Where to Find Ball Joints

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
So I have been experiencing a banging sounds on sharp bumps for the last few thousand miles. It sounds like a loose bracket. I have checked everything.

It SEEMS LIKE it is coming from the upper ball joint on the front passenger side. I am going to put it on a lift next week and figure it out for sure. But in the mean time, I have been looking around for new ball joints. I have had zero luck find anything. All that I can find in OEM style for 2WD. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If there is nothing available OE, is there anything from MOOG? For reference, the suspension is stock except for 2.5 inch spacers in the front.

I appreciate any help or guidance.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They would be under warranty still. A quick way to check ball joints is to jack up the car until tire is off ground . Use a pry bar or something like it and lift from bottom of tire. If joints are bad it will become apparent very quickly using this method.

Not sure on UCA’s if the ball joint is replaceable. Probably pressed fit in so without the right press you’re not getting it out! Looking online quickly doesn’t look like they’re replaceable

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have nearly 60,000 miles on the Ranger. Ball joints are out of warranty. I am going to check for sure next week, but I am about 90% certain it is the upper ball joint. Everything is replaceable, and I have access to a shop with the proper press. Just can't find the part.

ETA: That said, it looks like replacing the entire control arm is a lot easier. Is there a difference between 2WD and 4WD of the control arm? If so, does anyone know the part number?

Last edited:

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I have nearly 60,000 miles on the Ranger. Ball joints are out of warranty. I am going to check for sure next week, but I am about 90% certain it is the upper ball joint. Everything is replaceable, and I have access to a shop with the proper press. Just can't find the part.

ETA: That said, it looks like replacing the entire control arm is a lot easier. Is there a difference between 2WD and 4WD of the control arm? If so, does anyone know the part number?
Here are the part numbers. It doesn't appear to be different for 4x4 b/c it usually says which drive it's for if it is different.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/arm-assy-front-suspension-9344887-1

Reactions: 103

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the guidance!