Weak battery already??

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I’ve noticed that my Auto Start/Stop no longer shuts down the engine at a light, that my screen display says it has shut down to save battery (after I open the door and get in but before I put the key in the ignition), that when my door is open my overhead light stays on for about a minute then shuts off, and as soon as I shut off the engine the cigarette lighter loses power (ie- my dash cam shuts off).

My Ranger, which I bought in Dec 2019, only has 12k miles on it. I am retired but drive it at least 3-4 times a week for errands etc...all local driving. Maybe once a week I get on a freeway. This is just unheard of for me because the battery on my Avalanche lasted close to 5 years! If it IS the battery I certainly hope this isn’t going to be an very 12k mile occurrence. I’m reading other posts about the battery system and a little concerned now. I already don’t like that there is no gauge on the instrument panel for the battery and nothing I can see in the driver display to see the battery health.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’ve noticed that my Auto Start/Stop no longer shuts down the engine at a light, that my screen display says it has shut down to save battery (after I open the door and get in but before I put the key in the ignition), that when my door is open my overhead light stays on for about a minute then shuts off, and as soon as I shut off the engine the cigarette lighter loses power (ie- my dash cam shuts off).

My Ranger, which I bought in Dec 2019, only has 12k miles on it. I am retired but drive it at least 3-4 times a week for errands etc...all local driving. Maybe once a week I get on a freeway. This is just unheard of for me because the battery on my Avalanche lasted close to 5 years! If it IS the battery I certainly hope this isn’t going to be an very 12k mile occurrence. I’m reading other posts about the battery system and a little concerned now. I already don’t like that there is no gauge on the instrument panel for the battery and nothing I can see in the driver display to see the battery health.
I just had mine replaced yesterday under warranty. Mine ended up have a dead cell in it. There are many threads lately with people having this same issue. I bought a battery maintainer right after I bought my Ranger and use it 3-4 days per week. It helps when you don't drive it much or for long distances to get the battery fully charged. With all the tech onboard there is always a constant draw on the battery. I would have your dealer check it out and maybe they will replace it for you. I would consider getting a trickle charger for added peace of mind.

Amazon has the exact one the Ford carries but cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD44RQ...olid=23F2DD1VHYN09&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:
OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I really hope the dealer replaces it. I’ll look at the Amazon link too.

NewEra1311

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine is at a low level also, I have found out these batteries aren't the best. I use my Ford App every morning to start my truck to warm It up. I know soon I'll need a replacement after 1 year of having my truck.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I would expect one to last 5 yrs. Vehicles now have lost of tech & it must draw, as
mentioned above(AzScorpion). Same issue came up on my sports car forum but mine is going on 7 yrs now. Hope Ford gives u a new one.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m wondering if I can find out what all is pulling from the battery when it sits. Has anyone done an analysis? Maybe some things, like the Auto Start/Stop, can be turned off to save battery life?

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I took it to the dealer who said the battery is good but weak. They recharged it and said if I have further issues to bring it back. On the way home the Auto Start/Stop still didn’t engage ?. At least I’ve taken the first step to getting the battery replaced under warranty if I continue to have problems.
I did ask about a battery maintainer but both I and the service writer decided at this point it’s better to wait and see how this battery does or I risk not getting a warranty replacement.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If my battery goes out, warranty or not, I'll replace it with an Optima. The last one lasted almost 8 years!

Interesting sidelight. I have nearly 5,800 miles on my 2019 Ranger, and it has yet to shut itself down at a light. Yes it is turned on (not disabled).

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My battery was being stupid (not remote starting, Sync shutting down to save power, etc). Dealer tested it and said it was fine, gave it a charge, etc... A few weeks later it was back to nonsense...

