Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
My youngest was assimilated this week. Her grandfather got her an iPhone, so I've now got an extra Android. I'll keep it around as a spare in case I wash mine or something, but in the meantime I figured I could use it in the truck.

I'll probably store some music on it, the electronic service manual parts and Ranger related files on there as well as a few other odds and ends. But I figured it's main function will be OBDII monitoring.

What Android apps are you guys using? Seem like TorquePro is the most popular? I'm a cheapskate and don't normally pay for apps, is it worth the $5 bucks? Any other apps to consider?

Also, do I just find an OBDII to USB-C dongle to connect the phone to the truck? Does that also charge the phone if so? Do they make one with a pass through that leaves the factory OBDII port usable/intact? Howabout a Bluetooth connection? That a thing?

Also, what else can I use this extra device for that I'm missing? I'm looking at you Sid, @Msfitoy . If you cut the command center down to one screen what would you use it for?
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Most of the apps are available for Android as well as iPhone now.

Torque Pro is worth the $5.

Get a bluetooth OBD adapter so you don't need the cable to connect.

The Torque Pro app will let you do multiple profiles so that you can use it on all your vehicles.

For music, a decent free player is Black player, but for $6 you can get Poweramp which is a terrific music player.

I no longer have an Android phone but my Jeep has a full Android head unit that runs the apps.

With a 10.1 screen it can display 2 apps at once.

Split screen Gaia/Poweramp FTW :sunglasses:

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Most of the apps are available for Android as well as iPhone now.

Torque Pro is worth the $5.

Get a bluetooth OBD adapter so you don't need the cable to connect.

The Torque Pro app will let you do multiple profiles so that you can use it on all your vehicles.

For music, a decent free player is Black player, but for $6 you can get Poweramp which is a terrific music player.

I no longer have an Android phone but my Jeep has a full Android head unit that runs the apps.

With a 10.1 screen it can display 2 apps at once.

Split screen Gaia/Poweramp FTW :sunglasses:
Awesome! I'll look at that and other Bluetooth adaptors.

I thought I had remembered talk of Bluetooth adaptors when I was acquiring my ForScan setup, but obviously went wired then. Good to see they are available for this situation.

I'll check out those music players. I don't know how much capacity this phone has but I'd like to replace a jump drive full of old music from my youth with ot as well.
Sponsored