OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think an additional thing I am going to try is tossing a one way diode in-line with the signal split off to the third party lights. It may do absolutely nothing, but I am curious if blocking any sort of back feeding into the ford system will result in anything worthwhile.
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I noted a couple of things in this thread:

You mentioned that all exterior turn lamps work, but have you physically pulled and reseated them. (Front and Mirror) it could just be a dirty contact point on one of the bulb sockets or even a filament that is weak (bulb) the BCM is finicky and if it senses any abnormal current, it creates the hyper-blink (dash only) It also has internal circuit protection called (FET) Field Effect Transmitter that disables the output (power) to the individual source. I think you may have another bulb, contact in the system that is creating your whole issue, and when you add the aftermarket light into the system it's too much current and trips the (FET) within the BCM, you plug factory back in and it works but still have hyper-flash (intermittently) - (1) Possibility is that the BCM has a locked code that needs reset or (2) dirty bulb or connection at the front turns or mirror lights. It boils down to current draw and what the BCM sees
Now I'm new to the ranger but I do know that any aftermarket lighting CAN create issues, I just think your issue is (2) items coupled together.

Plus: You mentioned that you do not have ForScan, this will read (B) and (U) Codes I believe.
I have not used it for codes, I use my Autel Scanner for that purpose, if it does you can read and reset the codes. It would at least pinpoint down the faulty circuit
You also mentioned that you had no codes with a OBD reader, but will it read Body Codes?
The issue you are having will most likely generate a (B) -Body or (U) - Communication Code from the BCM and you will not have a check engine light

Just my thoughts - Hope you get it chased down and finally fixed

Dirtball

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance Tech
I noted a couple of things in this thread:

You mentioned that all exterior turn lamps work, but have you physically pulled and reseated them. (Front and Mirror) it could just be a dirty contact point on one of the bulb sockets or even a filament that is weak (bulb) the BCM is finicky and if it senses any abnormal current, it creates the hyper-blink (dash only) It also has internal circuit protection called (FET) Field Effect Transmitter that disables the output (power) to the individual source. I think you may have another bulb, contact in the system that is creating your whole issue, and when you add the aftermarket light into the system it's too much current and trips the (FET) within the BCM, you plug factory back in and it works but still have hyper-flash (intermittently) - (1) Possibility is that the BCM has a locked code that needs reset or (2) dirty bulb or connection at the front turns or mirror lights. It boils down to current draw and what the BCM sees
Now I'm new to the ranger but I do know that any aftermarket lighting CAN create issues, I just think your issue is (2) items coupled together.

Plus: You mentioned that you do not have ForScan, this will read (B) and (U) Codes I believe.
I have not used it for codes, I use my Autel Scanner for that purpose, if it does you can read and reset the codes. It would at least pinpoint down the faulty circuit
You also mentioned that you had no codes with a OBD reader, but will it read Body Codes?
The issue you are having will most likely generate a (B) -Body or (U) - Communication Code from the BCM and you will not have a check engine light

Just my thoughts - Hope you get it chased down and finally fixed
I do have ForScan. Although I believe my license is not active anymore. Plus I do not have much experience other than enabling bambi mode and disabling auto start/stop. I plugged ForScan in, but was unsure how to check for codes. I will take your advice and physically check the the mirror and front signals. Would disconnecting the negative from battery for a bit possibly help? That is the advice I received from a coworker. Thanks for the reply!

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
My post was for OFC Ranger - your issue (Dirtball) may be easier - Since you had a definite starting point that caused it (Carwash) - You got water inside a connector and the BCM saw it as a short or fault

IDK how the Laser Washes work, is it Underbody as well?

The BCM has possibly retained the fault and it is still in circuit protection mode. Now with your issue, I would look at - anywhere you have broken or disturbed any factory connection points.
I say the lights you added on the rear and the side mirror lights as these points allow easy water entry.
Especially if you have added the sequential LED light to the mirrors, that connector could easily allow water intrusion-if it was not stuffed all the way in.

The BCM protects itself in 2 ways
1. The Dash Hyper-Blink is an indicator that it senses a faulty circuit on that side, such as a blown bulb - so it is a quick (tale-tale) just like a fault light (aka) idiot light on the dash
2. If the fault continues and it senses a short, the BCM disables the output driver for (power) to that SPECIFIC light. There is a separate output driver for EACH exterior light within the BCM (it's basically an Electronic Circuit Breaker) or with older vehicles it was a fuse link, but this can be reset - vs replaced
So, if the BCM has a registered code and locked in memory -it still thinks that there is a problem
I'm not sure if it automatically reset with key cycle on and off, so this is why you need to visually see (hooked up) with code reader or ForScan to see if you have any codes locked in.

