First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I was cleaning up my 2020 Ranger and noticed these openings in each end of the front bumper beside the fog light (pic). The purpose of the opening has me puzzled. Is it to lighten the bumper? To direct a stream of air over the tire? To reduce wind resistance? Aesthetics?

The openings collect dirt and sand in the winter, but I don't think that's their purpose.

Any ideas why they are there?

Bumper Port.jpg
Sponsored

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Please don't quote me, but I think it has to do with aerodynamic flow around the turning wheels or wheel wells...or something like that. Sorry I couldn't be much help

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
it only adds aerodynamic advantages when a tailgate damper is installed. makes it go faster.
if you dont have a tailgate damper, the wind just knows it's suppose to bypass this area. it's all in the programmed logic of the onboard density altitude comparator.
Cool!

Link to " density altitude comparator ". Need to read up on it, it may help on my bicycle. :crazy::LOL::LOL:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Those help manage airflow around the wheel well. Looks like it will bring in a relative clean stream of fast-moving air from the front, which will prevent more turbulent from entering from the side (sliding around the front to the side).

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'll just go ahead and say it....
It's a style element. There for the looks.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I think sometimes it's just as simple an answer as that.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
it only adds aerodynamic advantages when a tailgate damper is installed. makes it go faster.
if you dont have a tailgate damper, the wind just knows it's suppose to bypass this area. it's all in the programmed logic of the onboard density altitude comparator.

was wondering how long before a damper reference would come up
:)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
because we all know, once someone gets a damper, they watch it go down slowly for hours, then do it again, and again.
the heat buildup is immense as the damper fights to control the extreme heavy weight of our tailgates. it needs liquid cooling, this air cooling isnt sufficient enough.

First person to design a liquid cooling system for their damper wins a gift card to walmart.
I'm trying to design a mini mister system which taps into the coolant ,lines. As the tailgate lowers the mister folds down cooling the damper which will increase it's speed. Now how to collect the coolant so it's not all over the bed? ?

:idea: On second thought I guess I could add a washer bottle and small pump and just use water. Grab power from the 110 mod listed on the forum.

Mini Mister.jpg

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to design a mini mister system which taps into the coolant ,lines. As the tailgate lowers the mister folds down cooling the damper which will increase it's speed. Now how to collect the coolant so it's not all over the bed? ?

:idea: On second thought I guess I could add a washer bottle and small pump and just use water. Grab power from the 110 mod listed on the forum.

Mini Mister.jpg
Great idea! You could apply for an AOC governmental grant for a practical application of carbon/heat reduction technique in the NGBD* Minimum grant funding is about $14B, so you could actually apply it to a new test vehicle as part of the research grant...thinking Bronco would work well?:idea:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Great idea! You could apply for an AOC governmental grant for a practical application of carbon/heat reduction technique in the NGBD* Minimum grant funding is about $14B, so you could actually apply it to a new test vehicle as part of the research grant...thinking Bronco would work well?:idea:
Gonna need a fleet of them all over the country so we have an accurate data pool. Then we can all meet in Colorado to compare notes. There will be alternative locations pending funding grants! ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna need a fleet of them all over the country so we have an accurate data pool. Then we can all meet in Colorado to compare notes. There will be alternative locations pending funding grants! ?
Well, they're supposed to be finding 14 trillion for the new big green deal and this certainly would involve a science of some type and help employ autoworkers and other various sundry folk, what could possibly go wrong!:idea:
Sponsored

Last edited: