What is killing my key fob battery????

PaddlePAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Accidentally left my fob in my pocket when I washed my pants. Took the fob apart to let it dry out. Once it was dry, I installed a new battery and re-assembled it.

Within 24 hours I get a warning that the battery is low.

What the heck is killing my battery???
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Take it apart, remove the battery, and clean with isopropyl alcohol. Get in there good with a q-tip. The different components are so close together, the smallest amount of water could make a contact. Look for the green fuzz - corrosion. Sometimes white as well.

You may need to pull the battery and relegate this one to the spare key drawer.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Sounds like something's shorted internally. That sucks. Hope you have a second one.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Accidentally left my fob in my pocket when I washed my pants. Took the fob apart to let it dry out. Once it was dry, I installed a new battery and re-assembled it.

Wear looser clothes with bigger pockets?

best,
Phil

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Will putting the open FOB in a sealed bag of rice work?

P1040500.jpeg

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do all of the above.
Take battery out, rinse with alcohol, dry it, use compressed air if available. Put it with rice in a warm place overnight and try a different battery.
New battery doesn't always mean good either.
You forgot to add to all that to change the tailgate damper! When all else fails, always change the tailgate damper!
OK on a serious note. Since it had the battery in there you probably fried the motherboard in there.
I did that to my MacBook about nine years ago. Spilled a glass of tea on it. I immediately turned it upside down and while it was upside down with the keyboard facing down that is.
I did a hard power down on it. I left it like that for several weeks in our air-conditioned condo.
It took about six months before weird stuff started happening. When I took it into Apple repair they told me that when I spilled my tea on it, it got into the logic board, which is the Mac equivalent of a motherboard oh and hearing my story of how I turn it upside down, they told me I couldn't of done that fast enough.
It was just weird stuff that would happen here and there. So, long story short ,the moral of the story is, you probably Fried the little mini motherboard o,r that little mother of a motherboard because you already dried the thing out and replaced the battery. Now it could be draining the battery real fast, bout I doubt it. A voltmeter would tell you if that battery was low. But I suspect it's an error and there's nothing wrong with the battery. Either way, hard lesson learned. Good luck and I hope you get it working.

You forgot to add to all that to change the tailgate damper! When all else fails, always change the tailgate damper!
OK on a serious note. Since it had the battery in there you probably fried the motherboard in there.
I did that to my MacBook about nine years ago. Spilled a glass of tea on it. I immediately turned it upside down and while it was upside down with the keyboard facing down that is.
I did a hard power down on it. I left it like that for several weeks in our air-conditioned condo.
It took about six months before weird stuff started happening. When I took it into Apple repair they told me that when I spilled my tea on it, it got into the logic board, which is the Mac equivalent of a motherboard oh and hearing my story of how I turn it upside down, they told me I couldn't of done that fast enough.
It was just weird stuff that would happen here and there. So, long story short ,the moral of the story is, you probably Fried the little mini motherboard o,r that little mother of a motherboard because you already dried the thing out and replaced the battery. Now it could be draining the battery real fast, bout I doubt it. A voltmeter would tell you if that battery was low. But I suspect it's an error and there's nothing wrong with the battery. Either way, hard lesson learned. Good luck and I hope you get it working.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Good luck and I hope you get it working.
Thankfully, I had a better experience with my current 8yo Macbook Pro. Granddaughter sitting next to me placed her drink far enough away, or so we thought. Drink managed to get knocked over, with a fair amount still able to land on the keyboard. Like you, I immediately inverted the laptop, powered it off and unplugged the power supply.

Left MBP inverted overnight and took a vacuum cleaner hose to it the next day. Repeated this cycle one more time until I booted it up - video but no audio. Audio came back the following day - happened about 5 years ago - still using it. Have been told not to upgrade past Catalina so that's where I'm at. 3rd Apple laptop in 21 years. 6th Apple Computer since 1993.

apple-macbook-pro-15.4-retina-slika-124409377.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity