First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I found I need a 15mm often working on the Ranger, a socket size previously never used for decades working on any other vehicles.
Kind of a snug 9/16 or loose 19/32 (find one of those!). I do nearly all the wrenching on my motorcycles and bicycles, and most of my tools are metric. I do have a basic 3/8" drive socket set and wrenches, left over from keeping my old rusty cars limping along in my younger days. Now I have an iPhone for that: "Hello, Customer Service? My car broke, come tow it."
I fear I may finally have to break down and get an OBDII reader and Forscan for making adjustments that are "off manual."
"Hello, Customer Service? I tried to reset the dome light delay and now the horn honks when I put it in reverse, come tow it!"

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of a snug 9/16 or loose 19/32 (find one of those!). I do nearly all the wrenching on my motorcycles and bicycles, and most of my tools are metric. I do have a basic 3/8" drive socket set and wrenches, left over from keeping my old rusty cars limping along in my younger days. Now I have an iPhone for that: "Hello, Customer Service? My car broke, come tow it."
I fear I may finally have to break down and get an OBDII reader and Forscan for making adjustments that are "off manual."
"Hello, Customer Service? I tried to reset the dome light delay and now the horn honks when I put it in reverse, come tow it!"
Hi Chris,

I now have two, three and 4 or more of every socket or wrench (mostly boxed wrenches) of every SAE and metric size up to 2" or 50mm. However above 25mm, I only have one socket or wrench. Wife calls me a toolalcoholic, but I like Single Malt scotch too... :) This guy in my neighborhood came to me needing a 1 7/16 socket...never talked to this guy before, but what the hey....So my question was do you need a 12 point or a 6 point. He was dumbfounded. Got a six pack of Pacifico out of that deal to loan him my socket. ½ drive, so he had to barrow a ratchet and breaker bar too.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All

Putting together a toolkit for overlanding in my 2020 FX4. Do I need metric or SAE wrenches?

Thanks

Mark
Metrics are fine. you WILL need odd sizes, as in 9 mm, 11 mm, 15 mm, 19mm, etc..

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Hi Phil

I too have multiple sets of SAE and Metric tools in both 6 and 12 point. I even have spline sockets that often will work on SAE and Metric. Seems we needed them on certail aircraft I worked on early in my career. I started out in the aircraft world back in 1966 and we typically used 12 point SAE tooling. Heck, I even owned British Whitworth tooling for my Triumph motorcycle.

IMG_3600.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg

Here's a wrench you probably don't own in your collection. Its a "palnut" wrench. Radial engines often used nuts that were not self locking due to thermal issues as I recall. Cylinder hold down nuts were just a plain nut thread. A palnut is a thin stamped steel nut that threaded on top of the cylinder hold down nut as the locking mechanism, i.e. jam nut. The nuts were thin and it was very difficult to use a regular wrench to torque the palnut and the wrench would slip off and then grap the hold down nut. The palnut wrench as shown in the photograph has a feature that prevents the wrench from slipping down. The short length came in handy as the hold down nuts were in tight locations and often you installed and tightened the palnut by feel.

When I migrated into the engineering world supporting commercial jets, I kept these special wrenches. They came in multiple sizes to fit the palnut. I would show them to the AME's who had never worked on a radial engine and bet them they didn't know what the wrench was called or used for. Never lost a wager........

I realize this has nothing to do with the original posting. Reading your posting reply inspired me -:)

Cheers

Roy Peterson
Retired

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Hi Phil

I too have multiple sets of SAE and Metric tools in both 6 and 12 point. I even have spline sockets that often will work on SAE and Metric. Seems we needed them on certail aircraft I worked on early in my career. I started out in the aircraft world back in 1966 and we typically used 12 point SAE tooling. Heck, I even owned British Whitworth tooling for my Triumph motorcycle.

IMG_3600.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg

Here's a wrench you probably don't own in your collection. Its a "palnut" wrench. Radial engines often used nuts that were not self locking due to thermal issues as I recall. Cylinder hold down nuts were just a plain nut thread. A palnut is a thin stamped steel nut that threaded on top of the cylinder hold down nut as the locking mechanism, i.e. jam nut. The nuts were thin and it was very difficult to use a regular wrench to torque the palnut and the wrench would slip off and then grap the hold down nut. The palnut wrench as shown in the photograph has a feature that prevents the wrench from slipping down. The short length came in handy as the hold down nuts were in tight locations and often you installed and tightened the palnut by feel.

