What are your thoughts on the Ranger's long-term durability?

Do you believe the 5th Gen Ranger is a durable truck?

• Yes, it is a very durable truck.

• Yes, in comparison with the competition, but not as durable as previous generation trucks.

• It is a moderately durable truck.

• No, not in comparison with the competition.

• No, this truck is not at all durable.

• I am unsure about the durability of this truck.

Results are only viewable after voting.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
I realize that this has been discussed in other posts before, but I don't believe we have a post specifically discussing owner's perspectives/beliefs regarding the truck's long-term durability. Granted, much of this will be speculation, as the only real way to test this is to let time take its toll on our trucks. Still, I would like to share my own thoughts/experiences, and then see where the community falls.

I realize that my own post might prime some responses one way or the other. I want to preface by saying this: I do not dislike this truck, but I do have some concerns about its durability, in particular, the body/paint after almost 2 years of ownership.

I picked up my truck in summer of 2019, and at the time, I was satisfied with my purchase (although not head over heels in love with it, it was a practical vehicle from a manufacturer that I had never personally dealt with before). It took about 4 weeks for me to start to notice some of the issues with the truck, all things that are (to this day) not deal breakers, but make me concerned for the long-term durability of the vehicle (or at least certain components).

The very first thing I noticed was that the paint on these trucks is quite thin and easily scratched. Even with only highway driving, keeping my distance, I've managed to get a few clearcoat scratches on the front and sides of the truck. Granted, most of the significant clearcoat scratches have come from door dings (I'll get back to this next), but even on the front of the hood, there are very evident scratches, and I have no idea how they got there. I hand wash/Spray on wax my truck once per month, I only drive on the highway, and only drive about 400 miles per month. I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the front scratches are coming from.

The second thing I noticed about the truck was the thin body panels used. In fact, when I first noticed these, It was about 2 months after buying it, as I noticed a small door ding caused by my neighbors car (a late 90s or early 2000s, Chevy cavalier). I had always noticed that the doors felt light, but I assumed that didn't translate with the metal quality used on the body. Well, now I think it did. This truck dings so easily, much easier than other vehicles I have owned (I have owned a 1995 Camaro, 2002 Camaro, and my father owned a 1988 Camaro, and 1998 Ranger).

After just lightly knocking on the metal panels on the door of the 2019 Ranger, then doing the same on the doors of my 1995 and 2002 Camaro (which I still have), I was shocked to feel/hear the difference. Further, after only just barely putting any pressure on the door, I can see the metal flexing. The same goes for the roof. I have never been less confident in the thickness/durability of the external materials in a vehicle.

Just for a fair comparison, I went to my local Nissan dealership (about 3 months after buying the Ranger) and knocked on the doors of the Frontier, and even went to a Chevy dealership to do the same to the Colorado (yes, the sales people were wondering what the hell I was doing). Both of those truck's metal felt a bit more substantive, or at least the doors felt a bit less hollow. I am kicking myself for not checking out the roof of those trucks as well, so that I could have a comparison point there.

The third and final thing I noticed that made me question the quality /durability was the fact that I recently (like 2 weeks ago), noticed the window trim around my truck coming lose (both driver/passenger windows). I don't just mean a bit lose, I mean I could push it back in, but it pops back out, over 4 inches of it on the driver's side, and 2 inches on the passenger. I can hear a bit of wind when I drive at high speeds getting caught in the lose trim. I am wondering if this is even covered under warranty, if it should have adhesive (doesn't seem to have any), and if I should go to the dealership to get this taken care of before my 3 years are up.

Finally, the internal plastic components. I did not buy the fanciest version of the Ranger, I bought an XL, with the 101A appearance package. Still, I am shocked at how much the door grip area crack and creek when I grasp them. I am not a very strong person. I don't lift, or do much exercise beyond daily walks and carrying furniture in and out of the truck bed a few times a month. Still, I feel as though I could easily shatter the plastic grip area of the inside of the door (I don't want to call it a door handle, because that's the part that opens the truck, but I can't think of the word for the grip area).

Anyhow, that's the "body" and "paint" of it, but I must say, the CORE of the truck. The engine, transmission, they feel FANTASTIC! I am, so far, utterly impressed by the smoothness of the ride, the ease of the shifting, and the overall driving experience. I have every confidence in the engine of this truck (the one component that I was most worried about when buying it), and, paradoxically, I have lost all confidence in exterior components.

That has been my experience after almost 2 years of owning this truck. My overall feelings for this truck are, thus, a bit mixed. I believe the truck is moderately durable. I think the engine, frame, and even the transmission are going to hold up fine for years and years. With that said, I think the truck is going to look like a mess after only a few years of daily use, even with washing/waxing every month, and mostly highway driving, and pretty soft work use. I do not think that the body/paint comes anywhere close in quality to other vehicles I have owned, and from my very superficial and limited examination of the competition, I feel that these components are inferior.

I don't work the truck too hard. I don't tow, but I do drive 50-60 miles per week with the bed full of furniture (mostly sofas, mattresses, and the occasional bookshelf or desk). The truck has served my purposes well, and I'm sure it will serve me for at least a few more years.

But what have been your experiences? Do you think this truck will hold up? How would you rate the truck's durability so far based on your own experiences?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In all honesty I believe the Ranger is a very well built truck. Does the first few years have some issues? Absolutely. This is something that happens to EVERY new vehicle that has a new body release. Does it bother me that I bought a first year of the Ranger? Kindof but not enough to worry.