I ended up using Forscan to set the charge % to 90% (I think). It hasn't had trouble since I did that. I'm going to replace it with an Interstate AGM (or maybe somthing "better") as soon as it stops working. Kind of pisses me off because Ford wanted 300$+ (for parts) to change the battery when I asked.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I took it to the dealer who said the battery is good but weak. They recharged it and said if I have further issues to bring it back. On the way home the Auto Start/Stop still didn’t engage ?. At least I’ve taken the first step to getting the battery replaced under warranty if I continue to have problems.
I did ask about a battery maintainer but both I and the service writer decided at this point it’s better to wait and see how this battery does or I risk not getting a warranty replacement.
I would try and run it down as much as possible and let them replace it. I purposely left mine off the maintainer before bringing it in so it would be low. Come to find out there was a dead cell but a couple others had theirs replaced from being low. Hope they warranty yours next time as these AGM batteries are not cheap.

rfmanning

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
My battery was being stupid (not remote starting, Sync shutting down to save power, etc). Dealer tested it and said it was fine, gave it a charge, etc... A few weeks later it was back to nonsense...

I ended up using Forscan to set the charge % to 90% (I think). It hasn't had trouble since I did that. I'm going to replace it with an Interstate AGM (or maybe somthing "better") as soon as it stops working. Kind of pisses me off because Ford wanted 300$+ (for parts) to change the battery when I asked.
Just looked for that battery charge level 90% in Forscan. Couldn't find it. Could you share, please?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Just looked for that battery charge level 90% in Forscan. Couldn't find it. Could you share, please?
It says something like dual battery mode. I will have to plug in to find it, and I won't be able to do that until later today at the earliest. I think it's in the BCM unless there's a specific module for the battery maintainer.

MustangMike2021

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
Occupation
Tech
Adding My Experience--
Having the exact issues spelled out in this post, start/stop was constantly disabled, 12VDC power ports in cab and bed would shut off with ignition (Use to stay powered 2 hours after) Numerous dash and radio messages stating "Shut off to save battery"
2019 XLT FX4- 12K miles, daily driver (25 Miles a day), added some LED bed lights off the 12VDC bed pigtail (Use for camping, rarely)
Dealer Visit one- Sent to Quick Lane- 3 hours only to be told battery tested "Great" When I asked "What is the next step" told needed to do further diagnostics- Scheduled 2nd appt.
Dealer Visit Two- Acknowledged there is an issue with 'the computer' not recognizing battery is 'Great' because voltage is too low, but still feel battery is not the problem. Battery spent 3 hours on charger and driven for 30 minutes, but still can't get battery voltage high enough to 'teach' the computer the battery is fine. Asked what the next step is- Told they would prefer the have truck brought in night before so they can put battery on charger overnight to get the battery up to the needed voltage for computer. Also added that I may have caused the issue with over usage of my added bed lights (They haven't been used much in the last 6 months) Scheduled my 3rd appt.

My Take- If a 'great' battery on a charger for 3 hours, can't get fully charged, the battery is probably the issue

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Adding My Experience--
Having the exact issues spelled out in this post, start/stop was constantly disabled, 12VDC power ports in cab and bed would shut off with ignition (Use to stay powered 2 hours after) Numerous dash and radio messages stating "Shut off to save battery"
2019 XLT FX4- 12K miles, daily driver (25 Miles a day), added some LED bed lights off the 12VDC bed pigtail (Use for camping, rarely)
Dealer Visit one- Sent to Quick Lane- 3 hours only to be told battery tested "Great" When I asked "What is the next step" told needed to do further diagnostics- Scheduled 2nd appt.
Dealer Visit Two- Acknowledged there is an issue with 'the computer' not recognizing battery is 'Great' because voltage is too low, but still feel battery is not the problem. Battery spent 3 hours on charger and driven for 30 minutes, but still can't get battery voltage high enough to 'teach' the computer the battery is fine. Asked what the next step is- Told they would prefer the have truck brought in night before so they can put battery on charger overnight to get the battery up to the needed voltage for computer. Also added that I may have caused the issue with over usage of my added bed lights (They haven't been used much in the last 6 months) Scheduled my 3rd appt.

My Take- If a 'great' battery on a charger for 3 hours, can't get fully charged, the battery is probably the issue
Good luck with this issue - I admire your patience
Sponsored