Winter Prep

Deleted member 1634

The way this fall is already progressing, it seems like winter is only a few weeks away. So it's time to start thinking about preparing the truck for it. I was just wondering what the rest of you are doing for your winter prep (if you experience winter where you are). And what those few of you who have already experienced winter (if only a portion of it) in this truck did, or didn't do but wish you did, last winter.

Anybody doing snowtires?
Adding weight to the bed? How much?

I have many years of the worst kinds of winter driving under my belt, but this will be my first in a RWD vehicle. I'm sure I can adapt and overcome that aspect of it (I understand how it works and what to do) in time, once I get used to it. But is there anything else I need to consider?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I drove from Feb 4th onward (lots and lots of miles). It did well in snow (FX4 crewcab 17" wheels). I would not even consider snow tires at this time.

I live in farm country, and drifts can be 4' tall from a 6" snow, so that might change this winter. Basically the truck is smarter than you, drive it conservatively, and it will do amazing things all by it's self.

I drove a Ford Focus ST for 4 years, and I did get snow tires, mostly because the smallest snowfall was still more than the ground clearance of the car. I'd never have a 2WD car without snow tires again, but the truck can hold it's own pretty easily.

Carry the ubiquitous bag of cat litter in the bed, and stay between the snowbanks and you should be good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

I drove from Feb 4th onward (lots and lots of miles). It did well in snow (FX4 crewcab 17" wheels). I would not even consider snow tires at this time.

I live in farm country, and drifts can be 4' tall from a 6" snow, so that might change this winter. Basically the truck is smarter than you, drive it conservatively, and it will do amazing things all by it's self.

I drove a Ford Focus ST for 4 years, and I did get snow tires, mostly because the smallest snowfall was still more than the ground clearance of the car. I'd never have a 2WD car without snow tires again, but the truck can hold it's own pretty easily.

Carry the ubiquitous bag of cat litter in the bed, and stay between the snowbanks and you should be good.
I had figured the computer would be a great asset in this truck, just based on all the other things it does and figures out. Did you ever use the snow terrain mode when it got deep or slick, or just usual 4WD?

I was getting worried with other people saying the Hankooks weren't that good in the snow. But it's good to hear a positive review of the trucks winter capabilities.

I plan on putting a few hundred pounds of weight/sand in the bed to weigh it down, and drive conservatively (as I usually do both in winter and all times otherwise).

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I used snow and ice mode about 4-5 times as I still had the "bucking bronco" transmission issue (corrected by a TSB), and it would have been uncontrollable otherwise.

We had a few nice ice storms, and maybe 2 snows over 3" since I had it. I'm sure it will be find this winter, but I still carry a small shovel, and some cat litter just in case.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I live in SW MO, we usually do not get a lot of snow what we get is ice, nothing helps on ice.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
6 cans of fluid film for the undercarriage and rockers steel bed and bumpers I'm ready for the nasty road treatment !!the sticky pre storm spray is the worst!! otherwise ready !!!

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
6 cans of fluid film for the undercarriage and rockers steel bed and bumpers I'm ready for the nasty road treatment !!the sticky pre storm spray is the worst!! otherwise ready !!!
I was just about to recommend fluid film myself! Stuff seems to work great at sealing and protecting steel. I used it on my Tacoma, and after 2 Michigan winters, the underside still looked pretty fresh.

Prior experience with the Hankook Dynapros tells me that they are more than adequate in the snow. I don't plan on switching out until I've worn through the factory set, and even then, I'll replace with a good all terrain and won't worry about a dedicated snow tire (although we get a lot less snow down near Detroit than the UP and northern MN, so you may change your mind depending on your experience).

As far as driving the truck in the snow, with my Tacoma, if there was snow or an obviously slippery surface, I'd use 4x4. If it was just wet pavement or mixed with dry spots, I'd just leave it in 4x2 and let traction control handle anything (though I never really needed it, I always seemed to have plenty of grip). The best thing you can do is to just take it easy and feel how the truck handles. If it handles anything like the Tacoma, then you won't really have an issue as long as you aren't being reckless.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Do you have a lift to get under it when you apply this?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

I used snow and ice mode about 4-5 times as I still had the "bucking bronco" transmission issue (corrected by a TSB), and it would have been uncontrollable otherwise.