The biggest factor that will determine the individual durability of each truck is 1: are you doing the Maintenance and 2: how much did you modify the Powertrain. These two factors will be the biggest in my opinion.

Has my truck been modified? Yes it has and thankfully not much and I am very picky on my maintenance. With that said i feel the truck is durable enough to last quite a while.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The very first thing I noticed was that the paint on these trucks is quite thin and easily scratched. Even with only highway driving, keeping my distance, I've managed to get a few clearcoat scratches on the front and sides of the truck. Granted, most of the significant clearcoat scratches have come from door dings (I'll get back to this next), but even on the front of the hood, there are very evident scratches, and I have no idea how they got there. I hand wash/Spray on wax my truck once per month, I only drive on the highway, and only drive about 400 miles per month. I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the front scratches are coming from.
If you have ever ridden a motorcycle with an open face helmet or no helmet down a highway or freeway with moderate to heavy traffic, you can feel the sandblast on your face and to a lesser extent on bare hands. Even on a "clean" roadway, you can't see any grit coming at you but you can feel it.
The 3&4G Rangers were very durable, given reasonable care. My brother-in-law put 226,000 miles on his 2000. When I lost my job at Whirlpool in 1984,, I drove a Ranger 2wd reg cab with a courier shell on the back. 2.3L(?)4cyl and a 3-speed automatic. I got an '83 with 78000 urban miles to start with and later got an '84 with about 30,000 after that driver quit. they also had E-150s and E-250s with the 4.0L I-6. they ran those about 400,000 miles than shipped them to Argentina to finish them up :oops:.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I never buy a first run vehicle because I've been burned several times in the past. But after reading for countless days on here I felt comfortable buying my '19 Ranger and glad I did. It's been flawless so far and I love it just as much as the day I bought it. As far as long term durability, the drivetrain has been out for some years and is proven to be very good. This is the first vehicle I've owned with this much tech in it and really like it. I feel this truck will hold up as long as you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance but like anything mass produced there still can be issues. The body panels are definitely very thin but as far as the paint I haven't had any problems with mine but I wash and detail it probably more than the average person...Uhemm..... @Tracy Bowman ?

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Sounds like you are putting “durability” into a different class than me. I don’t care so much how the paint holds up or the thickness of body panels. I want a truck that’s gonna last powertrain wise, chassis, suspension etc.. engine is fairly simple and seems solid, transmission is very underwhelmed considering they use it in F-150’s and Mustang GT’s, transfer case and axles seem good. Time will tell. Overall I say it should last.. we will seeeee...

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I expect with regular maintenance & normal driving to get 200,000 miles, 20 yrs out of it.

If I don't, I'll never buy a Ford again!

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This Ranger is a very durable truck I expect to get 200.000 miles easily.

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
After 20 months of owning my ranger other than paint chips that I'll fix later the truck runs like a dream. I'll say it's pretty well built in what I see it as a truck. Nothing will be pretty forever so enjoy the truck

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I think they are relatively well built. The body panels on most everything now days are pretty thin. Keep in mind there are some aluminum panels on the Ranger.

My biggest concern is the EB engine. Plenty of power but when I read about fuel in the oil and coked up intake valves because of direct injection I'm skeptical it would go as far as my 98 F-150 (250K and counting).

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have any concerns about the Ranger's durability. Even though Ford advertised it as "the all-new Ranger," most of the components had been running other vehicles or other Ranger models here and overseas for years. Calling it the "tried-and-true" Ranger in 2019 would have actually made more sense. Even since the wife and I began working full-time in around 1990, we have the practice of buying new vehicles, driving them 5-7 years until they are paid for and have 100,000+ miles on them, and then trading up for a new one. With the new Ranger generation coming out in 2023+, that will be just about right. My 2019 Lariat runs great, no troubles at all, and I am sure that it would make it well past 5 years/100,000 miles, but I have my heart set on a next-generation Ranger Tremor or Raptor, hopefully with a PowerBoost Hybrid + on-board Generator option (like the 150s get now)--just in case.

Last edited:

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
not a big deal if you stay on top of it.
its like everything else on the vehicle.
I believe in staying on top of my vehicles' maintenance. Not complaining or being funny but just how do you do that with this engine?

Those that have the fuel in the oil problem don't seem to be getting much help from Ford. Happily I do not have this problem, at least not at the moment.

Coked up valves seem to be inherent in the DI design. Last time I checked Ford doesn't have any authorized solution other than replacing the head. Not wild about removing the intake manifold and blasting the intake ports with walnut shells every so often.

I already change oil every 5k miles with a premium synthetic oil and use top tier premium fuel.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I feel like ALL new vehicles should last 200k miles if properly maintained... I expect my Ranger to last at least this long without major repairs to the engine, trans or xfercase.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
my dealer offers the cleaning. i havent enquired yet, but I am approaching the time frame where they should be looking into it
Not every vehicle will coke up, and I think they are honest enough to poke a camera in there before they do the whole process
this is from one of their emails in the past.

1614022154642.png

1614022180207.png
That's a Ford dealer offering that? Cool. Wonder what they use to actually remove the carbon? From what I've read chemicals won't do the job. It actually takes abrasives ( walnut shells) to get it done. When you do it let us know how how it turned out.
Sponsored