First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
under the rear of my truck on each side is two holes that look like they are intended to mount something. They are very close to where the factory tow package bolts on, on the outer frame. so if your on the side of the exhaust pipe and look up its right above. it looks like a top piece of steel and a bottom meet and could have something in between that is to be bolted. any ideas? i know a picture would help but its 2 am lol.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
under the rear of my truck on each side is two holes that look like they are intended to mount something. They are very close to where the factory tow package bolts on, on the outer frame. so if your on the side of the exhaust pipe and look up its right above. it looks like a top piece of steel and a bottom meet and could have something in between that is to be bolted. any ideas? i know a picture would help but its 2 am lol.
Hi Mark,

Yep, a pix would help. It is uncommon but sometimes an old punch is left in the die during stamping/forming and you get a unused hole in the frame side member. This can be when the die would have to be taken off line for example and it is too costly to do such an operation of pulling the die, pulling the punch, modifying the die and then reinstalling the die which can be a real bugger... Not sure the exact process on the Ranger frame if it it is hydroformed or stamped or both...

Best,
Phil

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi Mark,

Yep, a pix would help. It is uncommon but sometimes an old punch is left in the die during stamping/forming and you get a unused hole in the frame side member. This can be when the die would have to be taken off line for example and it is too costly to do such an operation of pulling the die, pulling the punch, modifying the die and then reinstalling the die which can be a real bugger... Not sure the exact process on the Ranger frame if it it is hydroformed or stamped or both...

Best,
Phil

I remember reading somewhere that the frame is hydroformed for the 5G Ranger. Trying to find info on it but everything keeps coming back for the 2023 using that tech on the frame.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
1650316925671.png

so the mystery spots. one is on each side. trucks still filthy underneath. i hate mud. you cant get it all unless you disassemble the dang truck.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
1650316925671.png

so the mystery spots. one is on each side. trucks still filthy underneath. i hate mud. you cant get it all unless you disassemble the dang truck.
I used them to hold the bumper up while I installed my hitch lol!

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I used them to hold the bumper up while I installed my hitch lol!
they do look pretty sturdy, my first thought was slide in camper mount related but the manual says no slide in campers.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Wholly hole...now that is a proper hole. And not only is it a hole, it's a rare "oval" hole !!!
I say rare cause it's even rarer to find an oval bolt with matching oval nut !!!
I just checked my 2021, and for sure, I'm blessed with the same oval holes !!! What are the chances of that ???
Now I'll have to go to Lowes and find something oval shaped to fill it...can't have any rogue holes lying around !!!

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Wondering if these might be alternative hitch safety chain hookup spots

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Wholly hole...now that is a proper hole. And not only is it a hole, it's a rare "oval" hole !!!
I say rare cause it's even rarer to find an oval bolt with matching oval nut !!!
I just checked my 2021, and for sure, I'm blessed with the same oval holes !!! What are the chances of that ???
Now I'll have to go to Lowes and find something oval shaped to fill it...can't have any rogue holes lying around !!!
i was thinking about making use of them for something like a step or rack of some sort. but, wanna proper purpose for them ahead of getting to deep into seeing what I can bolt up to it lol. Might be a great spot to mount some lights if one needs extra back up light or under body lights for off road or what not. ( i think most of the rock lights are more to be flashy instead of actual use). only trucks i see with them in my area are pavement princesses.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Wondering if these might be alternative hitch safety chain hookup spots
thats a good thought, they do look tough enough for that and are really close to the hitch mounting spot.

irv0735

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat Tremor
i was thinking about making use of them for something like a step or rack of some sort. but, wanna proper purpose for them ahead of getting to deep into seeing what I can bolt up to it lol. Might be a great spot to mount some lights if one needs extra back up light or under body lights for off road or what not. ( i think most of the rock lights are more to be flashy instead of actual use). only trucks i see with them in my area are pavement princesses.
Another forum member did mount some rigid pods to them and wired the relay control switch to the reverse lights.

Edit (Link): https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.3511/post-76041

On the page before you can see how they look with the whole truck in frame.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather