Where to put my switches in my '20 Ranger Lariet FX4?

WyoRanger

First Name
Kymbrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX-4
Occupation
Automotive Retail
I am wondering where to put aftermarket lighting switches on my Ranger? I have looked but not found a suitable place for them. Where have any of you put your switches? Ideas thoughts?

Kym
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The Lightforce facia is a popular switch mounting panel. Do a search on "Lightforce", you'll find several threads. A general search on "switch panels" will probably give multiple other options.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I use a Switch Pros 8 panel for my switching needs. The LED's are configurable so I color matched them to the OEM lighting. I bought a Switch Pros mount from from SDHQ. Everything looks factory.

I originally went with SPOD but could not find any good mounting options. I then switched to Switch Pros. I suggest using a quality switching solution to prevent drain on your battery and added protection of your devices.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Dash tray. Any place not eye level is awkward to toggle. I use to have this by the hood release and it is a poor position to fumble for switches. While the climate control area fascia is popular it has the same problem to me. Looks pretty but not a natural place to reach.

$23 or $30 for 6 switches + $15 trim removal set is all it cost. Also it is self contained circuitry fuses as well.

Even Ford is placing switches jn the dash tray with the Tremor.

7CB1F833-C5EC-4593-AED5-08AA6A575C67.jpeg

912EE9BE-11D0-4D57-8E7B-D25B72E4AD80.jpeg

Last edited:

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
$700 not including lights...DAAAAMN!
Most good switch panels are around $550. This kit comes with a mounting bracket for the wire module that sits in the engine bay. It also comes with the mount inside the cab. Switch Pros itself is a great panel. The brackets gives you a finished look and good placement

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Most good switch panels are around $550. This kit comes with a mounting bracket for the wire module that sits in the engine bay. It also comes with the mount inside the cab. Switch Pros itself is a great panel. The brackets gives you a finished look and good placement
Define "good" ?

My (for lack of a better term) analog setup has all the same components and works the same. Lets call a spade a spade, back lit panels look cooler and come pre-packaged with all the needed components and harness. I'm telling you though, people are paying an absorbent of money for having someone else pre-wire the components.

If time is more important than money, then I totally get it and this is not a knock on anyone who buys these products.

I encourage everyone to build their own, you learn very basic wiring knowledge and can also custom make the harness lengths and hand pick each component.

The overhead console seems popular, depending on how much room you need.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.4696/post-74403

Not sure why @dangerranger16 needs a Sasquatch switch, but I like it!
I want to add some combo (momentary) switches up there eventually to be strictly for warning strobes. I'm working up the courage to drill through those components. haha

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Define "good" ?

My (for lack of a better term) analog setup has all the same components and works the same. Lets call a spade a spade, back lit panels look cooler and come pre-packaged with all the needed components and harness. I'm telling you though, people are paying an absorbent of money for having someone else pre-wire the components.

If time is more important than money, then I totally get it and this is not a knock on anyone who buys these products.

I encourage everyone to build their own, you learn very basic wiring knowledge and can also custom make the harness lengths and hand pick each component.

I want to add some combo (momentary) switches up there eventually to be strictly for warning strobes. I'm working up the courage to drill through those components. haha
It is very expensive. I do like the tactial feel of manual toggle switches. What I needed was something that doesn't take up too much room and doesn't overwhelm the cabin. I have a Garmin Overlander installed just above the radio so switches up there would not work for me.

The other reason that I chose a touch panel is configurability of each switch. I can independently control how each switch operates. Single tap is on/off. Double tap is strobe or flash. Switches 1 - 4 are on battery so I can use them if the truck is on or off. Switches 5 - 8 are ignition powered so they are on only when the engine is running.

Using the switch pros makes wiring incredibly easy. I don't need relays and fuses for each switch. That saves a lot of time and space in the engine bay. I also like running a single cat 6 cable into the cabin rather than multiple power cables.

I figure working off of someone else's proven design simplifies installation and usability. For me it is worth the extra cost. For my motorcycles I wire everything with tactial / toggle switches. I need that positive feel when I'm wearing gloves.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I forgot to mention one thing that I don't like about Switch Pros. There is a small amount of battery drain. This is somewhat configurable by setting the sleep timer. I believe that it stays on until the indicated time to enable Bluetooth connectivity and usage when the engine is off if you have it configured that way.

I will also mention one good thing. It looks like it came from the factory. I color matched the LED color output to the factory switches. It looks great at night!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also real big on redundancy, probably more than I should be.

It bugs me that on those systems the possibility of a single component failure can cause an entire system failure. Will that happen? Probably not the company has used quality components. I just know that murphys law is a bitch. haha

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering where to put aftermarket lighting switches on my Ranger? I have looked but not found a suitable place for them. Where have any of you put your switches? Ideas thoughts?

Kym
I bought the fascia that fits above the shifter. Keeps the 2 12 volt ports and has 3 light switch spots. I installed the trailer brake knob in the middle and wired in 2 switches on the ends for later light additions so I don't have to tear it down again
Sponsored