FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Hello,

My wife and I will be visiting Texas in late June. We're spending one night in Dallas and two nights in Waco. Have a couple questions.

Our stay will be short in Dallas since we don't get in until late on a Thursday. We plan to go to the Gas Monkey Bar and Grill the night we get in. Any other short things to see/do while were there? Best place to get breakfast the next morning?

Staying in Waco for two nights. My wife wants to see all the Magnolia stuff of course, but anything else to see there or close by on a Friday/Saturday morning? (Saturday evening we'll be at a wedding)

Appreciate any tips/advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Fair Park in Dallas. 1930's preserved art deco art and architecture with aquarium, and multiple museums, Cotton Bowl etc. The Old Mill Inn restaurant may still be open?
How could I forget to mention the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco?

Last edited:

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Unless you're going to a show at Gas Monkey it's really not worth it. Just a typical loud and over crowded restaurant. Legacy West in northern Plano is fun spot since there's multiple restaurants and big outdoor dining hall venue. Across the highway from that is another area called The Boardwalk at Granite Park which again has some cool places to hang out and people watch.

If you want to stay closer to downtown, then Deep Ellum is the current hot spot w/ some good bars (stay away from Bottled Blonde unless you like being in a dude packed sardine can). Bishop Arts/Trinity Grove is another cool area across the Trinity River too.

Waco, aside from the Magnolia stuff I can't help you much. Usually it's a pass through city on the way to Austin for me. Stopping at Slovacek's in West is a must for their pastries though. Collin Street Bakery is a good breakfast spot in Waco. As far as the Texas Ranger Museum... unless you're into that sort of stuff I'd skip it.

62champ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 FX4/'62 7E7/'62 7E5/16G6-K5
Waco also has the Dr. Pepper museum - if you are interested in that kind of stuff. Transportation related, stop and look at the suspension bridge across the Brazos river. Finished in 1870, used Roebling (Brooklyn Bridge fame) steel cables and 3 million bricks to create one of Texas oldest engineering marvels. And bring sunscreen.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Dallas: 6th Floor Museum - Where JFK was "allegedly" assassinated from.
Dallas: 6 Flags - Where my wallet was assassinated.

Ft. Worth is close to Dallas and I like it better. It's a lot less cosmopolitan and a little more western. Or it was two decades ago. I like the stockyards and art museums they have there.

Waco is not much anymore. They use to have a great cafe on the town traffic circle but that's gone now. Sad to say Magnolia is the best part of town.

Don't be afraid to stray away from the big towns and get out to the country on the Farm to Market roads. That's where Texas keeps its cool stuff. The cities are almost like a Chain Store Mecca. No history left.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Twisted Root Burger Co in Deep Ellum is one of the best burgers I've ever had in my life. Don't bother with the one in the airport though, not nearly as good.

I'm an airplane nerd so if I'm there on a solo trip I usually stop at the DFW Founders' Plaza to do some spotting. It may or may not be a wife-friendly place lol

OP
OP
FordSpeed

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I've got a few things to look into now.
Sponsored