What did you do to your Ranger today?

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Towed this 1986 hi lo home for my buddy. About a hour away. In south eastern Ohio. 25b model. Loaded 2 batteries, 2 full propane tanks and extra in side. Truck didn't miss a beat on hills. Self installed ford brake controller operated flawlessly. Actually pulled way better then my Geo pro 14fk. My neighbor was impressed. I said that's why we own, Two for Ford rangers. Both 19's. In picture, look to be not level, but I assure you. On road, almost level.

received_377930176609739.jpeg
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Towed this 1986 hi lo home for my buddy. About a hour away. In south eastern Ohio. 25b model. Loaded 2 batteries, 2 full propane tanks and extra in side. Truck didn't miss a beat on hills. Self installed ford brake controller operated flawlessly. Actually pulled way better then my Geo pro 14fk. My neighbor was impressed. I said that's why we own, Two for Ford rangers. Both 19's. In picture, look to be not level, but I assure you. On road, almost level.

received_377930176609739.jpeg
I have often thought if I were to own a travel trailer, I'd want to start with a Hi-Lo. Nice to see how it looks behind a Ranger.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Does this have a Ford bedliner in it? If so was it hard to install the Extender because of this? Anything special you have to do?

Thx
I have the same setup. No issues besides the mounting holes were behind the bedliner. I pulled the bedliner away from the side and used a drill bit to slide underneath to the center of the hole (approximately) then transferred that to the outside of the bedliner. I then used an oversized drill to drill out the plastic to reveal the tapped hole inserts in the Rangers bed.
My biggest issue was not having a poprivet gun....but that just gave me an excuse to buy a new tool. ?
Twenty minute install not counting the trip to Lowes.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, this is going to sound like a weird thing for my Ranger, but...

...I got this today from Facebook Marketplace for $Free.99!
2021-04-14 13.53.21.jpg

2021-04-14 13.53.31.jpg

It was free, and it works! I'm going to clean it up, take some stuff off of it, hammer some of it back into the shape of an AC, and use it for camping! ? The idea is, my fat ass can't sleep when it's hot. I'm going to make a vent and return duct to my roof top tent so I can actually sleep in the summer when I'm out in the truck. The last time I "camped" was my last pre-covid BBQ competition and I was in my old Ford Explorer, and I had to run the truck with the AC full blast in order to get some Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs! So what you see above will end up sitting on my tailgate (with damper/dampener!) cooling what you see below! ?
2021-01-02 11.52.08.jpg

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Changed the fluid in the front and rear diffs, also did the transfer case. Reinstalled my Icon rear shocks. After one had failed before winter and warrantied them, I just kept the stock FX4 rear shocks on until after winter. Man do I miss how these shocks changed the truck. More planted, bumps absorbed better, stiffer feel overall.

Going offeoading with a large group this Saturday so I wanted to make sure I was in tip top shape. Truck is at 27k miles now.
20210414_160928.jpg
20210414_161323.jpg

PSX_20210411_164108.jpg

20210410_175523.jpg

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
I have often thought if I were to own a travel trailer, I'd want to start with a Hi-Lo. Nice to see how it looks behind a Ranger.
Definitely would need tow mirrors for this set up but I was shocked how better it towed then the 14fk but I believe that's the difference in single vs double axle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Changed the oil today on my Ranger.....only 1000 miles on the oil but over a year so the Dash Indicator says change.

I decided to add the oil a quart at a time to "calibrate" the dipstick... It did not go well. Add a quart and the dipstick was coated. Had to let it sit for a few hours and add another quart...same results...so finally got to the 6 quart and was indicating half way on the hash marks.

Started me thinking how easy it is to mis read the Ranger Dipstick....you have to give it a couple hours to drain the oil so that it reads a correct oil level.... Something needs to be improved here. Made me wonder how many folks are reading "fuel" in the oil based on this lousy dipstick indicator.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HotRod

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 2WD
Occupation
Rehabilitation Facilities Manager
Hi Folks,

Changed the oil today on my Ranger.....only 1000 miles on the oil but over a year so the Dash Indicator says change.

I decided to add the oil a quart at a time to "calibrate" the dipstick... It did not go well. Add a quart and the dipstick was coated. Had to let it sit for a few hours and add another quart...same results...so finally got to the 6 quart and was indicating half way on the hash marks.

Started me thinking how easy it is to mis read the Ranger Dipstick....you have to give it a couple hours to drain the oil so that it reads a correct oil level.... Something needs to be improved here. Made me wonder how many folks are reading "fuel" in the oil based on this lousy dipstick indicator.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I've had success starting with an oil free dipstick by wiping it down with a few squirts of break clean before checking then wiping it down with BC again in between dips to make sure im hitting the same mark. After adding my new oil ( some in the filter as well ) and running it for a minute or so it takes roughly 30 minutes to yield consistent dipstick level results. I've done my oil change 3 times now ( the same method ) and each time 5.5 quarts brings it just below the upper end of the hash marks. Thankfully no unusually high gas smell. No more than the wife's escape anyway.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I've had success starting with an oil free dipstick by wiping it down with a few squirts of break clean before checking then wiping it down with BC again in between dips to make sure im hitting the same mark. After adding my new oil ( some in the filter as well ) and running it for a minute or so it takes roughly 30 minutes to yield consistent dipstick level results. I've done my oil change 3 times now ( the same method ) and each time 5.5 quarts brings it just below the upper end of the hash marks. Thankfully no unusually high gas smell. No more than the wife's escape anyway.
If it only takes 5.5 qts to the top of the hash marks, then anyone who fills with 6.2 qts in is already on their way to the top hole ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, this was problematic for me as well. So, pulled the stick and wiped it down. Placed it on top of the engine and let the access tube sit for 5 minutes to allow all the oil to drain back down. Then took a reading after inserting stick. I repeat this scenario with each check. Works like a charm!

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Washed and applied Meguiar's Ceramic Coating today. It was really overcast so the shine doesn't show as well. Purchased my 2019 XLT with the chrome package on 4/30/20 and I already have 14,000 miles. Mods since new: added LED brights, dims, fogs, third stop light, cargo lights, front turn signals, license plate lights. Added Lariat Chrome grill, Amber Raptor style grill lights, 20" light bar (wired to come on with brights), OEM mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, Ford bed rug, Ford passenger and driver side swing boxes, Ford retractable tonneau cover, Wolfhuse 12V bed power point, bed lights under the tonneau cover, console tray, Lariat lighted visor with garage door opener, Terrain Management knob and enabled in Forscan, in Forscan added degree angle screen, Bambi mode, Raptor splash screen and of course the most necessary mod, the Tailgate Dampener. I also added the Traxion tailgate ladder for my bum knee to be able to get in the bed easier. I have vent shades but still have to put them on. Now what else to add????

20201109_225153068_iOS.jpg

20201109_225202173_iOS.jpg

20201109_225210740_iOS.jpg

20201109_225240282_iOS.jpg

20201109_225313721_iOS.jpg

20201109_225332320_iOS.jpg

20201109_225343078_iOS.jpg

20201109_225354136_iOS.jpg

20201109_225454209_iOS.jpg

20201109_225517483_iOS.jpg

20201109_225546645_iOS.jpg

20201109_225754378_iOS.jpg

20201109_225800942_iOS.jpg

20201109_225810035_iOS.jpg
Great Looking Truck!

I had a question about one of your mods . . . the visor with the garage door opener. Did you have to do any electrical work or was the wiring harness already under the headliner for the visor with the light and garage door opener. I'm guessing you purchased the Lariet sun visor w/garage door opener. I have a 2021 Ranger XLT and would like to add the visor with the garage door opener as well.

Thank You in advance for any information you have to share!

Reactions: Doc

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Great Looking Truck!

I had a question about one of your mods . . . the visor with the garage door opener. Did you have to do any electrical work or was the wiring harness already under the headliner for the visor with the light and garage door opener. I'm guessing you purchased the Lariet sun visor w/garage door opener. I have a 2021 Ranger XLT and would like to add the visor with the garage door opener as well.

Thank You in advance for any information you have to share!
I was looking into doing this awhile back. You need a Lariat visor because XLT’s does not have the ‘pocket’ to fit the homelink module into. Next there is no wiring present for this in a XLT so you have to get the wire harness and run it up the A pillar to the visor and wire it in. In the end it became more of a hassle than I wanted to venture into. Other options include getting a homelink module off ebay and installing it up in the overhead where there is power already or replacing the rear view mirror with an aftermarket with auto dimming and homelink. Bonus is you get another compass with that! I was thinking of taking the rear view option and see if I could also get one that had the camera screen option so I can add one to the front of the truck.
Sponsored