Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
True North looked so good after the clay bar and a coat of Meguiar’s Detail Spray, it got me thinking about how great it would look with a fresh coat of paint. I KNOW, RIGHT!?

Brandon, @dondonbabyraptor , you should really pay attention here.

So, I did just that…

9601F8BC-95D7-4951-BAC9-2D516B3C29F7.jpeg

Dave @AzScorpion turned me on to this, so I knew it was a tried and true method. First, you need a few supplies. Cheap brush, paint tray, and a wiz roller - tray liner and drop cloth are optional but Dave recommends them for some reason. So, yeah, I used them too.

Use the brush for the initial application - back and forth, up and down criss-cross, it doesn’t matter at this point. Do the entire truck at once, none of this one or two panels at a time crap - it’s a time suck, and you’ll want to get out and show off your handiwork before dark.

For a showroom like finish (this is the most important step), apply the second coat with the wiz roller - don’t be afraid to use LOTS of paint and don’t worry about roller overlap marks - they’ll hardly be visible. Use long strokes with the roller from bumper to windshield, windshield to rear brake light, front headlight to taillight - you get the idea.

Most importantly, don’t use automotive paint - it’s a complete rip-off. Dave swears by Behr Direct to Metal Alkyd, so that’s what I used. Be sure to use DTM Primer as well. Maybe $80 all-in for all the supplies and paint. PPG can suck it.

2BDD1D61-D441-4E03-B6A4-6CF880FF3637.jpeg

I’ll post pics later, it’s still a bit tacky to the touch.

Good luck Brandon!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
True North looked so good after the clay bar and a coat of Meguiar’s Detail Spray, it got me thinking about how great it would look with a fresh coat of paint. I KNOW, RIGHT!?

So, I did just that…

Dave @AzScorpion turned me on to this, so I knew it was a tried and true method. First, you need a few supplies. Cheap brush, paint tray, and a wiz roller - tray liner and drop cloth are optional but Dave recommends them for some reason. So, yeah, I used them too.

Use the brush for the initial application - back and forth, up and down criss-cross, it doesn’t matter at this point. Do the entire truck at once, none of this one or two panels at a time crap - it’s a time suck, and you’ll want to get out and show off your handiwork before dark.

For a showroom like finish (this is the most important step), apply the second coat with the wiz roller - don’t be afraid to use LOTS of paint and don’t worry about roller overlap marks - they’ll hardly be visible. Use long strokes with the roller from bumper to windshield, windshield to rear brake light, front headlight to taillight - you get the idea.

Most importantly, don’t use automotive paint - it’s a complete rip-off. Dave swears by Behr Direct to Metal Alkyd, so that’s what I used. Be sure to use DTM Primer as well. Maybe $80 all-in for all the supplies and paint. PPG can suck it.

Good luck Brandon!
Here's Duke practicing on his wife's car. Poor guy still doesn't know which color he's using. :shock:

painting-car-with-house-paint.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

So, I did just that…

Good luck Brandon!
Hahaha. Oh dear. Duke, you almost had me with this very detailed write up and very convincing pictures. ? the noob in me thought “hmm Duke does know what he’s doing with everything” then I caught on with the tone and constant mention of Dave :inspect: but $80 is steep for supplies, I would of went with 1 light coat of plasti dip. Mayyybe two cans if I want a darker matte vinyl wrap finish looked to it. Just have to hold down the nozzle and walk around the car a few times. $12 and 500 steps later on my Fitbit and the car would be top notch matte black :sunglasses:

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
New kicks!

2CD75CFC-B563-4AA6-90A8-5F532BD71F73.jpeg
I can’t resist…. Tire size? And did you have to remove anything to make them fit? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on bigger rubber for mine, just trying to get all the info I can! Lol.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Here's Duke practicing on his wife's car. Poor guy still doesn't know which color he's using. :shock:

painting-car-with-house-paint.jpg
What the….did you hack my Ring camera?

Carbonized Cactus Pepper Blue - one of my favourites!

It seems I’m geating more paint on my clothes than I am on the car.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I can’t resist…. Tire size? And did you have to remove anything to make them fit? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on bigger rubber for mine, just trying to get all the info I can! Lol.
Haha, Wally, my CB handle back in the day was "Silver Streak", breaker breaker...

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
YBeaFSZXLwKynJNq4pslEN8w=w2038-h1530-no?authuser=0.jpg
qvMTCWlAfg4fpNi9svIRK14A=w2038-h1530-no?authuser=0.jpg

I installed my Built Right Industries bed side racks. They are solid. More mounts than I thought, which is good. I didn't have instructions, so it took an hour including looking up the instructions.

The only issue I have is that I don't have mid tie downs and Built Right didn't supply any bolts. The racks rattle like a mo' fo' when I close the doors. My next step is to research the size of those bolts and make a HD run.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
YBeaFSZXLwKynJNq4pslEN8w=w2038-h1530-no?authuser=0.jpg
qvMTCWlAfg4fpNi9svIRK14A=w2038-h1530-no?authuser=0.jpg

I installed my Built Right Industries bed side racks. They are solid. More mounts than I thought, which is good. I didn't have instructions, so it took an hour including looking up the instructions.

The only issue I have is that I don't have mid tie downs and Built Right didn't supply any bolts. The racks rattle like a mo' fo' when I close the doors. My next step is to research the size of those bolts and make a HD run.
The size of tie down threads are M8 x 1.25 metric. It's in the first post below.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/threaded-holes-in-bed.14242/#post-283493

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Got the tow hooks in, way more aero, should be good for another 5hp, along with the damper and tray insert I should be pushing 20hp…..I know, I know the license plate is beat to crap, replacements have been ordered…lol
BE6DCBB7-A75E-4BE2-B26A-720647A5E2F9.jpeg

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Well I've been eyeing ADD's Lite side steps/rock rails for a minute and noticed that on ADD's website they don't exist anymore about two days ago. Asked my friend who is a distributor and supposedly ADD discontinued them. Said friend also told they had one pair in the country in a warehouse about 30 min from me so somehow these showed up today :LOL:

IMG_0944[1].JPG

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
No problem. Just a 265/75/17 on a 2.5" level.