First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
i have been looking at those, how does it tow? What kind of mileage are you getting towing?
So I got the required miles and took our new setup for a shakedown cruise. I was very impressed with every aspect of the trial run.
We went out in the early morning before any windy conditions popped up. I wanted to get a feel for things in a neutral environment. I have many years and miles of towing larger trailers behind larger trucks. I know that wind and traffic will change the experience.
After 20 miles or so, I entered the onramp to a local interstate and ran it up to the 60 or so. That's likely where most of our, no hurry, driving will be at. The rig accelerated up to speed easily.
I got the feel that this truck is a great match for my trailer. Very happy with this combo.
Sponsored

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
So I got the required miles and took our new setup for a shakedown cruise. I was very impressed with every aspect of the trial run.
We went out in the early morning before any windy conditions popped up. I wanted to get a feel for things in a neutral environment. I have many years and miles of towing larger trailers behind larger trucks. I know that wind and traffic will change the experience.
After 20 miles or so, I entered the onramp to a local interstate and ran it up to the 60 or so. That's likely where most of our, no hurry, driving will be at. The rig accelerated up to speed easily.
I got the feel that this truck is a great match for my trailer. Very happy with this combo.
awesome

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I just purchased a Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. I've only towed it 20 miles from the dealer to the house but did so during Santa Ana winds. I'm using an Equal-i-zer and its dry weight was ~ 5200 Lbs.

Initial impression: The truck has the power to pull but you will feel it. The trailer pulled with very little sway but it also felt like the Rangers butt wanted to wag a little bit. I couldn't tell if it was the wind, road, Tractor trailers/large trucks or other factor. The Rangers trailer length feature was inaccurate due to the width of the trailer and the rangers thin width. It could not look around the trailer. The side view mirrors cannot see far behind the mirrors. Though it will work I think a larger truck is in my future. More power, width, weight, better mirrors (tow), payload capacity will be required for long trips IMO. I'm thinking a F250 or equivalent would make a good choice. The F150 specs are too similar to the Rangers and right now I have very little payload capacity available.

Sure, it would tow 7500 lbs but I don't think it would be safe for more than a casual short trip and certainly not with the bed full of camping gear.

IMG_20220204_154539.jpg

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Towing this past week. We tow a bit year-around. Weekly actually.
P1040196.jpg
P1040192.jpg

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The FX4 shocks are not helping you any in that regard. They are garbage for any kind of heavy towing work.

I just purchased a Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
My lease is about up and I'm ready to go larger. If I were to keep it, I might go with a shock change but truly feel a bigger tow vehicle will make me feel safer and happier. The Ranger over 3 years has been great, and I love the features. I've towed my SXS many times, but it comes in around #3500 combined. As many have stated there is a large difference between towing a lower profile rig and a TT.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The FX4 shocks are not helping you any in that regard. They are garbage for any kind of heavy towing work.
Agree. I have the Fox 2.0 rears and tow a trailer just a tad smaller than your Imagine. No butt wag or sway.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Last edited:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
2017 RPod 4,000 lb 20' lenght.

The Ranger tows this well! Added Reese friction sway bar to eliminate swaying.

IMG_0561.jpg
Beautiful setup, both the trailer and truck. We were set on a R-pod 180 until FR suspended production of the 6.5' wide trailers last fall :( We bought something a bit larger, which is more 'future-proof' but still have a sweet spot for R-pods :)

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Beautiful setup, both the trailer and truck. We were set on a R-pod 180 until FR suspended production of the 6.5' wide trailers last fall :( We bought something a bit larger, which is more 'future-proof' but still have a sweet spot for R-pods :)
Good luck with the new camper! Only thing we are missing on the 179 is it is not made of the moisture resistant material Azdel... But in So Cal we should be OK.

So no more 6.5' wide RPods, bummer. I see the new ones are also heavier.

Enjoy!
IMG_8135.JPG

At Borrego Springs.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Good luck with the new camper! Only thing we are missing on the 179 is it is not made of the moisture resistant material Azdel... But in So Cal we should be OK.

So no more 6.5' wide RPods, bummer. I see the new ones are also heavier.

Enjoy!
IMG_8135.JPG

At Borrego Springs.
Nice setup, love my 2020 anniversary edition 191. One of the last of the narrow ones. Love the twin bed floor plan, no crawling over each other. Tows great with the ranger. This is on the road to Arizona last spring.
20210422_121431.jpg

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Thanks! Of all the much bigger boats I’ve owned this one is my favorite.
I've a CY2002 model that I primarily fish with out of Flamingo or lower Biscayne Bay / North Key Largo. Fantastic boats. The Ranger hardly knows its back there.
Sponsored