Wiring Harness Questions

68ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 F100 Ranger, 19 STX FX4 Ranger
My truck didn't come with the tow package. I want to add the OEM tow package plus a brake controller. I have a few questions.

I have searched and read through what is needed as far as parts. For the wiring harness, part number KB3Z-15K868-D people describe it as "for sensors". I have an 2019 XL STX. I do not believe I have the bumper backup sensors. Is there a different harness if you don't have sensors or are they all the same?

If I want to add a brake controller, is there already wiring in there for it? The 7 pin connector has the pins for it so I would assume the wiring harness has connectors for the brake pins. Is it wired all the way to the cab so I can just add the controller and tap into some plug somewhere?

What does the trailer button do on the console?

just to verify, these are the correct parts I need?
KB3Z-15K868-D harness
FU5Z-14489-A connector
KB3Z-19D520-A receiver

Thanks,
Don
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
My truck didn't come with the tow package. I want to add the OEM tow package plus a brake controller. I have a few questions.

I have searched and read through what is needed as far as parts. For the wiring harness, part number KB3Z-15K868-D people describe it as "for sensors". I have an 2019 XL STX. I do not believe I have the bumper backup sensors. Is there a different harness if you don't have sensors or are they all the same?

If I want to add a brake controller, is there already wiring in there for it? The 7 pin connector has the pins for it so I would assume the wiring harness has connectors for the brake pins. Is it wired all the way to the cab so I can just add the controller and tap into some plug somewhere?

What does the trailer button do on the console?

just to verify, these are the correct parts I need?
KB3Z-15K868-D harness
FU5Z-14489-A connector
KB3Z-19D520-A receiver

Thanks,
Don
Dig through my posts and you should have about everything imaginable to piece together. If I'm reading you right the "-C" harness would be what you need.

As far as adding a brake controlller... Adding the Ford brake controller kit, or any brake controller for that matter will have some added steps as you have an XL without "tow pack 2". You will need to run power to the cab and also have someone knowledgeable tap into the wiring harness beneath the truck to solder, crimp and route a ten gauge wire into your cab to talk to the 7 way plug you add to the rear. Use your ford pass points for this if possible would be my recommendation.

The #1 benefit to running the ford trailer brake controller in this instance would be that the ford kit pulls the brake signal from the CHMSL so you would not have to do any further "hacking" into your brand new truck to source a brake signal.

The trailer button tells the computer you are towing/hauling. It will change up the way the truck shifts and will also help with slowing down the truck by making the transmission help with braking as to not use the actual brakes as much/as hard.

AkRanger

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT HPR
I installed a hitch, 7 pin trailer plug and prodigy brake controller all from etrailer .com. Their directions were spot on. Even if you are using Ford parts you could download the instructions.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a hitch, 7 pin trailer plug and prodigy brake controller all from etrailer .com. Their directions were spot on. Even if you are using Ford parts you could download the instructions.
Being an XLT owner, you had the wires at the drivers side footwell for making connections. OP is an XL without tow package so he's got some extra steps that would make that not applicable :/ Ford screwed the work truck guys on this one lol

AlS

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4X4 with factory installed tow package
Occupation
retired
Wondering if anyone else has had problems getting a POLLAK 11-896 7 way power outlet adapter to work on the 2019 Ranger tow package. The adapter worked on my neighbors Chevy but when I plug the cigerette lighter plug from my tire inflater on the ranger I get no power?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Wondering if anyone else has had problems getting a POLLAK 11-896 7 way power outlet adapter to work on the 2019 Ranger tow package. The adapter worked on my neighbors Chevy but when I plug the cigerette lighter plug from my tire inflater on the ranger I get no power?
Ranger doesn't supply power unless it senses a trailer. There's a pretty nifty 3rd party product to add a 12v adapter to the bed using existing holes and wiring harness, or you can get an OEM plug that requires some cutting.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There seem to be some differences between models, and some have reported it's a bit harder on an XL without the tow package than it is for XLT and lariat. (Wires under the dash may not be present.)

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
So if the xlt has the wires under the dash is
There A plug the on the back to add the 7/4 connectors in the bumper with the controller ? I thought tow package trucks were the only one with wires

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Is there a plug -- No. There is a flat 4 trailer wiring and connector under the left side of the bumper though. If you wish to use a 7 pin RV plug you have 2 choices. Either buy the factory trailer harness and dual 4/7 pin plug and install. Or you could go the aftermarket route (e-trailer) as an example and buy their plug-n-play harness and 7 pin plug - And install. It's a snap to do - Just don't forget to also order the plug bracket as it is sold separately for around 7 bucks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if the xlt has the wires under the dash is
There A plug the on the back to add the 7/4 connectors in the bumper with the controller ? I thought tow package trucks were the only one with wires
there should already be a 4 pin connector hanging down, because even without the tow package you can add a bumper ball. there's a part you can get to unplug the 4 pin and replace it with a 4/7.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I’m aware of the 4, I actually have to factory 7/4 plug and the whole harness that I thought I needed in my closet just haven’t opened it yet, good to know I can just plug and play easier now

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
There seem to be some differences between models, and some have reported it's a bit harder on an XL without the tow package than it is for XLT and lariat. (Wires under the dash may not be present.)
XL owner here, and I can confirm that the under-dash wires do not exist on my unit. If I end up needing a brake controller, I'll probably go the Curt Echo route just to simplify my life.

AlS

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4X4 with factory installed tow package
Occupation
retired
Ranger doesn't supply power unless it senses a trailer. There's a pretty nifty 3rd party product to add a 12v adapter to the bed using existing holes and wiring harness, or you can get an OEM plug that requires some cutting.
Could you please provide info on the 3rd party product. I am setting up a 3 season camping option that would use PVC framing and mosquito netting with magnetic tape/duck tape on the parimiter over my partially unfolded BAKFLIP bed cover but need DC power for DC sleep apnea gear. An in-bed connection would be great.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you please provide info on the 3rd party product. I am setting up a 3 season camping option that would use PVC framing and mosquito netting with magnetic tape/duck tape on the parimiter over my partially unfolded BAKFLIP bed cover but need DC power for DC sleep apnea gear. An in-bed connection would be great.
https://wolfhaus01.square.site/ but I'm not sure it will help you because I think the circuit powers off after a while.
Sponsored