MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Will this be an option on all F-150s or just the Hybrid model?

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Sport, 1994 XLT, 1979 F-100
This and all the other new options too.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Deleted member 1634

Will this be an option on all F-150s or just the Hybrid model?
I believe it'll be an option on all models, at various power levels. 2.0kW option, 2.4kW option, and 7.2kW option on the hybrid models. Which is an insane amount of power.

Apparently the hybrid will also be available on all models as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I believe it'll be an option on all models, at various power levels. 2.0kW option, 2.4kW option, and 7.2kW option on the hybrid models. Which is an insane amount of power.

Apparently the hybrid will also be available on all models as well.
The "hybrid" is a 1.5KW battery hooked to a motor/starter/generator bolted to the front of the engine's "V" from what I've seen online.

It fits on the V6 and V8, but my guess is it will only be an option on the V6 trucks.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Remember when heavy duty trucks could get a PTO transmission? I bet that would run a nice generator.

Deleted member 1634

The "hybrid" is a 1.5KW battery hooked to a motor/starter/generator bolted to the front of the engine's "V" from what I've seen online.

It fits on the V6 and V8, but my guess is it will only be an option on the V6 trucks.
My understanding is the hybrid setup is essentially the same as the Escape and Toyota hybrid models where the electric motor is between the engine and transmission. I've tried to find more information about how my wife's Escape Hybrid works, just out of curiousity, but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be hooked to the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 only. At least that's what I've seen/heard. I'm not sure which of the 6 trims levels will allow 3.5 and/or 3.5-hybrid usage. We'll have to wait and see about that. They didn't give too much detail last night about the specifics of things, which is what most of us want.

I've watched these 2 videos so far:

Between KBB and TFL, I can usually put together enough to know most things about a vehicle. haha

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer

The F150 hybrid is definitely not a BiSG (what you described is basically what the Ram eTorque system is, what we in the industry refer to as an mHEV).

My understanding is the hybrid setup is essentially the same as the Escape and Toyota hybrid models where the electric motor is between the engine and transmission. I've tried to find more information about how my wife's Escape Hybrid works, just out of curiousity, but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be hooked to the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 only. At least that's what I've seen/heard. I'm not sure which of the 6 trims levels will allow 3.5 and/or 3.5-hybrid usage. We'll have to wait and see about that. They didn't give too much detail last night about the specifics of things, which is what most of us want.

Between KBB and TFL, I can usually put together enough to know most things about a vehicle. haha
Agreed it is the 3.5L Ecoboost only and should be available across a wide range of trim levels. Per Ford's press release and technical specs (The PDF attached) that hybrid uses the 10-speed "Modular Hybrid Transmission", which on the Explorer and Aviator, uses an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and the torque converter. This is a little different than the Escape/Fusion and Toyota hybrids, which connect the electric motor to the engine via a planetary gear-set and a CVT transmission.

Here's a cutaway from this link of the Explorer's hybrid system, you can see the windings of the motor towards the right side of the screen:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/18...rid-first-drive-review-49v5fj7/#slide-1278677

2020-ford-explorer-hybrid-technical-display-1.jpg

All that's to say, the hybrid system makes the hybrid F150 a lot better at generating the continuous power needed for such a large inverter. Something like a big 12V 5000W inverter will only run at peak power for about 15 minutes on a 100Ah battery, so the hardware is still impressive.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
Not to change the subject, but at first glance that red TFL F150 above looks a lot like a Chevy front end..... maybe it's just me....

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Remember when heavy duty trucks could get a PTO transmission? I bet that would run a nice generator.
Yes I ordered the PTO option on my '06 SD! Never used it though. It does make me wonder if the 10 speed has a PTO provision.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes I ordered the PTO option on my '06 SD! Never used it though. It does make me wonder if the 10 speed has a PTO provision.
I never considered that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Doug,

Marketing figures that the PTO is for Heavy duty, like a roll back wrecker, for example. I did not see a PTO block off plate on my trans and likely the trans was designed without PTO capability. In reality PTO was almost never used by non commercial customers.

Back story here that I believe I told before but maybe not.... In the early 70s Ford HD 250/350 offered a Super Cool option. Much larger Radiator with increased fin density. Take rate was so small that Marketing and Light Truck Management decided to delete the Super Cool option. And so it went until we got complaints from folks in the South...Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. WTF????

It turned out that the HD F Series by folks down there used to put the Truck up on rear jack stands, remove a rear wheel, Install a belt drum and a huge belt to a canal water pump. They installed a hand throttle and used the vehicle to power the pump...All of a sudden they were experiencing overheating! So Super Cool was brought back into the arena...Who would have thunk that the truck would be driving a pump!

Then I ran across a situation similar where a F350 was driving a saw blade for lumberjacks rough sawing lumber in similar fashion.

Take away is that it is impossible to design for some of the truck's usages we never envisioned.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi Doug,

Marketing figures that the PTO is for Heavy duty, like a roll back wrecker, for example. I did not see a PTO block off plate on my trans and likely the trans was designed without PTO capability. In reality PTO was almost never used by non commercial customers.

Back story here that I believe I told before but maybe not.... In the early 70s Ford HD 250/350 offered a Super Cool option. Much larger Radiator with increased fin density. Take rate was so small that Marketing and Light Truck Management decided to delete the Super Cool option. And so it went until we got complaints from folks in the South...Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. WTF????

It turned out that the HD F Series by folks down there used to put the Truck up on rear jack stands, remove a rear wheel, Install a belt drum and a huge belt to a canal water pump. They installed a hand throttle and used the vehicle to power the pump...All of a sudden they were experiencing overheating! So Super Cool was brought back into the arena...Who would have thunk that the truck would be driving a pump!

Then I ran across a situation similar where a F350 was driving a saw blade for lumberjacks rough sawing lumber in similar fashion.

Take away is that it is impossible to design for some of the truck's usages we never envisioned.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
As a kid I sat in the seat of my grandfathers truck to run it while on jack stands and it ran the saw mill. In hindsight probably pretty dangerous but if I recall there was a tractor up against the bumper too.
Sponsored