When I migrated into the engineering world supporting commercial jets, I kept these special wrenches. They came in multiple sizes to fit the palnut. I would show them to the AME's who had never worked on a radial engine and bet them they didn't know what the wrench was called or used for. Never lost a wager........

I realize this has nothing to do with the original posting. Reading your posting reply inspired me -:)

Cheers

Roy Peterson
Retired
I appreciate seeing specialty tools... very neat.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Years ago the USA decided to go metric but they didnt know the extent of what that would be like. Tool companies made out like bandits as mechanics now have to have twice the tools and double the tool boxes to hold them. And still the conversion is far from being complele. ?
Know what you mean. My country had an incomplete conversion to metric decades ago. Leaving bit of a dogs breakfast now. ?

As for tools, about 10 years ago, while on a road trip, I needed a 30mm socket. Stopped in at small town auto parts store and was trying to do the imperial conversion (because their metric selection didn't go that high). Anyway the store manager comes along and asks me what kind of car it was for. I said a 2010 Ford. He says, "well why did you want metric ? Domestic is SAE, Foreign is metric".
Well , yah, if it was 1970 again ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil

IMG_3600.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg

Cheers

Roy Peterson
Retired
Hi Roy,

I have a set of these Palnut wrenches too, bu are mostly unused. I also have wentworth wrenches but these have
IMG_5644_1.jpg
fallen into disuse. Do use the BA2 to tighten up the bell on my 1680 bird case grandfather clock movement clock from Lewes England.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi Roy,

I have a set of these Palnut wrenches too, bu are mostly unused. I also have wentworth wrenches but these have
IMG_5644_1.jpg
fallen into disuse. Do use the BA2 to tighten up the bell on my 1680 bird case grandfather clock movement clock from Lewes England.
Old saying:
"A man with one clock always knows what time it is. A man with two clocks never knows what time it is."
Very impressive collection, Phil!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Old saying:
"A man with one clock always knows what time it is. A man with two clocks never knows what time it is."
Very impressive collection, Phil!
Hi Chris,

This is about 1/5trh of my collection....I have over 200 clocks, mostly the large wall type. I was in the clock repair/restoration business for over 45 years now as a side business. All the clocks you see can run, but I only keep one tall clock running A 1900s Kenninger from Germany.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Wife calls me a toolalcoholic...
Yours too. When it comes to tools, I always tell people, "If I don't have it......you don't need it". :)

Know what you mean. My country had an incomplete conversion to metric decades ago. Leaving bit of a dogs breakfast now. ?
I was in junior high when the switch happened, so I was taught both. If I remember correctly (which I usually don't), metric should have been the only system by time I graduated. Roughly 45yrs later and about the only things that aren't still advertised in both Imperial and Metric is our mileage signs and fuel.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Yours too. When it comes to tools, I always tell people, "If I don't have it......you don't need it". :)

I was in junior high when the switch happened, so I was taught both. If I remember correctly (which I usually don't), metric should have been the only system by time I graduated. Roughly 45yrs later and about the only things that aren't still advertised in both Imperial and Metric is our mileage signs and fuel.
Strange... we burn gallons of gasoline in our 2.3 liter engines, and buy 12 ounce cans of soda, but 1-& 2-liter bottles; they're in the cooler next to the pints, quarts, and gallons of milk!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Az put Kilometer markers on I-19 coming out of Nogales Mexico to Tucson intending that all roads would be changed. But, it never happened. So, now they are thinking of spending money to change it back to miles. It is not that hard to make the conversion it is on your speedometer. I have an app on my phone that will make conversions easy. I always look at the tool sales and then I say to myself you old man you dont need any more tools. They have some real neet battery operated impact wrenches but I resist cause I am not in any hurry. ?

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Strange... we burn gallons of gasoline in our 2.3 liter engines, and buy 12 ounce cans of soda, but 1-& 2-liter bottles; they're in the cooler next to the pints, quarts, and gallons of milk!
:crackup: :crackup: That sounds like an old George Carlin routine. We park in the driveway but drive on the parkway.?
Sponsored