West Virginia

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Is there a more beautiful, mountainous state than West Virginia? I’ve driven through there many times, and I’m always struck by the beautiful scenes. Extremely poor, lack of jobs, but as far as geography goes, I have yet to travel through a state as impressive, from north to south. If there’s a rain Forrest, or a garden of eden, it would be West Virginia. The west has bigger mountains sure, but it’s also way more open and spread out, and definitely more barren.

An interesting fact I saw on YouTube. U.S Army Rangers do their mountain training in West Virginia.

Anyone ever been there?

also Appalachia > Ozark IMO

Go on Zillow and check acreage for West Virginia. I think the only cheaper land I’ve seen has been desert Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona land. But no trees, and definitely not as good soil
Sponsored

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Here I am in the PNW scratching my head at the idea of my state being called "barren"

geography.png

Within a ~3-hour drive are 5 volcanoes, 64 mountain ranges, a massive rainforest, deep river canyons, rivers, lakes, open ocean, islands, Puget Sound, fruit orchards, rolling wheat fields, mesas, the list goes on and on.

Totally agreed that West Virginia has a ton of beauty, but having just hiked through the Hoh Rainforest last week through some of the most abundant and dense foliage in North America I thought the label "barren" to be funny

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Here I am in the PNW scratching my head at the idea of my state being called "barren"

geography.png

Within a ~3-hour drive are 5 volcanoes, 64 mountain ranges, a massive rainforest, deep river canyons, rivers, lakes, open ocean, islands, Puget Sound, fruit orchards, rolling wheat fields, mesas, the list goes on and on.

Totally agreed that West Virginia has a ton of beauty, but having just hiked through the Hoh Rainforest last week through some of the most abundant and dense foliage in North America I thought the label "barren" to be funny
That’s true. I should have specified and excluded the North West. If West Virginia has competition it would be PNW.

however, I was thinking east coast, mid Atlantic, Midwest and south western states. In all that I have traversed, I’ve yet to see a whole state match the actual ruggedness, combined with lushness, and biodiversity. I have no doubt areas in the PNW can compete and maybe even surpass.

the areas that come close to me has been Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Just a tick below.

I’m planning on driving to Southern California all the way up to Washington for a month this summer, so I’ll definitely need to update my list.
SO FAR I have yet to see a state as unique and as beautiful/lush as West Virginia.

P.S….. for as much hype as Colorado gets, I was expected to be blown away. Sure, areas with lots of pine, and huge mountains, but also a lot of just openness and sky. Huge long grades when driving, but nothing like some back road short curves, no guard rail pucker factor like WV lol.

Same with Utah, and New Mexico. Some beautiful and unique sights in areas, but pines galore and doesn’t hold a candle to the biodiversity of WV.

I’m hoping I can add the PNW to my list of most beautiful area. By all intents and purposes I’m sure I will. Just judging from photographs and what people say about it.

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
West Virginia is near the top of my list for states I want to explore—you're definitely getting me in the mood for a road trip soon

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
West Virginia is near the top of my list for states I want to explore—you're definitely getting me in the mood for a road trip soon
If you love hiking you’ll be in your glory. Endless amounts. I’m too scared to do it but they have white water rafting too. Great all around camping spots. Just a shame their economy isn’t better. Sparsely populated, lots of space to explore.

when I drive to NY I purposely take a route that costs me hours, just so I can drive up West Virginia and Pennsylvania lol.

Also, Kentucky is a very beautiful state too. Not as rugged, but awesome none the less.

wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XLT FX4 HPR, FZ1, KTM 500EXC, MONKEY
Vehicle Showcase
If you love hiking you’ll be in your glory. Endless amounts. I’m too scared to do it but they have white water rafting too. Great all around camping spots. Just a shame their economy isn’t better. Sparsely populated, lots of space to explore.

when I drive to NY I purposely take a route that costs me hours, just so I can drive up West Virginia and Pennsylvania lol.

Also, Kentucky is a very beautiful state too. Not as rugged, but awesome none the less.
stxguy, I'm with you on this one. WV. Hattfield & McCoy trails are the most fun, and varied that I've ever ridden, dirt bike. The scenery is fantastic. There are many activities , white water rafting, hiking, fishing, and dining., and more. The people in the area are some of the friendliest that I've ever encountered. It's very reasonably priced to do a weekend or vacation there.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I live right across the Potomac from West Virginia and have worked and played there my entire life. The scenery is amazing and the people are some of the finest I have ever met. I have seen every corner of the state and never been disappointed.

I recommend the New River Gorge Bridge and Seneca Rocks. Harpers Ferry is beautiful as well.

