Weird jerking feel in morning, goes away once heated up

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I've been scouring the forums here for days trying to find someone else describing the same issue I'm having. 2021 Ranger, just over 4100 miles on it. On my way to work in the morning, up and down some small inclines/declines, I've noticed a weird jerking feeling that happens seemingly at random. It almost feels like a misfire or the transmission slipping, but I've hit the +/- button and watched the gears while it's happening and it does not line up with any shifting. It most often happens under light throttle at 40-50 MPH. I have noticed it happen very sparingly if I've driven the truck previously the same day, but this isn't nearly as common and wouldn't bother me.

Has anyone else noticed something similar to this? I haven't tested if this happens when driving in sport mode or not, but I've seen that as well as a tune recommended for better shifting and overall throttle response. My truck also did not do this until recently and I've had the truck since February in upstate NY, so if this was an issue with the engine being cold I assume I would have noticed during the first month or two of ownership. I'm wondering if it's some part of the whole "adaptive" transmission learning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Doak Steezy

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
mine has a lagged shift when cold at 3-4. sometimes 2-3.
its pretty common, but is it right?

when mine warms up the problem disappears.

Others have noted that their transmission oil level is on the low side.

Im going in for an oil change next week, and have decided to drop an extra $200 to have my transmission fluid flushed and filter changed. I am almost 50000km now . I am curious about the condition of it, as well if i had the proper fluid level.

I will see how my transmission reacts after this is done and note if there is an improvement.
I wish the problem was only when shifting... since it happens while already in gear, seemingly most common in 9 and 10, I'm inclined to believe it's not the transmission itself. It almost feels like a misfire, or how the trans would feel if it was slipping

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hey Doak, I'm not sure if it is the exact same issue, but I think someone in this thread is experiencing the same thing: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...d-or-engine-runs-rough-after-cold-start.9352/

Note though that the main TSB discussed is for the 2019 (not sure if that is exclusive of other model years though). One of the users Tim Vogt seems to have the same issue around 40mph though. He has another thread to track his specific issue: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/#post-291958

Some have mentioned that the ford performance tune does not experience the same issue.

Anyways - hope that helps!

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have the same issue with my 2020. It doesn't like going when she is cold. She is warmed up good to go.

OP
OP
Doak Steezy

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Hey Doak, I'm not sure if it is the exact same issue, but I think someone in this thread is experiencing the same thing: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...d-or-engine-runs-rough-after-cold-start.9352/

Note though that the main TSB discussed is for the 2019 (not sure if that is exclusive of other model years though). One of the users Tim Vogt seems to have the same issue around 40mph though. He has another thread to track his specific issue: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/#post-291958

Some have mentioned that the ford performance tune does not experience the same issue.

Anyways - hope that helps!
Thanks! The second thread linked sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. Apologies for making a new thread about the same issue, I didn't see that one beforehand. I'll be trying using tow and sport mode when I notice it happening next to see if that helps. Annoying that I have to try that, but it is what it is for now.

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
No worries at all - I'm not bashing for making a new post. Just happened to have read your post jus a minute or two after reading those so I figured I'd pass them on because hey its almost the weekend haha. Hopefully your issue gets resolved quickly!

OP
OP
Doak Steezy

Doak Steezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Posted this in another thread, figured I'll post here as well in case this info is of any use to someone.

I noticed this issue around the time I started parking in my driveway, on a slight incline (as opposed to the garage, where the truck sits flat overnight). So out of curiosity, I started backing into my driveway (still on an incline but with the front of the truck "pointing down" now) and noticed this issue almost completely went away. I did manage to feel it very slightly this morning, but nowhere near the level I was feeling it up until this point. I'm wondering if it's related to the way the truck sits for extended periods of time, since I park on a flat surface while at work, and it never happens after work either.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I noticed this early on with my Ranger. My solution and fix was let it warmup for a few minutes before engaging drive. The engine antifreeze circulation also includes a transmission cooler. So this ether heats the fluid or cools it depending on what temperature it is.

So a normal key start would be high idle (warmup) for a few minutes. Then it will drop down a few hundred RPM. A minute later it will drop slightly again. Does two things, keeps the fan from sounding like a cement truck on initial takeoff and has also started warmup of tranny fluid. Even then transmission is still not at operational temps but the hard shifts are not happening ether.

Hope that helps!

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I am getting TSB 19-2052 on Thursday for my 2019 which was built before February.

Called up dealer, explained what I was experiencing, gave him the TSB number and he made me an appointment.
Sponsored