John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone interested in doing the Wyoming BDR this summer? My original plans changed so I'm thinking of heading to Wyoming in late July and checking out some or all of this route.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Specifically I'll be looking at 7/20-7/31; I'm open to any stretch during that period. Looks like it'll take 5-7 days depending on how much of it we run and how fast we run it.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's why I'm going late July. They're getting 6-8 inches right now.

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have switched up my rig a bit since the profile was created, and I have not had time to update. May add some pictures today, since I am on.

I am watching this thread and would be interested in driving this! Problem is I am getting married 7/16 and have another wedding 7/23 that I need to be at, but both of those are in Casper. I could potentially meet you guys in Ten Sleep, but I guess that depends when you leave.

I checked out what the full "Wyoming BDR" trail is, and I would just mention that I live about midway up this trail and camp the area near Ten Sleep a bunch.... There is a scenic byway, which is BEAUTIFUL and dirt road. It also takes you north past Alcova area, towards Tensleep, but you would cut a bit of your route off... I'm going to add a picture of this little stint of the trip, but I am watching the thread in any case. If your dates match what I can do past 7/23, I would love to join.
ED98F8BA-CF99-4C4B-B037-B64D46BDC94A_1_105_c.jpeg

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So, the part of the trip that I mentioned taking actually would cut off the Wind River Reservation and a trip through the Lander area. If you needed to cut time off for some reason, this would be a good option once you are north of Alcova Resevior, but I wouldn't recommend missing the drive west through that little portion of the BDR, if you could drive it as mapped. I will be watching to see what happens, and hope this is an awesome trip!

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
So, the part of the trip that I mentioned taking actually would cut off the Wind River Reservation and a trip through the Lander area. If you needed to cut time off for some reason, this would be a good option once you are north of Alcova Resevior, but I wouldn't recommend missing the drive west through that little portion of the BDR, if you could drive it as mapped. I will be watching to see what happens, and hope this is an awesome trip!
There's a very high chance I'll be asking you a bunch of annoying questions about the area in the very near future.

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to help if I can. I have lived in Cheyenne, which is near the southern starting point. I would LOVE to use my Ranger for this whole trip, and you are spot on with your estimation for time. You can make this in 5-7 days easily. Lots of near-by pavement to get to if needed...

Just had to update my profile your thread got me so psyched for you!

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend the Ten Sleep Brewery!
They're a supporter of the BDR and I've heard great things. They have a campground, right?

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
They're a supporter of the BDR and I've heard great things. They have a campground, right?
They did the last time I was there. I could have stayed the entire afternoon hydrating but my co-pilot had different ideas.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Trip has been moved up. We'll be in Cheyenne on 7/8 and starting the wandering on the 9th. I originally planned on sticking strictly to the BDR route but we might deviate a bit due to time constraints. Have a site booked at Ten Sleep for the 12th and 13th - definitely will be there on the 13th but might not use the 12th depending on what we find in the national forests along the way. The current plan is to use the dispersed sites in the National Forests.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
@Rampantroo, what should I expect in terms of day time/night time temps?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
So, I have switched up my rig a bit since the profile was created, and I have not had time to update. May add some pictures today, since I am on.

I am watching this thread and would be interested in driving this! Problem is I am getting married 7/16 and have another wedding 7/23 that I need to be at, but both of those are in Casper. I could potentially meet you guys in Ten Sleep, but I guess that depends when you leave.

I checked out what the full "Wyoming BDR" trail is, and I would just mention that I live about midway up this trail and camp the area near Ten Sleep a bunch.... There is a scenic byway, which is BEAUTIFUL and dirt road. It also takes you north past Alcova area, towards Tensleep, but you would cut a bit of your route off... I'm going to add a picture of this little stint of the trip, but I am watching the thread in any case. If your dates match what I can do past 7/23, I would love to join.
ED98F8BA-CF99-4C4B-B037-B64D46BDC94A_1_105_c.jpeg
great picture!

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Early July in southern Wyoming will look at highs around 80's and close to 90's, when you start the trek out of Colorado. Those early nights will likely be warmer near mid/high 60's.

As you move north and west, those temperatures will likely drop a bit. Elevation will likely help lower temperatures, and Ten Sleep will be cooler than the souther Cheyenne area, for sure. Once you are anywhere near Yellowstone, it's tends to be at least 10 degrees cooler during the day.

Here is a site I used to verify what I was thinking before I told you (Cheyenne Average Temps July), but these graphs are for July averages in Cheyenne. Like I said, the temperatures will slowly but steadily drop as you move away from Colorado and close to Yellowstone. Lows will likely not be under 75 during the day, and nights should be mid/high 60's in the south and a bit cooler as you continue north. This site also makes the lack of cloud coverage and high sun time evident, and I like to use WeatherUnderground's 10 Day forecast because they have graphs that allow for interpretation.

I'm not sure if I will be able to take part early July, sine I will be doing wedding prep, but I am watching the thread still regardless, just in case something works out, or I can help :).

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
@Rampantroo any of the roads/areas on the route that you think would be questionable to take a stock truck on solo? I'll have a fair amount of the usual - tire repair, spare fuel, jack, etc but no sliders and no winch. Being completely unfamiliar with the route, I feel pretty ok with running it but I'm also wrong about a lot of things several times a day lol.
Sponsored