Well, This Is Unusual

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've been checking the value of my truck every week for a bit now and it's been floating up and down (up right now).

Out of curiosity, several times I have priced it similarly equipped as a Lariat and as an XLT just to see the difference.

They have always been within a few dollars of each other, never more than $200 apart.

Then today when I checked I saw this...

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 5.12.00 PM.png

How is the XLT now the highest priced used Ranger?

I know the used car market is a bit absurd right now but I still don't get this.
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I've been checking the value of my truck every week for a bit now and it's been floating up and down (up right now).

Out of curiosity, several times I have priced it similarly equipped as a Lariat and as an XLT just to see the difference.

They have always been within a few dollars of each other, never more than $200 apart.

Then today when I checked I saw this...

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 5.12.00 PM.png

How is the XLT now the highest priced used Ranger?

I know the used car market is a bit absurd right now but I still don't get this.
What site are you looking at?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
My guess would be supply and demand? There's probably more XLT's available so they jacked up the price and fools people are still buying them.
That would be my guess; XLT hits the sweet spot for most people so I'm sure it is the highest demand.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Probably just a mistake since its clearly not correct. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
This is from KBB. They don't even show a 2021 Ranger. I looked at the 2020 and the Lariat is the highest, but for 2019 it does show the XLT. As was already mentioned, likely a typo.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It's KBB.

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
This Market should be driven by demand. Ford may say Lariat is higher priced, but the people may say they don’t want that dash layout. Thereby making xlt more valuable.

Ford Is based on price to make.
Market is based on what people want.

But like one said, probably not accurate.
Cool if it is, shows me the market still works.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
This is from KBB. They don't even show a 2021 Ranger. I looked at the 2020 and the Lariat is the highest, but for 2019 it does show the XLT. As was already mentioned, likely a typo.
They base their value for that site off reported dealer transactions so it's likely given the shortages and the available inventory for a particular year that used XLT historically have been selling for more. Consider the number of people here who have reported selling their 2019 Ranger to dealers recently for crazy high $; those dealers are selling them for even more. It's very possible that because there are so many more used 2019 XLT being sold at dealerships and selling for silly money that this number is correct at this particular moment in time. As the market cools and a couple of years go by, it'll self correct. The people buying used cars for new car prices will be very upside down in a year or two.
Sponsored