First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Attached is a photo of the poor fit of the window seal on the front passenger door window. The Driver's side looks the same. It looks like the vertical leg of the seal is too long for the opening on the door. I was going to complain about it to my dealer, but after looking at every Ranger they had decided it would be fruitless as all the trucks in stock look the same as mine. If the dealer would replace the seal with a new one, I would expect it to not fit correctly too. Anyway, I thought I would put this out there to see how many of you have noticed the poor fit. I am a bit disappointed in the overall quality of this truck...lousy fitting leather seat covers, the upright of the back seat will not latch (until I installed washers under the clasp), transmission shutter when accelerating, excessive wind/road noise, etc. I came from a 2013 F150 Lariat and thought the Ranger would be put together as well as the F150...not so (at least in my case). I know the F150 is more expensive, but for the price of this Ranger, I expected better quality than what I received.
IMG_2881D.jpeg
IMG_2881D.jpeg
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
My truck has the same issues on all four doors. I only notice it when I'm washing the truck but really expected better from Ford. Manufacturers have been putting trim around windows for a long time. You'd think they could get it right by 2020.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Mine have the issue but hasn't shown any signs of leakage. I've chalked it up to a "meh" experience as I rarely even notice it. The only other issue I've had with my truck was resolved by a TSB so it may be that you just got a bad luck build.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Attached is a photo of the poor fit of the window seal on the front passenger door window. The Driver's side looks the same. It looks like the vertical leg of the seal is too long for the opening on the door. I was going to complain about it to my dealer, but after looking at every Ranger they had decided it would be fruitless as all the trucks in stock look the same as mine. If the dealer would replace the seal with a new one, I would expect it to not fit correctly too. Anyway, I thought I would put this out there to see how many of you have noticed the poor fit. I am a bit disappointed in the overall quality of this truck...lousy fitting leather seat covers, the upright of the back seat will not latch (until I installed washers under the clasp), transmission shutter when accelerating, excessive wind/road noise, etc. I came from a 2013 F150 Lariat and thought the Ranger would be put together as well as the F150...not so (at least in my case). I know the F150 is more expensive, but for the price of this Ranger, I expected better quality than what I received.
IMG_2881D.jpeg
IMG_2881D.jpeg
Hi Ron,

Same here. So I just used my fingertips to push the seal home where the bulged area is located. Seal is nice and strait. Sealing has never been an issue. All of one minute a side...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried pushing them in before, Phil. They always go right back to the same bulge.
Hi Jason,

Hmmm.... I will have to check mine again tomorrow as I did this many months ago and decided it was good to go. Stay tuned....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Hi Jason,

Hmmm.... I will have to check mine again tomorrow as I did this many months ago and decided it was good to go. Stay tuned....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sounds like every truck has this , will check tomorrow also .. Am used to it as my 66 stang has same problem since I bought repro rubber seals . Push on it once a week forever on driver side . Checked it , all is fine must be Super Cab does not have the problem .

Last edited:
OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Ron,

Same here. So I just used my fingertips to push the seal home where the bulged area is located. Seal is nice and strait. Sealing has never been an issue. All of one minute a side...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I have pushed it back many times and it just comes right back like the picture shows. I pushed several back on trucks sitting at the dealer and they spring right back out of place. I believe Ford needs to take a look at this. My rear door window seals are not really good either, but not as bad as the fronts.

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My truck has this too.... I noticed it a few weeks ago when I was washing it. I agree with the OP, I too came from an F150 and the build quality was definitely better on the F series.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine are the same. I thought it was the guy that did the tint job, but I guess it's factory.
Any idea if hitting it with a heat gun could help if done properly?

Housemanager

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercab Ranger
My dealer is going to replace two seals, saying it is just not right. While at the dealer I walked around the lot and every one of the Rangers had the same issue. Not sure where the "new" seals will come from. It has been a while since this started prior to the virus uptick.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer is going to replace two seals, saying it is just not right. While at the dealer I walked around the lot and every one of the Rangers had the same issue. Not sure where the "new" seals will come from. It has been a while since this started prior to the virus uptick.
Please post the results of your seal replacement once done. Good luck. I believe Ford needs to take a look at their design dimensions of the seal and the window opening. If these are correct, then someone needs to check the seals and the doors to make sure they are conforming. Something definitely is not correct.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would like to make Ford aware of this seal issue, but if I contact their Customer Care, they will just generate whatever they do and leave it up to the dealer to replace the seals. It seems that all of the trucks have this issue; so, having the dealer replace the seals would not do anything as far as a permanent resolution. Is there a way to just make Ford aware of the problem and let them come up with a fix?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine have the issue but hasn't shown any signs of leakage. I've chalked it up to a "meh" experience as I rarely even notice it. The only other issue I've had with my truck was resolved by a TSB so it may be that you just got a bad luck build.
Only my front passengers side is doing this but not even as bad as the OP's. I'm pretty OCD and this really doesn't bother me,it would if it were to completely come off though.

I'm curious if it has anything to do with the black plastic film between the two doors? There's been a few on here who have removed it and it's painted the truck color underneath. Maybe they will see this and chime in as to whether theirs are doing this to?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, I have pushed it back many times and it just comes right back like the picture shows. I pushed several back on trucks sitting at the dealer and they spring right back out of place. I believe Ford needs to take a look at this. My rear door window seals are not really good either, but not as bad as the fronts.
Hi Ron,

Checked and my seals are still nice and strait. What I did was force the vertical strip down as well as push the bulge in,,,This forced the end that goes below the bottom seal to travel downward just a tad. Seems to work for me. Both sides are still good.

Just use your thumb and pull the seal in a downward manor starting at the top and work your thumb all the way to the lower glass seal. Might work for you too.

Looks like the manufacturer that makes the molded seal has a bit of a quality issue

You can write the Plant Vehicle Team Manager at:
38303 Michigan Ave.
Wayne, Mi 48184
Phone 734-467-0500

Phone call is unlikely to get you anywhere, but try if you like to get to the PVT Engineering

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Last edited: