• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What happens after 3 years of included navigation?

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
So just wondering, many of you will know this right off, what is the effect of the 3 years of navigation? Says it comes with: "Connected Built-in Navigation (3 years included)" Does that mean that NAV totally quits / won't work at the end of 3 years? Or does it just mean that they stop updating the maps? Something in between? My current vehicle's nav is OLD SCHOOL - it has a DVD drive with the maps. Just wondering how this works with Ford / newer cars? I know it says "after which purchase is required." I was just wondering what that means?

Found this in an F-150 forum, don't know if it is the same for Ranger?

"As I looked through the new order guide as well as the online build and price it appears navigation has gone exclusively to a subscription based service. Every '24 F-150 trim level now comes standard with a 12 inch screen and connected navigation with a one year trial included.

Unlike the 21-23's which had the option to purchase built in navigation or include it with a package that is not the case for the 24's. You have no choice anymore, you only get connected as standard equipment with a one year trial and after that it is only subscription based. I have this setup with my '22 and after my 90 day trial I had to pay $80 per year to have Ford navigation capability or it reverts to just a moving map. At this point you can not enter any destination waypoint and get guidance. The plus to this is my truck saved $800 by not having built in nav and with the subscription your maps are updated automatically."
Sponsored

Last edited:

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I would assume a subscription based fee after the 3 years, just my thought

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Engineer
All mfg have realized there is a lot money to made in subscription services. My BMW has a bundled subscription (after the free period ends) that includes map updates, integrated google type search, remote data (phone app data and control), etc. for $120/year.

Cyrric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor
I agree with jrRaptor.. with Android Auto and Apple Carplay there shouldn't be a real need to use the built in Navigation. I've never had a vehicle with integrated features from the phone, so I can't say exactly how it works.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DMC

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
Yeah, I have used the phone for NAV before and the problem is when you lose signal, you lose the NAV. I am in OH and right near WV. Lots of mountains which means lots of dead zones for phone coverage. My old school SUV has maps on DVD - which can get outdated - but they ALWAYS work. I did search to find an answer for 2024 Ford - see the quote from the F-150 forum - but it wasn't clear to me. I just wondered what would the effect of NOT paying the fee would be. Would I at least still have the maps? Even if no NAV and no updates? That is way better than nothing. Nothing to worry about for 3 1/2 years, just thought I would ask in case anyone knew the answer.
Appreciate the thoughts / responses!

BTW - My Mustang is Apple car play - the Waze, maps etc. work great - until you lose signal. Those of you with good coverage are golden!

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I agree, CarPlay and Waze is my default Nav. The only advantage for me to using the integrated BMW Nav vs Waze is the way the integrated Nav uses the heads up display and the gauge display. Without heads up display on the Raptor negates that. In every other way Waze is better and more up to date.

OP
OP
DMC

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
All mfg have realized there is a lot money to made in subscription services. My BMW has a bundled subscription (after the free period ends) that includes map updates, integrated google type search, remote data (phone app data and control), etc. for $120/year.
Yeah, I have heard about BMW charging a subscription for heated seats... crazy.

Cyrric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor
My old school SUV has maps on DVD - which can get outdated - but they ALWAYS work.
My 2005 Infiniti G35 had the same thing. And they wanted like 200 bucks for the updated DVD. I think the NAV in my Lexus 200NXt is still the original 2016 version that I've never updated. It updates using a micro SD card.

OP
OP
DMC

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
My 2005 Infiniti G35 had the same thing. And they wanted like 200 bucks for the updated DVD. I think the NAV in my Lexus 200NXt is still the original 2016 version that I've never updated. It updates using a micro SD card.
Yup.. My SUV is an Acura. I did update the DVD a couple years back - $149. Was easy to swap out. I have only updated once... roads don't change THAT MUCH... LOL

Sponsored

cboggs

First Name
Curtiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger
So just wondering, many of you will know this right off, what is the effect of the 3 years of navigation? Says it comes with: "Connected Built-in Navigation (3 years included)" Does that mean that NAV totally quits / won't work at the end of 3 years? Or does it just mean that they stop updating the maps? Something in between? My current vehicle's nav is OLD SCHOOL - it has a DVD drive with the maps. Just wondering how this works with Ford / newer cars? I know it says "after which purchase is required." I was just wondering what that means?

Found this in an F-150 forum, don't know if it is the same for Ranger?

"As I looked through the new order guide as well as the online build and price it appears navigation has gone exclusively to a subscription based service. Every '24 F-150 trim level now comes standard with a 12 inch screen and connected navigation with a one year trial included.

Unlike the 21-23's which had the option to purchase built in navigation or include it with a package that is not the case for the 24's. You have no choice anymore, you only get connected as standard equipment with a one year trial and after that it is only subscription based. I have this setup with my '22 and after my 90 day trial I had to pay $80 per year to have Ford navigation capability or it reverts to just a moving map. At this point you can not enter any destination waypoint and get guidance. The plus to this is my truck saved $800 by not having built in nav and with the subscription your maps are updated automatically."
my window sticker just says “navigation” and not “3 years free” etc. my salesperson, who is a friend said it looked like I would have it included for life after I specifically asked if it was only for 3 years.

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I have heard about BMW charging a subscription for heated seats... crazy.
Almost every function is now software controlled. So even Ford could decide to charge to enable them. BMW does try and push the boundaries on that kind of stuff. They tried to charge an annual fee for CarPlay initially in 2019 but they backtracked after a few month of owner complaints.

Cyrric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor
I remember when BMW was charging a subscription fee for heated seats!

OP
OP
DMC

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
my window sticker just says “navigation” and not “3 years free” etc. my salesperson, who is a friend said it looked like I would have it included for life after I specifically asked if it was only for 3 years.
Wow! Let's hope so! I was going off of the website - tracker said.
Ford Ranger What happens after 3 years of included navigation? 1711122519101-5v

OP
OP
DMC

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
Almost every function is now software controlled. So even Ford could decide to charge to enable them. BMW does try and push the boundaries on that kind of stuff. They tried to charge an annual fee for CarPlay initially in 2019 but they backtracked after a few month of owner complaints.
Oh yeah, did you see where Ford got a patent for repossession where they can start shutting off features one by one or have the car drive itself back to the lot if it needs repossessed? NUTS!

FoMoCo Repo: Ford Patents System for Self-Repossessing Vehicles (caranddriver.com)
Sponsored