First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
What’s the next best logical engine upgrade after a tune? I’d rather not waste $ on something that doesn’t help.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the next best logical engine upgrade after a tune? I’d rather not waste $ on something that doesn’t help.
If you haven't done anything yet, an exhaust upgrade and intake upgrade for better air flow.

A simple intake upgrade could be as easy as an AEM Dry Filter as an example. There are mentions in the "Cold Air Intake" thread. (maybe 60-70$). An exhaust could be MBRP catback installer series, (maybe 400$ +/-) plus install if you don't do it.

If you did nothing else, you will be smil'n.:)

Someone else (Dave @AzScorpion)would say don't forget the tailgate damper for extra HP and torque...:crazy:

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Stickers......lots and lots of stickers! :rolleyes:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In my opinion the next best thing to do woulb be either a cat back exhaust or an intercooler. Mishimoto is currently working on the intercooler as we speak and Mountune has one available for our trucks now. How would the intercooler be beneficial? Simple, you hold more power for a longer period of time.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Stickers......lots and lots of stickers! :rolleyes:
As long as you keep them around the perimeter of the back window, they add horsepower. The ones that don't have a background add more than the ones that do.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Definitely anything to do with airflow. Exhaust, intake, down pipe, intercooler, etc. The easier the air can flow through and the cooler the air can be is best. The cooler the air, the more dense. The more dense, the more oxygen. The more oxygen, the more go.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Intake, catted down pipe and then new tune from Livernois for the new upgrades. Catback exhaust isn’t going give you any discernible power.

OP
OP
E Monty

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
If you haven't done anything yet, an exhaust upgrade and intake upgrade for better air flow.

A simple intake upgrade could be as easy as an AEM Dry Filter as an example. There are mentions in the "Cold Air Intake" thread. (maybe 60-70$). An exhaust could be MBRP catback installer series, (maybe 400$ +/-) plus install if you don't do it.

If you did nothing else, you will be smil'n.:)

Someone else (Dave @AzScorpion)would say don't forget the tailgate damper for extra HP and torque...:crazy:
I did listen to a cat back compilation and I did like the MBRP the best. An exhaust does sound fun just gotta figure out how to sell it to my wife. If you have this exhaust how loud is it when you get after it? I don’t want it to be overbearing.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I did listen to a cat back compilation and I did like the MBRP the best. An exhaust does sound fun just gotta figure out how to sell it to my wife. If you have this exhaust how loud is it when you get after it? I don’t want it to be overbearing.
I do have that particular one and I would say in the range of upper mild to mid moderate. Not overbearing and doesn't sound like Honda night on mainstreet. Doesn't drone. Sounds right for the engine at ALL speeds. Never sounds like weh weh weh...

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I put a Flowmaster cat-back on mine because I have a Flowmaster on my LeMans and I'm happy with it. It was easy to install and it doesn't sound obnoxious though I wish it did. When it starts up it sounds a bit weird and "ricey" but once it's warm it's fine. I would have loved something more aggressive but it IS only a four cylinder.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
EXHAUST!

Whatever cat-back design you prefer....I was concerned about being too loud and dealing with a drone on the highway (I commute a lot). I went with a Gibson system for flow and queitness. It sounds pretty close to a stock exhaust until you put your foot in it....lol. I love my exhaust system!
I think a MBRP or Flowmaster system would be great too....

A Cold Air Intake will give you very minimal performance gains but would be the other part of the breathing equation.....flow in....flow out ;)

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
If you're just going for more power, a downpipe and updated tune. Intake and exhaust really isn't going to give you any noticeable gains. Or a bigger turbo! My 2 cents!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4