What is attached to the inside Windshield?

Voltune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 XLT 4x4 Supercab (302A)
New Ranger XLT owner here. Not sure if this the correct section in the forum for this question regarding the windshield.

On the inside of the front windshield at the top, there is a huge black piece of plastic attached. The rear view mirror is attached to it. It looks like a vent, but I don’t think it is. What is this? I can’t find anything on it in the manual.

32914716-0347-46AB-B69A-A5C91EF11F64.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Voltune

Voltune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 XLT 4x4 Supercab (302A)
Thank you! I guess this makes it a bit more difficult if you ever have to replace the windshield and not damage the Co-Pilot360. Can it be detached and re-attached to a new window?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I guess this makes it a bit more difficult if you ever have to replace the windshield and not damage the Co-Pilot360. Can it be detached and re-attached to a new window?
Hope to never know

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Good question.

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
When I got my pikepass sticker for the truck they had me position it at the upper corner of the windshield on the passenger side. They usually have you put it dead center under the rear view mirror but she said that the electronics in there messes with the sticker.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
No need to worry on the windshield replacement. I had to get a new windshield on my Fusion which has similar sensors and camera in the same place. All went well and even the rain sense wipers work fine after that.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
No need to worry on the windshield replacement. I had to get a new windshield on my Fusion which has similar sensors and camera in the same place. All went well and even the rain sense wipers work fine after that.
I believe you need to have the camera/sensors re-calibrated after getting the windshield replaced, though, correct? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
When I got my pikepass sticker for the truck they had me position it at the upper corner of the windshield on the passenger side. They usually have you put it dead center under the rear view mirror but she said that the electronics in there messes with the sticker.
That's good to know because I put my Sunpass device (Florida) right under it.

Everything seems to be working correctly but now I wonder.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
@Phil Schilke,

Do you have any information on the proper placement of the prepaid toll devices in reference to the sensor? My "Sunpass" device is attached by small suction cups and is about 1" high by 4" wide.

As I stated in my previous post, I have mine directly in front up against this sensor and all the safety features seem to be working fine ie. adaptive cruise, collision warning and rain sensing wipers.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Phil Schilke,

Do you have any information on the proper placement of the prepaid toll devices in reference to the sensor? My "Sunpass" device is attached by small suction cups and is about 1" high by 4" wide.

As I stated in my previous post, I have mine directly in front up against this sensor and all the safety features seem to be working fine ie. adaptive cruise, collision warning and rain sensing wipers.
Hi,

Can't really help on this one... I wonder if these types of passes were even considered during development of the Co-pilot 360?

Sort of a related back story....We had three cooling packages on the F-series back in the early 70's. Standard Cool, Extra Cool and Super Cool. Take rate on super cool was low volume and it was decided to delete it from the F-Series. All of a sudden we started getting overheating complaints from owners of the new trucks down in the deep south and some other places. What we found is that the trucks with super cool were being used as stationary power sources for irrigation pumps. Jack up the rear. Take a tire off and put a belt drum to an irrigation pump, set the hand throttle they installed, start the truck and let it run all day in the hot, humid conditions. Take away is that we did not really know our customers very well. The truck usage in this manner was not on our radar screen at all...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Hi,

Can't really help on this one... I wonder if these types of passes were even considered during development of the Co-pilot 360?

Sort of a related back story....We had three cooling packages on the F-series back in the early 70's. Standard Cool, Extra Cool and Super Cool. Take rate on super cool was low volume and it was decided to delete it from the F-Series. All of a sudden we started getting overheating complaints from owners of the new trucks down in the deep south and some other places. What we found is that the trucks with super cool were being used as stationary power sources for irrigation pumps. Jack up the rear. Take a tire off and put a belt drum to an irrigation pump, set the hand throttle they installed, start the truck and let it run all day in the hot, humid conditions. Take away is that we did not really know our customers very well. The truck usage in this manner was not on our radar screen at all...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hillbilly engineering at it's best

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
I have a Tacoma, but it has the same style windshield vHad to have it replaced, it was expensive and they said it would possibly have to be taken to A dealership to have it calibrated. Luckily it didn’t, worked fine after installation.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tacoma, but it has the same style windshield vHad to have it replaced, it was expensive and they said it would possibly have to be taken to A dealership to have it calibrated. Luckily it didn’t, worked fine after installation.
I had the same thing on my Outback. The Eyesight seemed to work fine after the windshield was replaced so I called the dealer - if it wasn't calibrated after the windshield was replaced, they couldn't guarantee the Eyesight would function properly...I had it recalibrated (to the tune of $300+:curse:) because I didn't want to risk a fight with Subaru if there were any "issue" in the future.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Any reputable glass replacement shop should be able to recalibrate sensors. After they replace your windshield they will park in front of a large screen with an array of dots and lines in various locations. They hook up shop tablet to vehicle diagnostics port and sensors/cameras calibrate off screen of know points in front of vehicle
Sponsored