You thought subscription for heated seats was bad!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
lol It'll never happen. Way to many people are dependent on driving and there's just not enough public transportation here in the US. Plus we have way more suburban areas here than other countries do. It might work there but I don't thing we'll ever see this here.

OP
OP
Jason B

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Might be the only way for future generations to survive if things keep rising in cost like they are now.
Maybe. But I think will be just as the housing situation. People pay more in monthly rent/lease than a mortgage would cost because of supply and demand. And you can bet they would keep the supply low to raise demand.

I with AZ, I don't think it will happen in the near future. They tried something similar with bike and scooter sharing, and that turned into a disaster.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see this happening anytime in near or distant future. I'll be dead by then I am sure.
Also most of us don't own to many "medals" anyways.

The World Economic Forum is looking to reduce global reliance on critical medals as nations looks to make the transition.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This is how they float “ideas” to see public reactions. Keep in mind that’s a huge amount of tax revenue being taken off the table. GDP would then tank on top of it. This gamble that is being pushed with electric vehicles being in place by 2030 will ultimately be their end all with the grand plan for us all. Especially with inflation out of control and a depression starting

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think you will see a first step of eliminating private vehicles happen in big cities, kinda like it is now at the Grand Canyon where you park at a visitor center and then a bus takes you through the park.

The first time I went in the mid 90's you drove your own car wherever you wanted.

When you think about it, most people don't drive their own vehicle in NYC. They take a cab or train into the city.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Man, there are so many spot on posts in this thread.

I personally don't think the academics/bureaucrats who harbor these notions and make a living promoting them think any of it will keep to stated schedules, as they have read their own staff reports on the stumbling blocks ahead for such things (total EV adoption in 7-12 year), rent a life, etc. It really doesn't matter to them. It's a really good gig.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
This is how they float “ideas” to see public reactions. Keep in mind that’s a huge amount of tax revenue being taken off the table. GDP would then tank on top of it. This gamble that is being pushed with electric vehicles being in place by 2030 will ultimately be their end all with the grand plan for us all. Especially with inflation out of control and a depression starting
A full electric vehicle society is decades away due to current electrical grid infrastructure.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The cost of full Level 5 autonomous capability, defined as no human driver needed for opeation in all weather on all roads will make it untenable to buy or lease a vehicle. At first we will see dedicated, single purpose AI vehicles operating on geo fenced routes: inner city USPS, airport-rent-car/hotel shuttles etc.
Subscriptions will be similar to present day media accounts. You don't have anything just sitting in the garage. you call out to Alexa or Siri and have a shuttle pick you up, along with 2-4 others heading in the same general direction. Basic service might have 16- or 18 hour availability, 10 minute on demand arrival. Next package would offer a private bot on demand, 24 hr availability, 5-10 min arrival. add options for changing out types of vehicles. You could call up a pickup to haul your RV or get home improvement goods. or order up a convertible for a weekend. Come Monday, the commuterbot picks you up. The fleets will be owned by what are now dealerships and Uber-Lyft services and rent-a car companies.

Private vehicle ownership will be as rare as private aircraft ownership is now. In fact, HOA's and other neighborhood groups may buy or get discounted subscriptions for a few bots.

Welcome to later:
Zoox autonomous-vehicle Zoox.jpg

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."

Have a read of this. I don't think we'll need to worry about the WEF, ect., in the long run. Trust will come back into the institutions. It has to, or it'll all collapse.

Frank

Attachments