• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Why are you waiting for a 2023 Ranger instead of buying a current model mid-size truck?

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I’m sure many of us are active across the various forums and thought it might be insightful for others to share the single biggest reason why they are not buying a 2021 or 2022 mid-size truck?
My primary reason for not purchasing:
Ranger: Dated platform
Tacoma: rear seat misery
GM Twins: car interiors
22 Frontier: rear seat comfort
Ridgeline: low ground clearance
Gladiator: solid front axle issues

What I want to see in 23 Ranger
Solid Powertrain (2.3 and 2.7 option), updated tech/safety from Bronco, off-road suspension and tire package, 7k towing, 1600 lb payload, fully functional rear seat (fold up/down) with some rear rake and leg room as well as rear armrest, A/C vents, and USB. Comfortable front seats with 6 way power driver/passenger, lumbar, telescopic/ tilt steering, and skid plates.
Sponsored

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
Praying they seriously go after Toyota and offer a manual transmission. And if so, that they match or exceed the Taco's towing capacity.
Otherwise I guess I'm going with a Taco.

OP
OP

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Yea, I read the take rake for the Bronco manual is 15%. Definite demand out there.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
I’ve got two Rangers, a 19 and a 21……..waiting for the 2.7
Regards

Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
All of the current midsize trucks are dated except for the Frontier. And although new for ‘22, it barely reaches status qou for the segment (tech/drivetrain).

I’m holding out for the next gen Ranger with the hopes of a SuperCrew/longbed configuration which Isn’t currently available. Also on my wish list a Lariat FX-4 (minimum) or possibly a Tremor package in the mentioned configuration. While we’re at it, give me a sunroof and updated tech and interior space. My dream is a base overland rig right from Ford with factory warranty still intact. How about a nice shade of green too.

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I have a 2020 lariat scab, purchased new in March. If they offer a hybrid scab in 2023, then it will get a hard look from me. I love the 2020, but a hybrid 4x4 is on my radar.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Am very tempted by the Maverick, but will likely hold out for the '23 Ranger. Not a fan of any midsize in the segment. They're either on an old platform (Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado) or have lackluster MPG/trip range (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado) or both. Maverick is interesting, but I want more truck capability.

My dream truck is a ranger crew cab short box with the Maverick's interior space/utility, and 60/40 rear seats.

A Hybrid 4WD option would be cool, too.

Coming from a '14 Forester that does everything I want except tow and haul, so I'm gonna be as picky as I need to be. I even flirted with the idea of a F-150 but I don't want a land yacht.

OP
OP

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I think the Ranger will have similar interior dimensions, materials (cloth, leather),and functionality as the 4 door Bronco. Maybe you can sit in a dealer mannequin to see if you like the feel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I am waiting for car prices to normalize before I buy anything.
One advantage of next Ranger. Should be a glut of vehicles catching up. Prob 6 months of newness and then pretty regular 5k under MSRP deals. The new Tacoma and GM twins will be out as well. The newFrontier is selling really well and those will be well loaded trucks under MSRP by then as well.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I think the Ranger will have similar interior dimensions, materials (cloth, leather),and functionality as the 4 door Bronco. Maybe you can sit in a dealer mannequin to see if you like the feel.
The new Ranger is going to be a heavy refresh of the current one, so as far as interior space is concerned, the current Ranger is a pretty good indication of what it will be (especially the rear seats). The materials as you say will be more like the Bronco.

OP
OP

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
You guys will see it first for sure. Be interesting to hear the reviews.
Sponsored