Battery Disconnect:
It could possibly help, just IDK how long the truck (retains memory) - older vehicles would just be 5 minutes or so. Some have reported changing the battery and the radio station presets stayed intact. - thus, it retained memory

ForScan:
I think you would need the licensed version - to read codes, IDK
But with ForScan hooked up, in the left hand Collum - Click on the DTC icon and it lists all the modules and indicates if there are any error codes registered- you will be most interested in the BCM (Body Control Module) - Click on the Line (showing error) and I think it will give you the option to reset the error.
Unfortunately, ForScan will not let you see anything - (All Blank) screens unless you are actually connected to vehicle - So I am unable to give you step by step - without hooking up and connecting to the truck

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My post was for OFC Ranger - your issue (Dirtball) may be easier - Since you had a definite starting point that caused it (Carwash) - You got water inside a connector and the BCM saw it as a short or fault

IDK how the Laser Washes work, is it Underbody as well?

The BCM has possibly retained the fault and it is still in circuit protection mode. Now with your issue, I would look at - anywhere you have broken or disturbed any factory connection points.
I say the lights you added on the rear and the side mirror lights as these points allow easy water entry.
Especially if you have added the sequential LED light to the mirrors, that connector could easily allow water intrusion-if it was not stuffed all the way in.

The BCM protects itself in 2 ways
1. The Dash Hyper-Blink is an indicator that it senses a faulty circuit on that side, such as a blown bulb - so it is a quick (tale-tale) just like a fault light (aka) idiot light on the dash
2. If the fault continues and it senses a short, the BCM disables the output driver for (power) to that SPECIFIC light. There is a separate output driver for EACH exterior light within the BCM (it's basically an Electronic Circuit Breaker) or with older vehicles it was a fuse link, but this can be reset - vs replaced
So, if the BCM has a registered code and locked in memory -it still thinks that there is a problem
I'm not sure if it automatically reset with key cycle on and off, so this is why you need to visually see (hooked up) with code reader or ForScan to see if you have any codes locked in.

Battery Disconnect:
It could possibly help, just IDK how long the truck (retains memory) - older vehicles would just be 5 minutes or so. Some have reported changing the battery and the radio station presets stayed intact. - thus, it retained memory

ForScan:
I think you would need the licensed version - to read codes, IDK
But with ForScan hooked up, in the left hand Collum - Click on the DTC icon and it lists all the modules and indicates if there are any error codes registered- you will be most interested in the BCM (Body Control Module) - Click on the Line (showing error) and I think it will give you the option to reset the error.
Unfortunately, ForScan will not let you see anything - (All Blank) screens unless you are actually connected to vehicle - So I am unable to give you step by step - without hooking up and connecting to the truck
I can tell you battery disco does not seem to work for resetting my specific issue. I've left it undone all night with no resolution.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a random question.

Currently if you hardwire trailer style lights to the tail lights, the brake function overrides the turn signal.

Also, if you hook some fancy sequential lights to the trailer harness, they won't work - just standard blink.

What happens if I run a turn signal from the tail light, but the brake light from the trailer harness.

Will the world explode?

Dirtball

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance Tech
I took the Putco tailgate light off and cleared the BCM code with Forscan. Afterwards I still received the hyper blink and code reappeared. I suspect the tailgate light is not the problem and will let a dealer tech look into this problem further. Btw, you were right that Forscan does need a license for codes and resetting. Once I received the license, code came right up and I was able to clear. Thanks for the help @airline tech

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So I have a random question.
Actually three questions
Currently if you hardwire trailer style lights to the tail lights, the brake function overrides the turn signal.
This is because trailer style lights, at least in the US, use the the same filement/lamp for both the turn signal and the brake lights.
Also, if you hook some fancy sequential lights to the trailer harness, they won't work - just standard blink.
Have no idea on this one. Unless it's because you trigger signal is flashing and your sequentials don't have time to react.
What happens if I run a turn signal from the tail light, but the brake light from the trailer harness.
See answer to first question. And, You would be possibly mixing two different signal power sources. One from the BCM and one from thr TRM.
Will the world explode?
Not the world but maybe your BCM and TRM. :shock:

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Actually three questions

This is because trailer style lights, at least in the US, use the the same filement/lamp for both the turn signal and the brake lights.

Have no idea on this one. Unless it's because you trigger signal is flashing and your sequentials done have time to react.

Not the world but maybe your BCM and TRM. :shock:
Ok entertain me....

I'll toss in one one way diodes to prevent back feeding into the factory system.

There has got to be a way to trick this electrical system to get both the sequential function to work, but also not have brake lights over-ride them. I refuse to be defeated lol

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I know it worked fine for a while but whenever I hear "hyperflash" and "LED" I'm thinking "load resistor"..... :wink:

It' worth a try........
Sponsored