• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Will Ford fix the fuel tank size?

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
The worst thing about my Ranger is the fuel tank size. Why did Ford think it was ok to go with a 17 gallon tank when all the competition uses 21 gallons? Does anyone know if they resolved this for the 6th gen Rangers? I think a truck should be able to go over 400 miles on a tank and the current gen Ranger only goes around 330-340.
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Not sure about the US spec vehicles, but the 5G and 6G global Rangers have an 80L tank (which is 21.1 US Gal).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Not sure about the US spec vehicles, but the 5G and 6G global Rangers have an 80L tank (which is 21.1 US Gal).
My owners manual for my 5G shows an 18.8 gallon tank:

Ford Ranger Will Ford fix the fuel tank size? 1675676152364

I'd guess it has something to do with the modified frame for NA, but that is just a guess.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My owners manual for my 5G shows an 18.8 gallon tank:

1675676152364.png

I'd guess it has something to do with the modified frame for NA, but that is just a guess.
The only modifications to the frame are very minor

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
The worst thing about my Ranger is the fuel tank size. Why did Ford think it was ok to go with a 17 gallon tank when all the competition uses 21 gallons? Does anyone know if they resolved this for the 6th gen Rangers? I think a truck should be able to go over 400 miles on a tank and the current gen Ranger only goes around 330-340.
If you drive more conservatively you can pretty easily get over 400 miles on a tank. I've gotten over 500 miles on a tank a few times with my 5g Ranger. That wasn't necessarily easy, but it is possible.
But either way, all that said, yes, I do wish the Ranger tank size was larger. Really makes it annoying when towing, especially in places where it's 100-200 miles between gas stations as it is.

Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Scab - Shadow Black
Are you filling up when it reads 1/4 full?

I don’t think the size of the tank is the issue. If you’re only getting that many miles per tank, that’s about 18 mpg or less. I do better than that with a heavy fibreglass topper, 2” level, big heavy tires, loaded up roof rack, fender flares, a bed full of tools, and an air dam delete. I have the aerodynamics of a food truck. A lot of folks on 5g report better than 400 miles/tank and 22-24 mpg.

It’s either your driving habits, cargo, or mods.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
This has been beat to death on the 5G site. everyone's driving style and commute is different. If you do a lot of city stop n go driving that'll kill it right there. Also hilly areas or being hard on the gas will do it too as you're into the boost. Mine is lifted, larger tires and tuned and consistently it says 420 miles to E when I fill up. The best was 461 when we were traveling so it can be done. But yes I do wish the 6G would get at least a 21 gal tank.

Ford Ranger Will Ford fix the fuel tank size? 1675687878810

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Are you filling up when it reads 1/4 full?

I don’t think the size of the tank is the issue. If you’re only getting that many miles per tank, that’s about 18 mpg or less. I do better than that with a heavy fibreglass topper, 2” level, big heavy tires, loaded up roof rack, fender flares, a bed full of tools, and an air dam delete. I have the aerodynamics of a food truck. A lot of folks on 5g report better than 400 miles/tank and 22-24 mpg.

It’s either your driving habits, cargo, or mods.
You're right, I calculated it wrong. I averaged about 21 mpg so I was getting around 360 miles per tank. Still annoying when I know with a 21 gallon take I could have lasted 2 more days to work and back between fill ups.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gen 6 Ranger WildTrak
Occupation
I could tell you, but then I’d have to…
For our diesel versions of the gen 6, Ford actually offers an extended range (36 gallon) fuel tank in the accessory catalog. . Would love to see that as an option back home. The Bronco guys have been looking for one for years, especially on the 2 door…

Ford Ranger Will Ford fix the fuel tank size? 28E10ABE-FDF1-4855-9277-274F7CBA0DAE

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
my Shelby GT500 barely gets 200 Miles out of a tank. That could be right foot impacted. But the tank is small. JP

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not if you listen for Ford.... :LOL: You'd think it was a whole new design!
Technically it was, it was on the updated T6.2 chassis shared with the Bronco and 6G, just with the 5G body on it and set at the 5G wheelbase.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
At least give Ford a job well done; After all, they didn't make the bed bottom as the top part of the fuel tank!

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Next Gen Ranger Wildtrak -RA
Occupation
Retired Automotive Cad Monkey
Technically it was, it was on the updated T6.2 chassis shared with the Bronco and 6G, just with the 5G body on it and set at the 5G wheelbase.
The 5G NA ladder frame was a completely new frame as it was down graded from the 5G ROW due to the reduced payload & Towing requirement and a completely different ladder frame manufacturing design. The Bronco ladder frame was completely new and shared very little with the 5G NA ladder frame due to front track location & track width being different and also the engine installation location. When the 6G NA Ranger is released the ladder frames will share a lot of common components in the Front frame area with the Bronco, but again they will be different due to other differences between the 2 vehicles and a 5G Ranger Body will not fit on a 6G frame due to the front track location.
The 6G ranger fuel tank will basically be carryover from the 6G ROW tank as you need the space in front of the fuel tank to meet frontal crash and other possible future programs that they are looking at.
Sponsored