We’re Off! Arizona - Colorado - South Dakota - Colorado - Utah and Back.

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
Hi Rick,
If you’re a veteran then you won’t need a National Park pass just proof of being a veteran. I can’t tell you how many fellow veterans never heard of it. If not then the annual pass is the way to go.. Here in California we have some NPs that requires a day use pass to just park. It covers that too!!
Oh heck yeah we have a lot of great destinations here that will rival anything overseas except the history aspect.
I’ve been to many foreign countries but this one is absolutely beautiful and has the most to see and offer.

Happy travels!!!
Hi Andy, I’m not a Vet but if the national parks are like the state parks in Ohio I can get a senior discount. I’m just thinking about that last statement, 20 years ago we would chuckle at the old folks getting their discount at McDonald’s now here I am talking about getting the same perks. Go figure!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, there is a short trip to Kolob Canyons which I highly recommend. It is north of Hurricane a short ways off I 15. Well worth the views and less than a half days trip.
Thanks Kent. It is a really nice area, we did do one hike there called Taylor Creek Trial back in 2020. You had to cross like 23 water crossings and at the end was this picture below. We might get up early this week and do a different one if Annies knee is up to it.

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3125-1.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dave, there is a short trip to Kolob Canyons which I highly recommend. It is north of Hurricane a short ways off I 15. Well worth the views and less than a half days trip.
Hi Kent,

Concur! Margie & I spent the whole day hiking in Kolob!

Best,
Phil

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Hey Dave!
If you’re still in the area; and I’m sure you’re aware, but just in case….

5CDDD65D-A714-4A3F-AAC1-091A31776F87.jpeg

1BD69736-CF88-4900-8BE9-4D5187C6352E.jpeg

Here’s how it turned out a couple of days ago for some unexpecting folks in Capital Reef….

085DFA64-84AA-4FF0-BB2F-9A68C9BD78EE.jpeg

Be Safe!
~Bryan ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jim, you are absolutely right. The wife and I are starting to plan things out now. I just got the email from Ford my truck is built so this year is going to be a little bit lean as I want the note off the books this year. We are going to take a year off from doing anything big and in 2024 she would like to go to Hawaii and island surf. My daughter is floating the idea of doing an Alaskan cruise as a family since my granddaughters are getting older. My son and daughter in law are big into the national parks and love hiking, they have invited us on a small vacation as my grandsons are almost old enough to do those types of vacations. Dave has given us a look at what the United States has to offer, there is so much to see and do in the States why should we travel abroad? Thanks Dave for opening the eyes of some of us.
That's the way to do it Rick. If you have any questions just drop me a PM for some tips we've learned along the way. I'm a big planner as I don't like to shoot from the hip when we're on a long road trip. Knowing things ahead of time keeps the stress level down, and it helps things run smoother for us.

Like you I used to laugh at those senior discounts. But hell, we have worked hard for those discounts, so Imma gonna use 'em.......... :)

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Like you I used to laugh at those senior discounts. But hell, we have worked hard for those discounts, so Imma gonna use 'em.......... :)
You betya, take everyone you can get. The wife and I were lucky enough to get our lifetime senior national parks passes before they raised the prices. Got them for $25 each. To bad I don't think it give any preference for reservations. AARP work at a lot of hotels and at a lot of resterants you just have to ask.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's the way to do it Rick. If you have any questions just drop me a PM for some tips we've learned along the way. I'm a big planner as I don't like to shoot from the hip when we're on a long road trip. Knowing things ahead of time keeps the stress level down, and it helps things run smoother for us.

You betya, take everyone you can get. The wife and I were lucky enough to get our lifetime senior national parks passes before they raised the prices. Got them for $25 each. To bad I don't think it give any preference for reservations. AARP work at a lot of hotels and at a lot of resterants you just have to ask.
There are some places that'll give you a senior discount at 55. I remember the first time I asked what the age was at a local restaurant and we received the senior discount. I was both happy and sad at the same time. Sad because now I'm old enough to get the discount but happy because the Polish in me just loves any kind of discount! ??

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey Dave!
If you’re still in the area; and I’m sure you’re aware, but just in case….

5CDDD65D-A714-4A3F-AAC1-091A31776F87.jpeg

1BD69736-CF88-4900-8BE9-4D5187C6352E.jpeg

Here’s how it turned out a couple of days ago for some unexpecting folks in Capital Reef….

085DFA64-84AA-4FF0-BB2F-9A68C9BD78EE.jpeg

Be Safe!
~Bryan ?
Thanks for the warning Bryan. We did see this earlier and changed our plans for today because there's been a lot of these storms popping up lately. We were going to go to Cedar Breaks but they had a 40% chance of storms starting at 1:00 pm so we held off until tomorrow which looks much clearer. There's some crazy weather going on out here between the flooding at Yellowstone and these flash floods through UT. I'm a freak when it comes to planning and watching the weather so I always check it several times a day as things can change in an instant as these poor people have found out. I appreciate the heads up!!:like::D

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
maybe the upside is the area really needs more water. ive heard the lakes out west are getting shallow.
Lake Mead is drying up faster than expected. Finding lots of bodies as the water recedes. Mob hits, anyone?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Today we went up to Kolob Canyon. This is still part of Zion NP but it's much less crowded and also a lot smaller. The drive to the top is only 5 miles but there's still some great views along the way. We did the 5 mile Taylor Creek Trail last time and figured another easy day would be good for Annies knee. It's a great place to kill a day and not be swarmed with people like in Zion.

After Kent @Radioman mentioned it yesterday it got me thinking the last time we went there we never did the drive up to the top. There's a small hike (3/4 mile each way) you can do once up there which give you a view way out to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Also with the flash flood warnings around the state we felt better staying close by and changing our plans we had today for tomorrow. I know to some these all look the same but we really like the different colors and formations and amazed at the history on the way they were formed.

These are just sight on the drive to the top.

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7125.jpg

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
At the top you get some great views and can really see how big these formations are. I couldn't get the whole mountain in one shot so I had to clip them off. The second picture is the far right mountain going by the scale of the first picture then each one follows to the left.

IMG_7131.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7133.jpg

IMG_7135.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The trail starts off flat for about 1/3 of it then steps up from there and becomes rocky but not to bad as Annie was able to make it all the way up.

IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

There was a forest ranger up there and he was telling us some of the history and pointed out where the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was. It's hard to see but it's the second plateau way off dead center of the picture. It's about 160 miles away.

IMG_7141.jpg

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Dave, Cedar Breaks has some awesome views. My buddy who lived in St George took us up there 4 yrs ago. Then we circled around behind Zion and came back down thru it. Sadly he just passed away so I may not get out that way again soon.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would do Angels Landing again. No questions asked!
Hi Bob,

When I did Angels Landing I was the only Blue Hair up there.... Dangerous...yep! Worth it? you bet!

Best,
Phil
Sponsored