Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I had an experience today on my Diesel Pusher RV before which I have never experienced.. I check the RV frequently for electrical health via several monitors and there have always been Green Lights for normal system functionality. So decided to pull it out and give it a sponge bath today. It would not start...It has two Group 31S batteries. So I accessed the engine start batteries to see what might be going on with these batteries... As far as I could tell, things were just fine..

Here is a picture of one of the batteries as I removed both in my investigation of a no start condition of the CAT Diesel...

Any folks see where the problem might be??????

Battery.jpg

Baffled in Green Valley (not!),
Phil
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Wow. Is that a cutaway battery? :shock:
Looks like you'll be putting the Ranger to use getting a couple new batteries.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Is that a cutaway battery? :shock:
Looks like you'll be putting the Ranger to use getting a couple new batteries.
Hi KJ,

Yep...Ranger chased to O'Riley AutoParts as they had 4 31S in stock...$400... Not too bad to install except for the weigh lifting into the compartment and cleaning up the mess from the shorted battery ....

Fired up the coach and it purred just fine...all is well again....so now I do not trust the battery health monitors at all. I have never had a battery do this before... Gotta be an internal short and thank goodness it did not cause a fire.... I think I will replace these new batteries in short order next year with good quality AGM batteries.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did the battery compartment door have a damper installed?!
HI Sammy,

This is the one door on the coach that does not have gas struts... ... Too small a compartment...In fact so tight fit that my hands almost were too big to get to the hold down system..

Best,
Phil

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
HI Sammy,

This is the one door on the coach that does not have gas struts... ... Too small a compartment...In fact so tight fit that my hands almost were too big to get to the hold down system..

Best,
Phil
Guess we need Dave to do some research into finding the correct damper to remedy this dire situation!

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I had an experience today on my Diesel Pusher RV before which I have never experienced.. I check the RV frequently for electrical health via several monitors and there have always been Green Lights for normal system functionality. So decided to pull it out and give it a sponge bath today. It would not start...It has two Group 31S batteries. So I accessed the engine start batteries to see what might be going on with these batteries... As far as I could tell, things were just fine..

Here is a picture of one of the batteries as I removed both in my investigation of a no start condition of the CAT Diesel...

Battery.jpg

Phil
Nothing a little Red Green duct tape won't fix. :like:

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi Folks,

Battery.jpg

Phil

Overcharging

https://itstillruns.com/happens-overcharge-car-battery-5137116.html

Overcharging a Car Battery
While a few variables may be involved with overcharging a car battery, the results are simple to check. A battery can quite simply die from being overcharged. This is the safest side-effect, but not the only thing that can happen. An overcharged battery will boil the sulfuric acid and distilled water mix. The casing of the battery can become hot to the touch, and begin to melt or swell. Flammable hydrogen can build up inside the sealed cells of the battery, causing swelling of the casing under pressure and seepage through small vents. Once the hydrogen is introduced to oxygen, it becomes a sitting time bomb. A small electrical spark can ignite the gas and cause the battery to explode, sending plastic and lead shrapnel flying around, in addition to a caustic sulfuric acid spray. Obviously, this is the most dangerous side-effect of an overcharged battery.