With all the years of testing Ford did overseas with the Ranger prior to USA intro >>>

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Is there any record of average and most miles put the 2.3L EcoBoost engine? I am hoping to get at least 200K trouble free miles on my Ranger engine as that is what I have put on my last 2 Tacomas.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any record of average and most miles put the 2.3L EcoBoost engine? I am hoping to get at least 200K trouble free miles on my Ranger engine as that is what I have put on my last 2 Tacomas.
I don't believe the 2.3 was put in any of the overseas version of the Ranger. The 2.3/10 speed auto was one of the changes made for the North American Ranger.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi 1911Tex,

Ford Light Truck tests to 150,000 miles of the 90 percentile customer. You are likely not even close to this customer, who beats the living crap out of the vehicle servicing the Oil Fields in Tx, running in stop and go in Los Angeles for tens of thousand miles etc. Mining companies.... So you should be good to go. That said.....you need to properly maintain the truck...Oil changes etc....Follow your owner's manual for maintenance. This includes the 2.3L as well as the rest of the vehicle. Okay...interior wear, wiper blades etc are not part of the overall testing criteria. We are talking hard core components and systems. Hopefully this will ease your mind a bit. Never had a Taco on our durability test rout that lasted to our criteria. And Taco engineers reported that no Ford lasted on their route.....Yeah...maybe. Just look on many posts in various threads of high mileage Rangers. That says we did things right. New Ranger....I think based on my ownership Ford continues the tradition of Ford Built Tough, which means something.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
What Phil said :)

BUT...the chassis (for the most part) and all the ancillary bits have been tested in Australia/NZ and I figure that if its well regarded there, Africa and Europe, and Central/South America then we have no issues here.

Of course, I would like to have the option of a 3.2 5 cyl diesel/manual combo would be awesome...this would dig into the F150 market...and Ford would NOT mess with that.

Regardless we got an awesome truck here...Taco's are good trucks too...but like anything else you do your maintenance and you will get your distance.

D

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The ranger did not get the EcoBoost overseas and only got the Diesel. Now too my understanding before they released the rangers in the US they were testing them since 2012. I was informed about this from one of my service managers who got involved with A LOT of prototype vehicles through Ford. With that said as long as you take care of your truck it will take care of you. Dont take care of it? Well dont expect it to last long.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
with regular maintenance any modern day engine should last 200,000. I don't have that same faith in the computers and electronics though. Time is the real killer though not mileage; and not enough time has passed on US / Canadian Rangers to determine that.

The Donald

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I think based on my ownership Ford continues the tradition of Ford Built Tough, which means something.
I do too Phil and that is why I drive one. I really feel like Ford doesn't have a choice, they are caught in the cycle along with all the other car manufacturers and have to keep up with their competitors which are always reducing their time to market, which allows little things to fall thru the cracks.

OP
OP

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Do any other Ford vehicles use this same 2.3L Eco engine?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Edge and Aviator use the 2.0 EB. You can count the Bronco as well.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Do any other Ford vehicles use this same 2.3L Eco engine?
Focus RS uses a version of it. Yes, early RS ones had a head gasket issue but that was identified as a production mistake. They used the Mustang version head gasket on some of the RS version engine. They were recalled and fixed. Mine has 34K miles, some of them as Ford would say "Spirited Driving" ;) No issues either before or after head gasket fix.:)?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a15840269/ford-focus-rs-ranger-engine/

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Here's how I looked at the situation when planning to purchase..

3 basic component groups :
- Chassis / Body
- Engine / Trans
- Software / Ancillaries

.. The chassis (for the most part) and all the ancillary bits have been tested in Australia/NZ and I figure that if its well regarded there, Africa and Europe, and Central/South America then we have no issues here.
Chassis / Body: Just like @db_tanker said.. For me, knowing that the Ranger was designed in Australia (beaten into submission by the outback) provides real confidence in the Chassis

Engine / Trans: EcoBoost technology has been powering Police departments for years now, and that ain't light duty. If a turbo can survive that, I'll be just fine. Plus, it's got a warranty if something goes south in the early going.

Software / Ancillaries:
Same as all the other Ford stuff. What could go wrong?

I honestly think this gen Ranger beats Toyota fair and square - Style, efficiency, power and quality.

I liked my Taco and FJ, but the Ranger is better.

@1911tex, I expect you can easily achieve your 200k with regular care and maintenance.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
Here's how I looked at the situation when planning to purchase..

3 basic component groups :
- Chassis / Body
- Engine / Trans
- Software / Ancillaries

Chassis / Body: Just like @db_tanker said.. For me, knowing that the Ranger was designed in Australia (beaten into submission by the outback) provides real confidence in the Chassis

Engine / Trans: EcoBoost technology has been powering Police departments for years now, and that ain't light duty. If a turbo can survive that, I'll be just fine. Plus, it's got a warranty if something goes south in the early going.

Software / Ancillaries: Same as all the other Ford stuff. What could go wrong?

I honestly think this gen Ranger beats Toyota fair and square - Style, efficiency, power and quality.

I liked my Taco and FJ, but the Ranger is better.

@1911tex, I expect you can easily achieve your 200k with regular care and maintenance.
What about drive train? This vibration/shudder a number are having.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Here are some pics of a Ranger I spotted in the UK in 2016 at the Sheffield Stainless plant (now Outokumpu). It had a 2.2L, and picked Int'l Truck if the Year 2013!

WP_20160623_12_31_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20160623_12_31_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160623_12_31_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20160623_12_31_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20160623_12_32_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20160623_12_32_18_Pro.jpg

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
How many miles are the mustang guys getting?
Sponsored