First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Been doing a bunch of research into wheel spacers, and I think I've decided I want to install some 1" spacers. I've got a Lariat FX4 with a 2.5" RC leveling kit installed. Running factory stock tires and magnetic 18" wheels.

First question: Will installing a 1" spacer cause any rubbing with stock tires and wheels? (I don't think it will, but wanted to see if anyone had more insight)
Second: What brand/spacer do you recommend? I'm looking at either Bora or Faction Fab from Stage 3, but would be happy to consider other alternatives.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
With just a leveling kit you will be ok. If you want to go to a bigger tire on factory wheels without rubbing I would suggest no more than 265/65-18. I have 265/70-17 and they dont rub. I also have the Old Man EMU lift and it is awesome. If you have a 4x4 I would suggest that over a spacer lift or perhaps go with the Fox kit if you only want to level.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I should also add that I do not recommend using wheel spacers either. It will set the tire off enough to cause premature hub failure. Now if you still want to go to a 285 tire I would suggest getting the OZ Rally Raid wheel. It who'll bring the center out by 1/4 inch and allow no rubbing at all.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the info Chris - let me give a bit more detail:

a) I already have a 2.5" spacer leveling kit installed on the front. No plans to change that.
b) I do not want larger tires or wheels. I like how it came stock, and plan to keep them.
c) I just want the stance to be a smidge wider, thus I'm considering 1" wheel spacers.

I should also add that I do not recommend using wheel spacers either. It will set the tire off enough to cause premature hub failure.
Can you provide more detail on this? Will a 1" spacer on stock hubs and wheels and tires really cause the hubs to wear out early? This is the first such warning I've heard about that....

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I was real happy with the Bora spacers. Quality seams spot on and made in America.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the info Chris - let me give a bit more detail:

a) I already have a 2.5" spacer leveling kit installed on the front. No plans to change that.
b) I do not want larger tires or wheels. I like how it came stock, and plan to keep them.
c) I just want the stance to be a smidge wider, thus I'm considering 1" wheel spacers.

Can you provide more detail on this? Will a 1" spacer on stock hubs and wheels and tires really cause the hubs to wear out early? This is the first such warning I've heard about that....
Any time you change where the center line of the wheel or tire from the stock location this will happen. Now it doesn't mean that it will go out in a month. For example lets say the hub life is expected to only last 100,000 miles, changing the centerline of the wheen and tire will lower that life expectancy. The farther you go out the worse it gets. The people how get it worse are the one who have the entire wheel and tire sticking out of the fender.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Quote from Frenchy: "I should also add that I do not recommend using wheel spacers either. It will set the tire off enough to cause premature hub failure."

I have to say that I am very surprised that this has not been mentioned before (as far as I am aware).
Any time the load on the wheel bearings is extended outward, this additional leverage causes premature wear of these bearings. I know this from my experience from installing wider wheels on a Datsun 280Z a number of years ago. I would need to replace wheel bearings several times a year. This car used tapered bearings instead of the Ranger's more substantial bearings pressed into the hubs, but the stress is still there.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Quote from Frenchy: "I should also add that I do not recommend using wheel spacers either. It will set the tire off enough to cause premature hub failure."

I have to say that I am very surprised that this has not been mentioned before (as far as I am aware).
Any time the load on the wheel bearings is extended outward, this additional leverage causes premature wear of these bearings. I know this from my experience from installing wider wheels on a Datsun 280Z a number of years ago. I would need to replace wheel bearings several times a year. This car used tapered bearings instead of the Ranger's more substantial bearings pressed into the hubs, but the stress is still there.
If you were replacing a bearing several times a year. You had bigger issues than a Wider wheel! OP I wouldn’t worry to much about a spacer causing a bearing failure. Especially something as tame as a one inch spacer. I had 150k miles on an old SN95 mustang With spacers and not a single bearing failure. This is a truck built to off road and tow up to 7500 pounds. I doubt ford put such a delicate bearing in there. That you'll be replacing bearing in the next 6 months.

Last edited:

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bluebeastsrt,
It is very good to know that you have had such positive longevity experience using wheel spacers.
My experience could well have been that the design was already maxed out for the bearings specified and the wheel/tire combo was heavier than the originals. I simply wanted to bring up the thought process regarding altering the leverage against the OEM wheel bearings by spacing out heavier wheel/tire combos.

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F...orged-Aluminum-Wheel-Spacers-Set-of-Four.html

I've been running these for 20k miles, and I drive my truck hard. I wouldn't worry about the added stress on the bearings if you top out at 1.5". I also have been running the same brand on a Durango for over 50k miles.

--
I should also note on stock FX4 wheels, the 1" didn't really do much cosmetically. The extra half inch gave it the perfect stance.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Bluebeastsrt,
It is very good to know that you have had such positive longevity experience using wheel spacers.
My experience could well have been that the design was already maxed out for the bearings specified and the wheel/tire combo was heavier than the originals. I simply wanted to bring up the thought process regarding altering the leverage against the OEM wheel bearings by spacing out heavier wheel/tire combos.
There are no guarantees when making any modifications to an automobile. 99% of people will never see a failure with a certain mod. I don't care if it's a wheel spacer. Or a 93 octane tune. (However I don't recommend using cheap Chinese made nonhubcentric spacers). Mods are like anything else. You get what you pay for. My point was only that if spacers were wiping out bearings left and right on a ranger. We probably would have heard something by now. Obviously only the OP can make up his mind "if the juice is worth the squeeze". But I doubt even 1% of spacer users will ever see a failure. Ill usually take those 99 time out of 100 odds. My apologies if it seamed like I was attacking you personally.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

My big concern with wheel spacers is that you just added another joint interface to the system which is untested by Ford Durability and wheel loosening could be an issue. In years past on Ranger and Explorer we experienced wheel separation from the vehicle. The design of the 4x4 front axle was such that the hub lock was trapped by the wheel and in some cases this extra joint was associated in wheel loosening when my engineer got involved using our flat track machine. There is more to the story than just the extra joint which I will not get into here but the extra joint in the system was a contributing factor. Take away is to check your wheel lugnuts for loosening. Do not know how to check spacer to rotor but make sure the fasteners are torqued to the 100 ft-lb spec. or what the spacer manufacturer specifies.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offence taken, Bluebeastsrt.
With all the talk about wheel spacers, I thought it best to bring up the possibility of an issue, even if that possibility is remote.
I appreciate both yours and Phil's comments on the subject.
I do however apologize for hijacking the OP's posting though!

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Great feedback and discussion, everyone! Now I'm waffling between 1" and 1.5" spacers. I don't want a bunch of rock chips / road grit thrown up all over the sides of the truck all the time which is why I was thinking just a 1" spacer would be just enough. But maybe 1.5" would still be ok...

Really wish I could actually *see*various options on the truck before I pull the trigger on the parts.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
quangdog,
One important item that Bluebeaststr mentioned and is worth repeating, is to make certain that whichever spacers you decide on are machined to be Hub Centric!
Sponsored