First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I am targeting a lariat super cab 4x4, purchasing after thanksgiving. I have seen a couple in Florida that were built the beginning of MY 2020 and have sat on the dealer lots for almost a year. This one is discounted $7300 on the dealers website. It has the options I want. What things should I be concerned about specific to a truck that has sat unused for that long prior to purchase? Fuel issues, rust, animal nesting, etc...

the dealer is far enough away that it won’t be practical to go back, but if the price is right I’m ok with it. The truck and I won’t be in Florida much, anyway. If I read the window sticker correctly it was built around 25 Nov 2019.

87DC7E9B-B4DC-47F5-BAED-9E9B0EDFDC17.png
Sponsored

Frog9z

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
What are the miles on it? My opinion is the dealer more than likely moves it around some and keeps it clean for potential buyers. Gas will be okay for a year.
Up here in Iowa I test drove a new 2019 in Oct. and saw no problems with it. It had close to empty tank and about 60 miles on it. I ended up with a 2020 that was built in March that had 22 miles on it. I bought it Friday 10/30. I got a tire warning driving it to and one was high and three low. I thought a dealer would check that before selling. I aired them up at home but did notify the salesman. He said it had to be because it sat so long and the cold weather period we got. Regardless, you would think they would make sure tires are where should be before going out the door so to speak!!
Hopefully you get more responses from smarter people in the know.

Hope you find your truck at a good deal!!!

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Nothing to be concerned with but remember it’s been sitting outside for a year all ready. Be sure you get a great deal. Otherwise go with current model

Reactions: Doc

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I purchased my 2019 Ranger Lariat in June of 2020. It was sitting for awhile! The only issue I had was rust on the rotors. The dealership turned them down and they are fine. I didn't have a problem with them turning them down because the rotors are very thick and heavy! I wasn't going to bust their balls for new rotors.

And I too got a great deal on it! And...I love the truck!

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I bought my 2019 in March 2020. It had been on the dealer's lot since July 2019.

The paint was a mess. It felt like sandpaper. Iron-X and clay took care of that. There are also a lot of dealer installed scratches and swirls, especially on the hood and roof. Swirls were easy. I need to attack the scratches. So far I've used the "make it really shiny and they disappear" method.

I got a good deal on the truck. I deal with the fleet manager at this dealership and I raised hell with him at delivery. By his reaction I guess most people don't even notice. He offered me whatever coating they sell for $800 free, but I didn't do it,

The other issue is they let it off the lot without doing the tail light recall. This led to them sending a tech out to do it in my driveway.

I have not experienced any performance issues or unusual rust.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
that was a considerable amount of labor cost for them to do that for something the brakes pads would have done in minutes on the street.

they should have just cut you a deal on parts and labor for your first brake job. would make more sense drawing you back with that dangling carrot in 30000kms and dicking you on other parts and labor for their profit margin and you'd still walk away thinking you got the royal king treatment with pads and rotors at cost.

but either way, you walked away happy
Actually when I purchased it I picked it up and drove it home (about 90 mile drive) and it kept getting worse, I too thought it would fix itself.....it did not. This was right in the heat of Covid in Pa so there really wasn't even a vehicle walk around. Sign papers, here's the keys and see ya! I called about the issue they got me in the next day (another 90 mile one way trip haha) and problem resolved!

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Rotors!

If the rotors have become deeply pitted with rust then the brake pads won’t be enough to scrap it off. Not sure about your state but may states are tightening the standards on this type of thing and if the rotors are pitted you may not be able to pass an inspection. Replacing the rotors may be a lot more expensive than you might expect.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It will be lucky to keep paint around the wheel wells, hood, and bumper anyways, so I'd beat them up on the price and just go with it. Whether it starts out new, or a year old, the paint quality is plain old bad.

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
No need to concerned. Vehicles sit on dealership lots for extended time every where. It is a common thang.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I bought my '19 on March 31 of 2020. It was built in Sept of '19, I believe, so it had been sitting for 6ish months.... but it did all that sitting in the dealer show room, not the lot. As a result, there was no rust to worry about, but the battery was completely dead, and there were a fair bit of scratches / swirls on the paint.