We had a few nice ice storms, and maybe 2 snows over 3" since I had it. I'm sure it will be find this winter, but I still carry a small shovel, and some cat litter just in case.
I'm actually kind of excited to the use the snow/ice mode. Those terrain modes are one of the reasons I opted for the FX4. And I figure with how smart the computer already is at doing everything else, these modes combined with the stability control and 4WD will be pretty nice.

The ice storms always suck, we don't get many of those. But we did get a couple 10+" storms in mid-May last "spring", and we regularly make trips to the UP, so there'll plenty of chances to try it out. haha

I definitely have plenty of safety supplies in the truck at all times. Chain, tow strap, come-along winch, flares, water, coveralls, shovel, etc. So I'm usually quite prepared for most bad things that can happen. haha The wife complains about it sometimes, but she won't if we ever get stuck or break down in the middle of nowhere and can still be comfortable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

I was just about to recommend fluid film myself! Stuff seems to work great at sealing and protecting steel. I used it on my Tacoma, and after 2 Michigan winters, the underside still looked pretty fresh.

Prior experience with the Hankook Dynapros tells me that they are more than adequate in the snow. I don't plan on switching out until I've worn through the factory set, and even then, I'll replace with a good all terrain and won't worry about a dedicated snow tire (although we get a lot less snow down near Detroit than the UP and northern MN, so you may change your mind depending on your experience).

As far as driving the truck in the snow, with my Tacoma, if there was snow or an obviously slippery surface, I'd use 4x4. If it was just wet pavement or mixed with dry spots, I'd just leave it in 4x2 and let traction control handle anything (though I never really needed it, I always seemed to have plenty of grip). The best thing you can do is to just take it easy and feel how the truck handles. If it handles anything like the Tacoma, then you won't really have an issue as long as you aren't being reckless.
I have heard others mention the fluid film on other threads. Maybe I'll look into that. I haven't ever done it, partly because I've never owned a vehicle before it was already rusted, or with the Subaru it seemed to be coping just fine. But I'd like this truck to last a long time, so I'll look into doing something like that.

Good to hear a positive review about the Hankooks. I figures I'll give them a shot for the first winter and see how it goes. Then adjust accordingly from there. We do definitely get a lot more snow than Detroit, but I'm used to it, so that's just the normal for me. Anything less than 300+" of snow a winter is easy to deal with. haha

I usually take it pretty slow and cautious until I really get acclimated to the vehicle and winter conditions, then I drive pretty normal, which is probably considered cautious and calm compared to most other people I've seen driving. I think I'll probably take after your method of 4WD whenever there's something on the road, and just do 2WD on normal winter stuff.

Thanks!

I don't have a lift, no. Is that something you need to do it?

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
I live in IN and spend the winter in FL. I may never drive my Ranger on snow? Come to think of it why the hell did I buy 4X4? I'll just have to rely on other peoples posts as to how their Rangers do on snow this coming winter, as I read through ranger5g on my lanai, looking out at the ocean, and assume mine would be the same. I just could't resist.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’ll be doing the same as I’ve done with all my vehicles over the years.

I get Krown rustproofing applied in October, then put in my floor liners. November comes and I’ll bolt on a set of winter wheels and tires along with a set of mud flaps.

I don’t believe in adding weight in the bed. I can see how it would give you better traction to take off from a stop but to me it’s just more weight you have to try and stop. I’ve had three open diff 2wd trucks over the years and managed just fine that way and we can get some nasty weather in midwestern Ontario!

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I am 155lbs medium frame so I slide around like a kid under there but I guess ramps couldn't hurt if your a bigger person. the stuff has its own smell so a paper mask some latex gloves maybe in order ? I didn't but like I said I move away from the flow of things !!ps best money spent on keeping a vehicle long term in rust belt!!(I never wash off in spring summer just keep overspraying every fall!!

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I am 155lbs medium frame so I slide around like a kid under there but I guess ramps couldn't hurt if your a bigger person. the stuff has its own smell so a paper mask some latex gloves maybe in order ? I didn't but like I said I move away from the flow of things !!ps best money spent on keeping a vehicle long term in rust belt!!(I never wash off in spring summer just keep overspraying every fall!!
I am not thin, but might be able to get around under enough? You spray every inch of it under there?
Sponsored