I plan to retire near Lewisburg, in 25 years...

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
It’s funny that when I drive back home, as soon as I hit Kentucky border I feel like I’m home already, especially the eastern side lol.

The pacific north west right now has a movement where parts of eastern Oregon and Washington want to combine with Idaho because of voting/cultural differences.

We need a bigger Appalachian super state. The southern tier in NY (break my people free from the NYC-dictated draconian laws and taxes) all of central, west and south Pennsylvania, all of West Virginia, parts of Virginia on their west, a little o Maryland, and eastern Kentucky.

Pittsburgh will be our state capital. Plenty of natural resources, jobs, manufacturing, farming, water.

Let’s do it bros. These modern state lines don’t mean shit anymore.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My parents were both born and bred in west by god Va, and wife and I have mtn property there, where we will retire.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
That’s true. I should have specified and excluded the North West. If West Virginia has competition it would be PNW.

however, I was thinking east coast, mid Atlantic, Midwest and south western states. In all that I have traversed, I’ve yet to see a whole state match the actual ruggedness, combined with lushness, and biodiversity. I have no doubt areas in the PNW can compete and maybe even surpass.

the areas that come close to me has been Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Just a tick below.

I’m planning on driving to Southern California all the way up to Washington for a month this summer, so I’ll definitely need to update my list.
SO FAR I have yet to see a state as unique and as beautiful/lush as West Virginia.

P.S….. for as much hype as Colorado gets, I was expected to be blown away. Sure, areas with lots of pine, and huge mountains, but also a lot of just openness and sky. Huge long grades when driving, but nothing like some back road short curves, no guard rail pucker factor like WV lol.

Same with Utah, and New Mexico. Some beautiful and unique sights in areas, but pines galore and doesn’t hold a candle to the biodiversity of WV.

I’m hoping I can add the PNW to my list of most beautiful area. By all intents and purposes I’m sure I will. Just judging from photographs and what people say about it.
I grew up in western Washington, went to college and grad school in eastern Washington, spent several years in Indiana, and now just recently relocated to West Virginia. While I'd definitely choose the Cascades of Washington over West Virginia, part of what drew me here was the similarities to where I grew up. And as an added bonus, the people I've met here have been great.

geography.png

I never realized it before, but I grew up not far from where the house is in your map! Just move the dot about halfway to the volcano, and that's my house!

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I grew up in western Washington, went to college and grad school in eastern Washington, spent several years in Indiana, and now just recently relocated to West Virginia. While I'd definitely choose the Cascades of Washington over West Virginia, part of what drew me here was the similarities to where I grew up. And as an added bonus, the people I've met here have been great.

I never realized it before, but I grew up not far from where the house is in your map! Just move the dot about halfway to the volcano, and that's my house!
Now that’s a coincidence. Interesting too that it makes you feel like home too. I’m sure I’ll like the PNW just fine then.

What brought you to West Virginia?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Now that’s a coincidence. Interesting too that it makes you feel like home too. I’m sure I’ll like the PNW just fine then.

What brought you to West Virginia?
A job offer.

In the PNW, you just have to get away from the population centers around Portland and Seattle. I highly recommend checking out North Cascades, which is the most underrated of the national parks, IMO.

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
A job offer.

In the PNW, you just have to get away from the population centers around Portland and Seattle. I highly recommend checking out North Cascades, which is the most underrated of the national parks, IMO.
I’ll definitely check that out. Most people want to check out the cities of Portland and Seattle. Hell no for me. I’m interested in the country-side.

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Another fun fact for the gun guys. West Virginia has more lenient gun laws than Texas. They’ve already got ‘constitutional carry’.
As I was bragging about Texas getting constitutional carry a couple of weeks ago after the bill passed the senate to my family, the bill is now being held in limbo behind closed doors after it was rejected by the house because of certain bill attachments.

embarrassing. I sure as hell hope this doesn’t die.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
My wife and I go to WV every year to visit her sister over Thanksgiving, and I do a little deer hunting.
One day my brother-in-law and I were hunting on his folk's farm. We headed out to different spots before dawn. It was a cold, wet, raw day (half rain, half snow-sleet). I got pretty chilled and about noon decided to walk about a mile back to the farmhouse to warm up. His Mom was at the house, and it went like this:

She - "Oh my, give me that wet coat. You sit right by the stove here, and I'll get you something hot to eat."
Me - "No, no, I brought my lunch today."
She - "Don't be silly, a sandwich is not a fitting meal for a man!"
Me - (thinking) "I wonder if I've frozen to death, and this is heaven?"

Yup, beautiful countryside and some really fine folks!
Sponsored