When I was shopping, I let the dealer know I wanted to test drive that exact truck, as it was the only one in this area which had all the specific options I wanted. When I showed up at the appointed time to drive it, clearly they had done nothing at all to prep it.. it was still parked in the showroom. They had to jump start it to even get it running, and then lots of things did not work on my first test drive: cruise didn't work, selector for 4wd was not lit up and refused to engage anything other than 2wd, felt really down on power, lots of warnings on the dash, etc. I drove it for about 10 mins this way, then returned to the dealer. Pulled into a parking spot, shut it down and tried to start it again... it was completely dead. No dash lights. No chimes. Nothing.

This was on a Friday afternoon, so the dealer said I could take a black one with similar options home for the weekend to play with, and that on Monday they'd have a new battery in the one I wanted. I loved the way the black one drove, and on Monday they did have a new battery installed. I test drove it again, and everything was working correctly.

I should have looked at the paint more carefully though - it sat in that showroom for a long time with people climbing all over in / on it, and I didn't notice the swirls until my first detail. It was also delivered with something like 45 lbs in the tires. Other than replacing the battery and running it through their automatic wash, I don't think the dealer did much sale prep at all.

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
I purchased my 2019 in May 2020....build date was may 2019...so mine had sat on the lot for 1 year and was not the original dealer that had it. They did some trading between 2 dealers. The truck had 120 miles on it. I made a good deal and have had no major issues (just door key pad dead which they replaced). I now have 20K miles on it with still no issues and i have pulled my 5000lbs camper a dozen times. So if you can make a good deal compared to a newer model....i would go for it!

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
I bought my '19 on March 31 of 2020. It was built in Sept of '19, I believe, so it had been sitting for 6ish months.... but it did all that sitting in the dealer show room, not the lot. As a result, there was no rust to worry about, but the battery was completely dead, and there were a fair bit of scratches / swirls on the paint.

When I was shopping, I let the dealer know I wanted to test drive that exact truck, as it was the only one in this area which had all the specific options I wanted. When I showed up at the appointed time to drive it, clearly they had done nothing at all to prep it.. it was still parked in the showroom. They had to jump start it to even get it running, and then lots of things did not work on my first test drive: cruise didn't work, selector for 4wd was not lit up and refused to engage anything other than 2wd, felt really down on power, lots of warnings on the dash, etc. I drove it for about 10 mins this way, then returned to the dealer. Pulled into a parking spot, shut it down and tried to start it again... it was completely dead. No dash lights. No chimes. Nothing.

This was on a Friday afternoon, so the dealer said I could take a black one with similar options home for the weekend to play with, and that on Monday they'd have a new battery in the one I wanted. I loved the way the black one drove, and on Monday they did have a new battery installed. I test drove it again, and everything was working correctly.

I should have looked at the paint more carefully though - it sat in that showroom for a long time with people climbing all over in / on it, and I didn't notice the swirls until my first detail. It was also delivered with something like 45 lbs in the tires. Other than replacing the battery and running it through their automatic wash, I don't think the dealer did much sale prep at all.
I thought I was the only one, my truck had 45lbs of air in the tires when the hankooks call for 30. I got it from my dealers new car lot so I know it wasnt from the shop. Guess ford just got air happy.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
In the UK cars are often in compounds all winter as sales dry up over the holidays. I’ve seen convertibles been sat for over a year. I don’t see any concerns personally but it’s never wrong to check!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I thought I was the only one, my truck had 45lbs of air in the tires when the hankooks call for 30. I got it from my dealers new car lot so I know it wasnt from the shop. Guess ford just got air happy.
During test drives at four different dealers, I complained to the salesmen about excessive tire pressure and told them the ride sucked with overinflated tires. They just gave me the deer-in-the-headlights look and shrugged their shoulders.

Once I even requested the tire pressure be set correctly prior to the test drive. They didn't do it - still overinflated.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
During test drives at four different dealers, I complained to the salesmen about excessive tire pressure and told them the ride sucked with overinflated tires. They just gave me the deer-in-the-headlights look and shrugged their shoulders.

Once I even requested the tire pressure be set correctly prior to the test drive. They didn't do it - still overinflated.
They do it so the tires don't develop flat spots while they sit on lots. Dealers are too dumb and lazy to figure out that if the rides is better, they would sell more trucks.
Sponsored