Why does my Ranger ride rougher than my F150 did?

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Don't know a lot about frames and suspensions. Just surprised how my '20 Ranger Lariat, 2wd, rides rougher then the '15 F150 XLT I traded in. Maybe rougher isn't descriptive enough, I would describe it that the Ranger seems to "hop" around more over bumps in the road.

I've read a few threads about replacing the rear shocks, just not sure what that will address exactly. Does it only smooth out the rear of the truck?

Either way I'm thrilled to have my new Ranger, never thought I would ever have a Lariat level trim.

Kevin
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Don't know a lot about frames and suspensions. Just surprised how my '20 Ranger Lariat, 2wd, rides rougher then the '15 F150 XLT I traded in. Maybe rougher isn't descriptive enough, I would describe it that the Ranger seems to "hop" around more over bumps in the road.

I've read a few threads about replacing the rear shocks, just not sure what that will address exactly. Does it only smooth out the rear of the truck?

Either way I'm thrilled to have my new Ranger, never thought I would ever have a Lariat level trim.

Kevin
what are your tires set at?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Some Fox 2.0 rear shocks made a lot of difference for me... I'd like the get the fronts too but not sure if that's a bit more $$$ than I want to spend.

OP
OP
Kevreh

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Tires were at 35psi, lowered them a bit to 33. I do not have the FX2 package.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
For some reason,Ford chose to put the worst shock package known to man on these trucks...

Spring rates seem good,but changing the shocks,does wonders.

And I’m sure other have stated,double check your tire pressures.

Usually any decent aftermarket rear shock at the minimum will change the driving dynamics a good deal.

I put a pair of Rough Country shocks on the rear of mine,and it made it significantly better!
I have since installed an Icon stage 2 suspension set up on mine,and now I can blast like an idiot over things.Mine is a 4x4 though.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Put 3 , 50 pound bags of sand in bed over the axle . Good enough for now more steady .

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Tires were at 35psi, lowered them a bit to 33. I do not have the FX2 package.
What's the door sticker call out for tire psi?

Mine were at 40 psi when I got it from the dealer. I kept dropping it until I got it riding nice....which coincidentally happened to be the psi called out on my door frame.

OP
OP
Kevreh

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
the F150 being heavier, longer, wider and just all around set up better, is why you feel a difference.
but dont sweat it, you get used to it.
you can throw money at it. but alot of times you just convince yourself the money you spent was worth it....some times its not. its the mental game people play with themselves.
over time you learn the right speed and better way to approach obstacles, like curbs, ditches, wild animals (and sometime old ladies or children) to lesson the harshness.
the best part is your body learns to tense at the right moments just before a bone jarring shake and your core benefits from it. I wont say I've got a six pack yet, but dayyyum....i feel some firmness coming back after all these years. Thank you Ford for not giving me a girly truck like the ridgeline.
That’s a really good point, it does take time adapting to a new car. Either way it’s fun to drive, whereas with my f150 it was more about maneuvering through traffic and getting into small parking spots ?
For some reason,Ford chose to put the worst shock package known to man on these trucks...

Spring rates seem good,but changing the shocks,does wonders.

And I’m sure other have stated,double check your tire pressures.

Usually any decent aftermarket rear shock at the minimum will change the driving dynamics a good deal.

I put a pair of Rough Country shocks on the rear of mine,and it made it significantly better!
I have since installed an Icon stage 2 suspension set up on mine,and now I can blast like an idiot over things.Mine is a 4x4 though.
When you say better do you mean just the tail bouncing around? Does it affect the front somehow?

What's the door sticker call out for tire psi?

Mine were at 40 psi when I got it from the dealer. I kept dropping it until I got it riding nice....which coincidentally happened to be the psi called out on my door frame.
Mine says 35psi on the door.

Is there much difference between the rough country, blistering, and other shocks?

Also I have the tools to replace them. Guessing if you jack up the axle on each side you need to remove the tire to get at the shock?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I thought the shocks on the FX4 was acceptable, but it did everything you say yours does. After getting the Ford Performance Fox 2.0's front and rear, I no longer think the ride and handling was acceptable. It was such an improvement, it should be OE. The rear end no longer bounces around on washboards, the side to side sway is gone, the front end no longer dips when braking. It's just such a better overall experience.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Keep playing with tire pressure, it'll help a bit. I've gone as low as 28. Watch for uneven wear across the tread though.
Hi CR,

There is a pressure related to a condition called Rim Roll off where the tire bead seat can unseat and cause sudden deflation. Airing down is a concern.... Cannot say what that pressure is for every wheel tire combination...Check with the tire manufacturer. Most tires rim rolloff is around 25 psi... Want to run really lower pressures...use bead locks. Not legal in most states...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Hi CR,

There is a pressure related to a condition called Rim Roll off where the tire bead seat can unseat and cause sudden deflation. Airing down is a concern.... Cannot say what that pressure is for every wheel tire combination...Check with the tire manufacturer. Most tires rim rolloff is around 25 psi... Want to run really lower pressures...use bead locks. Not legal in most states...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Good info! I'm going on 14 years with my '07 Ranger XL 2 door. Rides really rough. I run 25-28 on the back, 28-33 on the front. (""Apples & oranges"", I know, being an 07 lol). I like my tires soft, plus I think it's easier on the springs and shocks. Although it's impossible, regardless of pressure, to get them to wear evenly across the tread.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Hi CR,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Good info! I'm going on 14 years with my '07 Ranger XL 2 door. Rides really rough. I run 25-28 on the back, 28-33 on the front. (""Apples & oranges"", I know, being an 07 lol). I like my tires soft, plus I think it's easier on the springs and shocks. Although it's impossible, regardless of pressure, to get them to wear evenly across the tread.
Sponsored