First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I seem to remember Ford was offering some pretty deep discounts last month. Several thousand off. Now I'm seeing a $1,000 rebate and that's all. What gives?
Sponsored

Steve131

First Name
Steve Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier, Escape
I seem to remember Ford was offering some pretty deep discounts last month. Several thousand off. Now I'm seeing a $1,000 rebate and that's all. What gives?
No inventory out there, so there is no reason for them to rebate them heavily right now. I doubt we see big rebates on them for a while. There is a huge new vehicle shortage at the moment and until that gap fills back in lower discounts will be the norm. Supply and demand. The shortage stems from their being low inventory on Rangers even before Covid, then the factories shut down. There have not been any new Ranger shipments for months.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Like Steve said, low inventory has removed the incentive to discount. According to their website, my local dealership has less than half as many Rangers as when I bought mine in January.

EDIT: Man, you aren't kidding about the lack of incentives. The cheapest available Ranger at the local dealership is a 2019 with a nearly identical MSRP to mine, but currently listed (with all incentives, including the "select inventory" rebate) at ~$3k more than what I paid.

Last edited:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Like Steve said, low inventory has removed the incentive to discount. Accordind to their website, my local dealership has less than half as many Rangers as when I bought mine in January.
At this point, I'm happy to have locked in to my $500 rebate when I ordered my truck. By the time its delivered, that may be all there is. Dealership lots here are 3/4 empty. Slim pickings, indeed.

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Like Steve said, low inventory has removed the incentive to discount. According to their website, my local dealership has less than half as many Rangers as when I bought mine in January.

EDIT: Man, you aren't kidding about the lack of incentives. The cheapest available Ranger at the local dealership is a 2019 with a nearly identical MSRP to mine, but currently listed (with all incentives, including the "select inventory" rebate) at ~$3k more than what I paid.
I could be wrong about what was available last month on the Ranger. I was also looking at F-150s, which had deep discounts in March and April. In fact right now the 2020 F-150 is still at $4,750 off.

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
No inventory out there, so there is no reason for them to rebate them heavily right now. I doubt we see big rebates on them for a while. There is a huge new vehicle shortage at the moment and until that gap fills back in lower discounts will be the norm. Supply and demand. The shortage stems from their being low inventory on Rangers even before Covid, then the factories shut down. There have not been any new Ranger shipments for months.
It is an interesting economical issue. One one hand you have a massive hit to the economy, which one would assume would impact new vehicle sales. On the other, factories were shut down too, reducing inventory. Both supply and demand are to be low, but we don't seem to be benefitting from price reductions.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
they reported car sales were up 18%. I wouldn't have bought my ranger when I did if there wasn't a pretty big rebate on the '19's in Dec. A lady I work with was looking for a smaller truck. She liked Toyota's an her dad was a Ford retiree so she got that discount. She prefers buying 3 year old cars an saving that big new car hit but couldn't find anything that she didn't consider overpriced. She finally spent more than she wanted on a '19 Tocoma. Production just started back up so rebates may not be back until the end of the model year.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Yeah, I'm very grateful that I bought my XLT back in December with a MSRP of $33K. It had almost $8,000 in rebates and incentives. Got it for $21,500 and could not be happier! That was with my 22 year old F-150 trade in also. My son will be looking to get a Ranger at the end of this year, but I'm afraid that he won't get quite as good of a deal...

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I feel like a lot of the rebates disappeared with the 0% financing offers. I see they are still out there. My personal experience was I didnā€™t get all of the rebates but still got a good price and the 0% saved me a fair amount as well. I was happy with the overall savings so I did the deal.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I just took delivery in MD. of my special order 2020 Lariat. $1000 cash back or 0% for 60 months was all they offered. I took the 0%

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Kinda glad I bought when I did. $8k in rebates and 0% together. I had a hard suspicion when I saw the discounts being offered that it would drum up sales, but with factories being shut, there'd be a lag in restocking and inventory would be low over the summer.

Figured I'd get while the getting was good. Maybe not quite as good as Dec, I suppose, but I wasn't ready to buy then.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I jumped on purchasing mine the last week of May because I feared the rebates and financing would end with a shortage coming. Sales ended up being higher than expected during the Covid crises so it's a supply and demand issue right now. Many dealers have limited or no supply of Rangers. I was lucky enough to find an 2019 XLT FX4 with all the options I wanted and scored it at $400 under invoice plus took advantage of the 0% interest for 72 months.

blueridge

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I don't think inventory is the reason. I have been tracking 20 Ford Transits in my area, leftover 2019s, hoping for a price drop due to poor sales.

4 weeks ago ford dropped almost all of their rebates on them, then two weeks ago all 20 of them sold in the same week.

Stimulus checks for businesses arrived and business owners bought all of them that week. That's what two salesmen at different dealerships told me.

I suspect Ford knew when the stimulus checks were coming and knew trucks and vans would be bought with free stimulus money, so they reduced/removed incentives.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
There's still great savings advertised from $3000 to $7000 on misc 2019 and 2020 Rangers where I ordered mine. Koons Baltimore.

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Well the rebates aren't there, but doing a nationwide search on Autotrader I'm seeing deep price cuts on the '19s. Lots of Lariat FX4 w/ 501a package selling for anywhere from $33k-37k. Gotta clear out those two year old trucks now for the 21's to arrive.
Sponsored