake assist and wonder if anyone has added a brake assist.
Thanks
There are lots of threads here on towing and brake controllers.
I assume you have the tow package?
If so... it will be a simple matter to add a brake controller. Its just 4 wires under the dash.
The hardest part will be which controller of the many available and where to mount it.
If not... It can still be done.

Kev7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
There are lots of threads here on towing and brake controllers.
I assume you have the tow package?
If so... it will be a simple matter to add a brake controller. Its just 4 wires under the dash.
The hardest part will be which controller of the many available and where to mount it.
If not... It can still be done.
Yes I do have the tow package. You would think it would be part of the tow package from the factory. I hate to start splicing into wires on a new truck. I also read somewhere they have Bluetooth controllers you can use with a smart phone. I was hoping someone here had installed one.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I got a 6-inch drop so it will be about 16 inches above the surface when trailer weight is applied.
Thanks, I was wondering what the height would be. That is the height of the F-150 when trailer attached with a 2" drop hitch. I haven't put the Wing in the trailer to see if it drops more. It shouldn't be any more than 1/2" as most of the weight (engine) of the Wing is over the axles.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I do have the tow package. You would think it would be part of the tow package from the factory. I hate to start splicing into wires on a new truck. I also read somewhere they have Bluetooth controllers you can use with a smart phone. I was hoping someone here had installed one.
You won't be "splicing into wires on a new truck" in the invasive way that you seem to think.
It is no different than "plug and play" on an F150 except you use four butt splices instead of a plug.
The four wires are pigtailed above the left kickpanel and there is a thread here showing how with good pictures and explanation.
Save your money and do it right with a hardwired Brake Controller. They come with printed instructions in typed letters ... No cursive!
Its about a 2 on a 1-10 DIY scale, 10 being most difficult.
Or you could simply have it professionally done and still get a permanent brake controller including installation for maybe $100 less than some contrived app for your phone.
U-haul is famous for installing brake controllers, or any local shop or trailer place ...Camping World?
A hardwired brake controller will add value to your truck and save money on the initial investment.
That "bluetooth" thing will do neither, and may even interfere with the peripheral functions of the RV plug

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I installed a drawbar with an 8" drop in my new Ranger with stock tow package.
With 240 pounds of tongue weight and an empty box, it was 17-1/2" to the top of the a standard 1-7/8" ball.
Adding another 350 pounds or so to the payload at the back of the box only dropped another 3/4" or so.
I could not find a 10" drop drawbar locally and my trailer really needs 16" max to the top of the ball.
I plan to raise my trailer with a bolt-on Zero° torque-flex which will allow it to match the Ranger better.
Then I will have to get a shorter drop drawbar for my TC.
When its all sorted out, everything should be improved.:whew::clap:

Mine is about 2" too high still, I figure I'll just get a tiny bit larger trailer tires when it's time. My camper is actually perfect the way it is now though.

ed1946

First Name
elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 taurus
Occupation
retired
Just finished towing a car using tow dolly. Used a 5 1/4 drop hitch, worked fine.
Sponsored