First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I haven't been around much lately, but a while back I posted about looking for a new car for my wife. She has had a Volvo XC70 for 20 years.

She finally decided she wanted a new car, Hybrid. We went today and drove an Explorer. It was very nice, but it was more SUV/Truck than she wanted, and no plug in option.... and we went there because I wanted her to see it as a reference point.

Then, we went to Volvo. The difference is night and day. Plug in Hybrid, drives like a car, and the electronics eat Sync 3's lunch.

ETA: It's an XC60 Recharge, which is the plug in hybrid.

Not for everyone, and the price is more. Happy wife, happy life.

v2.jpg

v1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I haven't been around much lately, but a while back I posted about looking for a new car for my wife. She has had a Volvo XC70 for 20 years.

She finally decided she wanted a new car, Hybrid. We went today and drove an Explorer. It was very nice, but it was more SUV/Truck than she wanted, and no plug in option.... and we went there because I wanted her to see it as a reference point.

Then, we went to Volvo. The difference is night and day. Plug in Hybrid, drives like a car, and the electronics eat Sync 3's lunch.

v2.jpg

v1.jpg
NICE! We looked at those, awesome car, but with the wife's Prius getting 55 mpg and looking new for a 2016 w/15K on the odemeter we just couldn't justify it, she just doesn't drive that much.

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
NICE! We looked at those, awesome car, but with the wife's Prius getting 55 mpg and looking new for a 2016 w/15K on the odemeter we just couldn't justify it, she just doesn't drive that much.
I hear you. My wife works at home and drives occasionally (me too, now, with covid lockdown and my IT job going mostly remote). She bought a new XC70 in 2002, and it has only about 120K miles in 20 years. My Ranger is 18 months old with 8k on the odometer, but I digress... she wanted a new car and I wanted her to get one after buying my Ranger Lariat, 20 year old tech just can't compare.

Get this. She's 65 and she's only owned 2 cars! Her first was a brand new '78 VW bug convertible that she drove for 25 years, and then the XC70 she drove for 20. Crazy. I don't buy that many cars, but I've had about 6 in that same time. Our mechanic says that's the money years... maybe for him, I'm not sure :)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

v2.jpg

v1.jpg
A friend just ordered one. Her's must be something a little off the beaten path as it won't be here until late November. She was shopping all electric but the more she looked and asked questions, the more she gravitated to PHEV.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
It’s odd that you posted this. My wife is looking for something after her 2016 Ford Explorer. She drove a wrangler 4xe, but seat didn’t work for her. She thought about the bronco, but the 15k price markup soured both of us on any Ford. We might be headed to Volvos.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

v2.jpg

v1.jpg
That is definitely not for camping, mountain bike trips, or someone in Carhartt Workwear - I would be banned from getting near that interior. It sure is sharp looking though - definitely girlie - I’m sure she loves it. ??

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

v2.jpg

v1.jpg
Very nice! :like:

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
A friend just ordered one. Her's must be something a little off the beaten path as it won't be here until late November. She was shopping all electric but the more she looked and asked questions, the more she gravitated to PHEV.
The dealer said they get 'allotments', and they had 1 remaining allotment for a December build for the type of car she wanted. I guess there are still shortages, and in fact the new models don't have wireless charging because of the chip shortage.

It’s odd that you posted this. My wife is looking for something after her 2016 Ford Explorer. She drove a wrangler 4xe, but seat didn’t work for her. She thought about the bronco, but the 15k price markup soured both of us on any Ford. We might be headed to Volvos.
Cool. the stock shortages are still there and don't expect any 'discounts'. They basically told us, hey, we don't have stock, this is the price.

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Nice, but that white interior is making me nervous and its not even my car.
It's not white, but it is whiteish. It's Sand. It's the closest they have to her current car (tan) and my ranger (sandstone, or what ever it is). The only other option was black/charcoal and she didn't like it. Her car, her choice.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
It's not white, but it is whiteish. It's Sand. It's the closest they have to her current car (tan) and my ranger (sandstone, or what ever it is). The only other option was black/charcoal and she didn't like it. Her car, her choice.
I get it. I’m surprised they put that light color on the steering wheel. Looks nice, but anything your hands touch stays dirty.

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I get it. I’m surprised they put that light color on the steering wheel. Looks nice, but anything your hands touch stays dirty.
True. I probably wouldn't have wanted that on the wheel. Maybe a can of 'leather cleaner wipes' is in her future. :)

We don't have kids, and when ever people with kids get in her car they say "holy crap, this car is clean!

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
That is definitely not for camping, mountain bike trips, or someone in Carhartt Workwear - I would be banned from getting near that interior. It sure is sharp looking though - definitely girlie - I’m sure she loves it. ??
I have the ranger for that stuff. I told her not to even get a hitch cause if we need that I have the truck. But, yes, it ain't for everyone, and don't get light interior. :)

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 APG Ranger Lariot
I like it! Looks good! I like the white interior but it does make me nervous ha. When we ordered our Tesla a few years ago the white interior was the only thing I regret! I think it looks cool now in hindsight haha.
Sponsored