What should I pay?

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
2021 XLT FX4 with black appearance package on my dealers lot.

Has a tow hitch but unsure of any other options based on the listing.

Roughly what should I expect to pay for a truck like this? It’s priced below MSRP of course but I am not sure if their internet price is going to be an attempt at bait-and-switch.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The window sticker should be available on the dealers site. I would check out the options it has and see what they discounted it against the MSRP price. There aren't a lot of great deals going on right now or even good financing like 0% but rates are still low. There's also this thread here which should give you an idea of what others have paid.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...e-pricing-base-vehicle-packages-options.9314/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-is-everyone-paying-for-their-5th-gen-ranger.1603/

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Pay whatever you can wheedle them down to. You will enjoy your Ranger so much that in 6 months you wont care. As long as the creek dont rise and the Dems dont out law all gas.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics

Roughly what should I expect to pay for a truck like this? It’s priced below MSRP of course but I am not sure if their internet price is going to be an attempt at bait-and-switch.
About 10% below msrp is what I could get after grinding on 4 dealers in norcal and nevada in February 2021.

Hope you can get a little more discount and a great deal!

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
About 10% below msrp is what I could get after grinding on 4 dealers in norcal and nevada in February 2021.

they are actually advertising lower than that but it’s tied to financing through Ford at a high interest rate. I may take the deal and re-fi through my credit union after 90 days. I should be able to get around 2% right now and I was told Ford’s standard rate is “5.9% to double digits.”

Edited to add... has anyone encountered this pricing scheme before where a sales price is tied to a financing offer? This is only my third new vehicle but I’ve not encountered this before.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
they are actually advertising lower than that but it’s tied to financing through Ford at a high interest rate. I may take the deal and re-fi through my credit union after 90 days. I should be able to get around 2% right now and I was told Ford’s standard rate is “5.9% to double digits.”

Edited to add... has anyone encountered this pricing scheme before where a sales price is tied to a financing offer? This is only my third new vehicle but I’ve not encountered this before.
Yes, they give you a $1,750 discount if you use their financing. Still, if you do the math a credit Union rates have you come out ahead in the end. I almost did what you said but if I remember correctly there is a clause in the contract that makes this difficult. Where you will get the best deals now is 2020 models that haven’t been sold. They will most likely be close to dealer cost to move them

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they give you a $1,750 discount if you use their financing. Still, if you do the math a credit Union rates have you come out ahead in the end. I almost did what you said but if I remember correctly there is a clause in the contract that makes this difficult. Where you will get the best deals now is 2020 models that haven’t been sold. They will most likely be close to dealer cost to move them
From my own experience and reading discussions on the Forum, there is really no significant difference between 2020 and 2021 Rangers (or 2019, my year, for that matter), and so if you can find a "new" 2020, go for it!

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Thanks for the tip. I will check the lot and make sure there are no 2020s hanging out that I can beat them up on. They aren’t showing any online but who knows.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I found about the same on my 2020 Lariat FX-4 in December. Discounts might be deeper on lower trims.

What kind of term?

In December Ford Credit was offering 0%-60 months

1.9%-72 months

2.9%-84 months

That seems ridiculously high.

Dealerships get a kickback from financing so it can happen.

What I saw with my Ranger and FiST was the opposite.

Incentive discounts OR incentive rate. But not both.

Perhaps the dealership is offering you Ford's incentive discounts with financing through somebody other than Ford Credit whom they get a kickback from?

A quick look @ Ford's site shows 2.9% for 60 months on 2020s and 3.9% for 60 months on 2021s through Ford Credit.

I could see 84 months, which I wouldn't recommend, getting up to 5.9%. But not double digits.

Something seems fishy.

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I found about the same on my 2020 Lariat FX-4 in December. Discounts might be deeper on lower trims.

What kind of term?

In December Ford Credit was offering 0%-60 months

1.9%-72 months

2.9%-84 months

That seems ridiculously high.

Dealerships get a kickback from financing so it can happen.

What I saw with my Ranger and FiST was the opposite.

Incentive discounts OR incentive rate. But not both.

Perhaps the dealership is offering you Ford's incentive discounts with financing through somebody other than Ford Credit whom they get a kickback from?

A quick look @ Ford's site shows 2.9% for 60 months on 2020s and 3.9% for 60 months on 2021s through Ford Credit.

I could see 84 months, which I wouldn't recommend, getting up to 5.9%. But not double digits.

Something seems fishy.
can you show me where you’re seeing that?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
can you show me where you’re seeing that?
https://shop.ford.com/showroom/?lin...OEg0k7zJyX8gTW5Qiu7jAY5Kg8D0jgaAnq4EALw_wcB#/

It's zip code dependant so I searched under mine, yours may be different.

Ford only lists 60 month terms to my knowledge. The only place I can ever find the longer term rates associated are @ the dealerships.

In my opinion the only dealer sourced financing ever worthwhile is the manufacturer's financing arm, Ford Credit, GMAC, Subaru of America, etc. If they're trying to push you elsewhere you can generally find better on your own.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer

Crew cab, extended cab? 4x4? The cheapest xlt 4x4 crew cab I found on Autotrader was $30k, $10k off MSRP. Probably not a legit price, but it gives you a starting point. I'd say you should pay at least $5k under MSRP, maybe lower if you try.

I did find a new 2019 Lariat for sale in NH yesterday, I forget where I saw it. Everyone knows the '19s are the best year to get.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
So glad I got the COVID special of 0% for 84 months. Yikes.
The only time 84 months would make sense.

I was happy I squeaked under the wire with 0 @ 60 in December. Never argue with "free" money.

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Last month I bought a new 2020 Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4 with just about every option. Msrp was close to $46 and my total out the door price $38,500. Our taxes and dealer fees, etc are pretty cheap and there were no dealer add ons but I felt this was a pretty good deal. I wanted a blue one but couldn’t find one optioned like this so I settled for black and chrome. Love the color but hate to keep it clean.
Sponsored